St. Augustine, Fla. Vacation

Do your research online. There should be information about interesting things to do for visitors (ie: like the Trip Advisor link I provided for Ft. Myers.)

St. Augustine doesn't disappoint.

Be sure to visit the mission and the fort. There's a beautiful cathedral and the Greek Orthodox "museum" is interesting. There's also a "art" big museum that's full of somewhat odd things. Flagler College is right downtown and has beautiful architecture.

Of, course, there are lots of "Oldest _________" attractions and other touristy stuff.

If you're into golf, there's a big golf museum just outside of town on I-95.

Be prepared for heat. I don't know why, but I swear St. Augustine is the hottest and most humid spot on earth. But don't worry, there are plenty of places to stop and get a cold beverage. Good food, too.

Be sure to visit the mission and the fort. There's a beautiful cathedral and the Greek Orthodox "museum" is interesting. There's also a "art" big museum that's full of somewhat odd things. Flagler College is right downtown and has beautiful architecture.
I always do a few walks on the beautiful mission grounds... helps me feel better about some of that... uh... abundance of food. :giggle: Another great walk is the "boardwalk" they built for walking at Fort Matanzas. We've done the walk many times but haven't yet gone across (ferry). Last few times hurricanes had it closed down but it's on the list for next time... hopefully later this year!

I got an airbnb for myself and daughters on the beach there for a week in September of 2016 and we had a blast. It was only like a 10 minute drive to downtown St Augustine but I read in the forum somewhere that it's overrun by tourists during the tourist season so it may take longer to get around now. The beach was great. One night was noisy from party-goers along the street there.

We walked up and down the old streets and every nook and cranny was super interesting. I can't remember the name of a place we went for lunch but it was in a charming downtown historic courtyard.

"St. Augustine Fish Camp" and "Harry's Seafood Bar and Grill" look like good places to eat..$20-$30.

Used to stop-over there, on our way to and back from Florida during our winter stays. We actually spent our 3 months in the Punta Gorda area and before that, in LaBelle which sadly ( from internet articles ) is a place to stay away from in recent years.

Be sure to visit the Star Fort while you are in St. Augustine ! It is called “Castillo de San Marcos “ National Monument, and it is SO old and SO awesome to see. My daughter took me there on our trip to Orlando , and I just loved seeing the old history.
We have a lot of Star Forts in America, and this is probably one of the most well-known ones.

Castillo de San Marcos @ Starforts.com

IMG_0185.jpeg

I got an airbnb for myself and daughters on the beach there for a week in September of 2016 and we had a blast. It was only like a 10 minute drive to downtown St Augustine but I read in the forum somewhere that it's overrun by tourists during the tourist season so it may take longer to get around now. The beach was great. One night was noisy from party-goers along the street there.

We walked up and down the old streets and every nook and cranny was super interesting. I can't remember the name of a place we went for lunch but it was in a charming downtown historic courtyard.

"St. Augustine Fish Camp" and "Harry's Seafood Bar and Grill" look like good places to eat..$20-$30.
The year that we visited St. Augustine, a large group of motorcyclists showed up. Tons of them. It was noisy and busy.

The year that we visited St. Augustine, a large group of motorcyclists showed up. Tons of them. It was noisy and busy.
We were there for Bike Week one year... and every trip after that I made sure to plan it for another time... any other time. :giggle: Love those bikers... all so polite and friendly, but the noise plus the danger to them after having seen a few accidents made me want to avoid it.

Back