The fascination of stunt doubles

Rose65

I and no doubt most people find identical twins fascinating enough but the world of stunt doubles is on another level. I came across this aspect of films in a recent book about unusual and risky occupations. What we see most of the time is so deceptive, necessarily.

The life of stunt men and women must be one of the most courageous possible. They take all the risks, all the injuries and pain, while the star takes all the glory. Some great actors take almost no risk at all, due to insurance. I find that astonishing.

I and no doubt most people find identical twins fascinating enough but the world of stunt doubles is on another level. I came across this aspect of films in a recent book about unusual and risky occupations. What we see most of the time is so deceptive, necessarily.

The life of stunt men and women must be one of the most courageous possible. They take all the risks, all the injuries and pain, while the star takes all the glory. Some great actors take almost no risk at all, due to insurance. I find that astonishing.
I was wondering about this subject. Shouldn't AI be an asset for actors & their stunt doubles. Won't that be a field that could be replaced? One occupation at risk.

Creepy thought. Some actors & actresses have body doubles that stand in for love making scenes. Julia Roberts used one for some of her scenes in 'Pretty Woman'.

Last edited:
I was wondering about this subject. Shouldn't AI be an asset for actors & their stunt doubles. Won't that be a field that could be replaced? One occupation at risk.

Creepy thought. Some actors & actresses have body doubles that stand in for love making scenes. Julia Roberts used one for some of her scenes in 'Pretty Woman'.
For all sorts of difficult scenarios no doubt. It is an odd thought.

My aversion to the whole AI hype stems from the information that followed one of my favorite movies - Academy award winner for best picture 'Gladiator' was filled with CGI images from start to finish. In fact my little dog would not be named Maximus if I had known the truth before hand.

Back