Songs from your generation that your parents also enjoyed.

same as my father, I never heard him listen to music, or even sing a song.

OTOH my paternal Grandmother..loved music, she kept up with all the latest chart hits, she'd sing them, she'd have music evenings at her home, she'd play the harmonica at her old people club, and on their coach trips.. to entertain them.

She was always interested in buying the Disco 45 which was the magazine when I was a teen that came out fortnightly , with the printed lyrics of all the latest chart songs.. ..but she loved the old songs too.. and she had a passion for a Scottish folk singer called Sydney Devine, and she kept up a correspondence with him.

Even when I was little she would teach me his songs, and have me sing them in front of everyone at family get togethers.. I still cringe at the thought :D
Your grandmother sounds like she was very cool. :D

My mother loved Wayne Newton's songs, while I "tolerated" them.

When she first heard the Marcels' doo-wop version of "Blue Moon", I thought her head was going to explode. She thought it was a travesty of the popular original version of the 30's and 40's, written by Rogers and Hart. Music was very important to my mother, having played piano with bands during the 1940's. She didn't care for modern versions of the 40's classics.

I remember how dreadfully offended my daughter and her friends were when we "oldie parents" knew the words to music that they thought was "new" but was actually recycled 60's songs. One of the mothers and I were driving the girls somewhere and a "new" song came on the radio and we started singing it. Dead silence from the back seat and then a scandalized voice asked, "HOW DO YOU KNOW THOSE WORDS? THAT JUST CAME OUT TODAY!!!" They were not.pleased.at.all when we explained that it was a big hit in OUR teen years.

I always found it funny that my dad was concerned about the "sex ,drugs, and rock and roll" aspect of the music I listened to and yet was a Hank Williams Sr fan. I called him out on it later in my life and it was one of the few times that he conceded that I won that battle...

My mother loved Wayne Newton's songs, while I "tolerated" them.

When she first heard the Marcels' doo-wop version of "Blue Moon", I thought her head was going to explode. She thought it was a travesty of the popular original version of the 30's and 40's, written by Rogers and Hart. Music was very important to my mother, having played piano with bands during the 1940's. She didn't care for modern versions of the 40's classics.

I remember how dreadfully offended my daughter and her friends were when we "oldie parents" knew the words to music that they thought was "new" but was actually recycled 60's songs. One of the mothers and I were driving the girls somewhere and a "new" song came on the radio and we started singing it. Dead silence from the back seat and then a scandalized voice asked, "HOW DO YOU KNOW THOSE WORDS? THAT JUST CAME OUT TODAY!!!" They were not.pleased.at.all when we explained that it was a big hit in OUR teen years.
Exactly that. That was my father's only contribution to anything remotely musical, when he'd say that there was nothing new in the music world, and that all our favourite pop songs were rewrites of sons from his youth

Exactly that. That was my father's only contribution to anything remotely musical, when he'd say that there was nothing new in the music world, and that all our favourite pop songs were rewrites of sons from his youth
I must admit I sometimes take the same view as your father but I know I am wrong.....just me being cranky as I get older :D

I must admit I sometimes take the same view as your father but I know I am wrong.....just me being cranky as I get older :D
Oh yes I'm sure we all do it now when we hear a song from our youth being played by a youngster ... funny thing was that a bunch of youngsters came past me a week or 2 ago and they literally had an old boombox, and they were playing and singing at the top of their voices to ''sweet Caroline''..:D

@oslooskar Wow. That was before my time but I listened to KGO radio news talk in San Francisco literally since I was a kid, since the 60's.

My father used to take our family dog to work with him in the late 1930s and early 40s. However, he worked as a radio engineer at KSFO his last 20 years in the radio business before retiring.

Attachments

• Victor 5.jpg
    Victor 5.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 7
I've a box of about 20 albums mum and dad had from their days - from memory, there's Mario Lanza, the rat pack folk (Sinatra, Dean etc) The Platters, The Ink Spots, Hogey Carmichael, opera and the big bands.

Mum had more periods in mental health institutions than being at home after being diagnosed mentally ill 1960 (she was 40 then, I was 10). Looking back at pictures going back to when I was 2 and 3, her eyes were 'dead' or 'vacant' even then. So, I never really 'knew' her that much and only got to know what was inside her head from when I was about 40+ when her medical treatment changed and she became more of a 'person' and had a character. I remember she played classical music a lot on the piano when I was younger.

When I knew her as a 'person' and she listened to modern music from some of the albums I'd collected over the years and what blasted out over the radio, she particularly loved (see below) - Dad was convinced she needed sectioning again re the first three. It tickled me - you go Mum! šŸ˜

Dad, detested popular music and the bands from the 60s onwards, probably because of his profession. He abhorred The Animals, Rolling Stones, The Beatles (although he ranted more about the length of their hair) and Dusty Springfield. The only person he never said a bad word about was Lulu. (yawn)

Laughing Gnome - Bowie

Please Mr. Gravedigger - Bowie

Eminem - The Real Slim Shady

Labi Siffre-Something Inside So Strong

My father used to take our family dog to work with him in the late 1930s and early 40s. However, he worked as a radio engineer at KSFO his last 20 years in the radio business before retiring.
isn't it funny how there's nothing new under the sun.... 90 years after your father took his beloved pooch to work.. my daughter did the same when she was presenting her radio show... She had 7 dogs and her show was at weekends for 2 hours each day, so she would give each dog their turn at the Mic...:D

stan-tak-radio-HD.jpg

Back