The 3 Body Problem series on TV

Rose65

We like a science fiction drama now and again and so watched the first episode, then part of the second. There just came a point where I gave up.

It was mainly the swearing, every single sentence. Also the unrealistic characters, smoking nonstop, talking in unintelligible terms and apparently doing nothing but gazing upwards. I hated it and think it a lot of nonsense. I ended up not finding any characters likeable and not caring what was going to happen.

Have you seen it or read the book - is that any better?

The Three Body Problem is one of those works that is so dense that many consider it impossible to adapt for a mere movie or series. The Chinese tried to serialize it for TV and it took 30 episodes. The full three book series spans 330+ years. There are some non-linear timeline issues as well. (That's an interesting story in itself.)

I can't disagree with the comments about the language in the Netflix show. It did seem a bit gratuitous, and I don't remember it being that bad in the book. I have, over the last 5 or 6 years, read the first book "The Three Body Problem" and the second "The Dark Forest". I have not yet started the third "Death's End". Interestingly, though I prefer audiobooks and have them, the story requires so much focus that I found physical reading the only way to get through them.

For me, at least, it was a very heavy read - but as a hard science fiction nerd, a very satisfying heavy read.

We like a science fiction drama now and again and so watched the first episode, then part of the second. There just came a point where I gave up.

It was mainly the swearing, every single sentence. Also the unrealistic characters, smoking nonstop, talking in unintelligible terms and apparently doing nothing but gazing upwards. I hated it and think it a lot of nonsense. I ended up not finding any characters likeable and not caring what was going to happen.

Have you seen it or read the book - is that any better?
Thanks for the review, Rose. I like some sci-fi but this didn't appeal to me so I didn't put it in my list. Good to know I can skip this one. I dislike foul language in movies. Is it really necessary to make a movie good? I don't think so but that's the culture we live in now. Movies back in the 40's/50's didn't have all that language and they were the best movies made. That's why they're called classics.

Thanks for the review, Rose. I like some sci-fi but this didn't appeal to me so I didn't put it in my list. Good to know I can skip this one. I dislike foul language in movies. Is it really necessary to make a movie good? I don't think so but that's the culture we live in now. Movies back in the 40's/50's didn't have all that language and they were the best movies made. That's why they're called classics.
I don't mind some swearing, I'm realistic. However, as in life and in films I get very irritated when every single sentence includes the F word. Surely that is the territory of stupid limited vocabulary people, not of apparently intelligent scientists as in this,? Not my idea of time well spent, watching stuff that makes my head dizzy!

I am depressed it's true, but the film is nonsense! Well, maybe clever people can fathom it out but it's too much hard work trying to work out what is going on in it.
You sound depressed. Every type of person can get depressed. Unfortunately depression messes with our judgement. It messes with perception. That’s not to say your opinion is wrong. Depression can cloud our judgment

Read the first book. Not crazy about the show. It makes the book seem silly. Maybe the book was silly! I remember liking it a lot when I read it- but that was some time ago.

I'm losing interest in episode 7, looks like their won't be a resolution to the storyline, without an additional season(2) which I don't feel like investing my time and attention to.

I watched 3 Body Problem on Netflix, and found it convoluted and enigmatic, but couldn’t turn away, either…then again, I’m a sucker for anything that involves aliens! The reach of the series may have exceeded its grasp…

Back