The Pig Butchering Scam - Watch Out!

Michael Z

The scam did not surprise me but the fact it is being carried out by trafficked people did surprise me. And the Cambodian government and police are not doing a thing to stop it! You will have to go to YouTube to watch this BBC documentary. If you get a text from a stranger that seems to be a “wrong number“, and that person tries to engage you in small talk, this is how it is initiated.

Last edited:
This is very very sad. I know it’s supposed to be funny but it’s really not. Some people are very naive and gullible.
Jon Olivers' show is notorious for taking on the horrible stuff. It is hard to watch sometimes. Freedom of speech thing I guess? Over on the sidebar there was a one of his shows about a month ago they put on "Israel Palestine War". I watched some it...about 3 minutes. Too weird for me.

This is very very sad. I know it’s supposed to be funny but it’s really not. Some people are very naive and gullible
Back in December one of my sister's told my other sister and I that she had "met" someone. She could not say who it was because this person was rather famous. Of course my other sister and I were suspicious but let it go. Long story short, my sister fell for a celebrity FB scam and three months later she told us she was out $20,000. My sister is a very smart 69 year old woman . However she lost her husband in 2021 and from what I have learned was very lonely. She hid it very well.

Anyway, my sister is not naive but she certainly was in a gullible and venerable state. These people seem to know how to target and manipulate men or women in such a state. Of course most people do not fall for it but all it takes is one like my sister for them to get what they want. I still can't my head wrapped around the whole thing but I do not judge her. People can do things they normally would not do when in a vulnerable and emotionally unstable state.

Last edited:
Back in December one of my sister's told my other sister and I that she had "met" someone. She could not say who it was because this person was rather famous. Of course my other sister and I were suspicious but let it go. Long story short, my sister fell for a celebrity FB scam and three months later she told us she was out $20,000. My sister is a very smart 69 year old woman . However she lost her husband in 2021 and from what I have learned was very lonely. She hid it very well.

Anyway, my sister is not naive but she certainly was in a gullible and venerable state. These people seem to know how to target and manipulate men or women in such a state. Of course most people do not fall for it but all it takes is one like my sister for them to get what they want. I still can't my head wrapped around the whole thing but I do not judge her. People can do things they normally would not do when in a venerable and emotionally unstable state.
This is very sad news Mark. I think I remember you telling us in a different thread.
Loneliness makes most of us more vulnerable. I don’t know what I’d do without my partner.

Your poor sisters friend was vulnerable and trusting. These people are groomed. These scammers have a certain deceitful method of grooming their catfishing. All these people were super lonely so were extra vulnerable. Your poor sister. Many people who find out the truth still keep handing out funds to depletion. They are somewhat brainwashed.

Last edited:
I just read more about this on the US DOJ site. I'm at a loss about how it could possibly be successful with people handing over money like that but I do know it keeps happening. I'd be reluctant to hand a grand over to someone I know, let alone mega thousands to strangers. I haven't found anything yet that explains what differentiates it from catfishing/other online romance scams... anyone know? The case I read about involved crypto, but that may have been an isolated factor.

Anyway, my sister is not naive but she certainly was in a gullible and venerable state. These people seem to know how to target and manipulate men or women in such a state. Of course most people do not fall for it but all it takes is one like my sister for them to get what they want. I still can't my head wrapped around the whole thing but I do not judge her. People can do things they normally would not do when in a venerable and emotionally unstable state.
I think you meant to write "Vulnerable " ? JimB.

This is very sad news Mark. I think I remember you telling us in a different thread.
Loneliness makes most of us more vulnerable. I don’t know what I’d do without my partner.

Your poor sisters friend was vulnerable and trusting. These people are groomed. These scammers have a certain deceitful method of grooming their catfishing. All these people were super lonely so were extra vulnerable. Your poor sister. Many people who find out the truth still keep handing out funds to depletion. They are somewhat brainwashed.
The "double bite scam " goes like this..The target gets messages claiming " WE can help you get your money BACK ". Of course the hook is that this too, is a scam . Double scammed. JimB.

The "double bite scam " goes like this..The target gets messages claiming " WE can help you get your money BACK ". Of course the hook is that this too, is a scam . Double scammed. JimB.
That’s a horrible thing to do. When I was looking after my dad I heard him going through some type of blackmail- / deception. They’d have a loud siren go through his speakers and show directions how to get out of the scam. Each time they did this they’d ask for $300 which my dad would give them.
The next time they did it I talked with them and it was the last I heard of them. They were blackmailing my dad.

I just read more about this on the US DOJ site. I'm at a loss about how it could possibly be successful with people handing over money like that but I do know it keeps happening. I'd be reluctant to hand a grand over to someone I know, let alone mega thousands to strangers. I haven't found anything yet that explains what differentiates it from catfishing/other online romance scams... anyone know? The case I read about involved crypto, but that may have been an isolated factor.
From what I have learned, and I have been there myself, it's because people get vulnerable - losses, heartbreaks - and the perpretrators can sense that so they strike.

I also think we older people, so many of us have been raised to respect authority and authority figures. Like, arguing with police as many younger people will do, I could never do that. I see a man in a uniform wearing a gun and I'm most likely going to do what he says unless he acts obviously fake or tells me to do something I obviously know is dangerous or illegal.

So, the stories I have heard of, where the caller will tell a person they are in trouble with some government agency, those victims obviously have a fear of the government.

My late sibling was on SSI and even though I explained to him a few times that it was permanent, they had ruled him permanently disabled, he was always afraid they would take it away.

He used to rent out a room and even though I found out that they would not reduce his benefits unless he earned over $X0,000 amount of dollars from the room, he had to be urged to report it because he was so afraid of the government. By not reporting it, then he could get dropped.

Likewise, I do not understand the very wealthy who won't pay their taxes. Not paying can get people in big trouble. But fear makes people do non-sensical things.

IDK - I guess I have a different opinion of the government because I got through college only thanks to Federal student loans. Since 2014 I have had health insurance ONLY because of the government.

My ex-spouse could not be bothered to help me out with $300 a month for insurance, the mother of his only children, but the government can be bothered to help me out after 2014.

Now I get a small SS payment and Medicare, ONLY because of the government.

Scammers pick up on what people are ignorant about or terrified of, and they twist that knife.

Actually, for this particular scam run from a trafficked compound in Cambodia, the person befriending the victim does not ask for money, but instead shares an "investment opportunity" after as much as a month (or more) of socially interacting with the victim. So it is no longer a stranger, or so it seems. And after one or two small investments where the money is doubled and the victim actually can make cash withdrawals, the larger sums are then "invested", only to be lost to the scam.

The people working for the scammers are also the victims here. They are Chinese and others thinking they are getting a job as a "telemarketer". Once in, they are held at gunpoint and if they do not produce as instructed, they are beaten and tortured. It is a tremendous crime against humanity all the way around and I don't think the US and other free nations should be giving ONE PENNY in aid to Cambodia until this stops!

Online romance scams are a type of catfishing. The scammers are trying to make the victims believe the other person is falling in love with them and once they know, they will take everything. It’s really sad that humans can do that kind of thing to each other. Very sad.

Yes, I heard a story about it on NPR. But I also recommend the AARP podcast, "The Perfect Scam". It has been on the leading edge of trying to inform listeners of the organized crime rings behind these scams.

I haven't watched the entire video yet, but it's something that the young man became the head of a company made up of scammers because he wrote the scam manual that they use! I guess there are a lot of scam companies even though I always thought of scammers as working alone. I hope there's a special place in hell for these heartless SOBs. The Chinese woman in the first story has beautiful skin, an adorable dog and handsome son (just things I noticed right off the bat). She is obviously an intelligent woman who became an entrepreneur and had already been through so much with her cancer and deteriorating marriage, then to get scammed! The video is now saved in my YT account and I will watch more of it later.

I realized since the Bernie Madoff days that I wouldn't be investing with any private person or firm on recommendations from friends or so called agents of those companies. If it's not a well established brokerage that I can deal with directly, I'm not interested.
@MarkinPhx It's so sad that your sister got scammed. I hope that $20,000 wasn't all the money she had.

A place in hell might be nice for them, but hey, why can't NATO work together to build a new prison for these criminals? That's kind of a joke - that's not really NATO's role, I don't think.

But seriously, why can't partner nations work together to build a new prison with no access to the Internet for prisoners whatsoever, not even email, and build it where? IDK - think of one of the least corrupt governments you know of and build it there.

Think of it this way: Every DIME they steal from Americans or Canadians or the Brits is money THAT WILL NOT LONGER BE TAXED by their home nations. Therefore, the government is losing out on tax revenue also thanks to these crimes.

So yeah - make it a Federal crime and build another prison for this particular brand of criminal and their accomplices. Or just add a wing to an existing Federal prison.

Similarly, as people pay Coyotes about $8,000 each to get help getting to the U.S., that $8,000 each is helping out the GDPs of Mexico and other nations that house the cartels increase.

This is why I DO NOT UNDERSTAND our nation's great romance with capitalism as we practice it now. It's been a great evil in many ways from the very start, which is why some professors very much want Black History taught in all high schools, or a REVISED version of U.S. History to show all the years of exploitation.

Just LOOK at the cycle of Organized Crime that compels people to try to get into the U.S.:

Step 1 - let the gangs take over the country. Politicians says, "I'm getting paid so f*** the peons."

Step 2 - Gangs terrorize the peons and demand "taxes" or they will rape your daughter or burn down your business, or both. Can NEVER satisfy the tax because there will always be a NEW way to terrorize victims.

Step 3 - Victims want to leave so gangs demand $8,000 to "help" them. Do they have exclusive knowledge of routes out? Maybe. Depends on if there is any cell service at all in corrupt nations. Depends on if the ignorant poor person knows how to get maps, cellphone, use cellphone, etc., etc. Depends on if the gang controls every mile of the route.

Step 4 - Transport "peons" to U.S., with "taxes" charged along the way and threats of harm or just plain old rape without reason at all, and when they get there, arrange to have them pay the gangs what they owe them via wire transfers they can do at any Walmart. Or via all these sad apps.

Step 5: Both liberals and conservatives welcome all the cheap labor, any labor, because so many U.S. kids don't want to work at McDonalds for the next 10 years. So many U.S. kids don't want to be CNAs for the next 15 years. Business welcomes the labor because rest home owners very much want to pay CNAs as little as possible and who will better accept that than an abused rape survivor from Guatemala or Haiti who has been beaten down by gang members before she got to the States? Those gang members can keep on threatening her here too. They can find her. U.S. business basically use those gang threats to keep labor wages low.

I've heard the Evangelicals say for YEARS that "God is going to crush American because of the evil of abortion!" No. If their version of "God" crushes America, it will be because of this evil I have just described here.

But don't even look at America from the Evangelical's perspective - just look America from the difference of what our founding documents say, what the Bill of Rights says, verses how American business REALLY works.

Put it in Psychology terms: This is the Victim - Persecutor - Rescuer Triangle set up between nations and organized crime.
There is a ton of information about this unhealthy, conflict-filled triangle out there. Here is just one site: Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle. *(Caviat: I only chose this BPD site because I liked how it discussed the Karpman Triangle. I do not knowingly know anyone with BPD, nor have I ever been diagnosed with it myself. However I do know of someone is a Dr. Jekyll/ Mr Hyde and that is my ex. But I don't know his formal diagnoses because I'm not a psychologist and he always refused to go to therapy because he is "perfect" in every way.)

One important point on this site is this:

"Who Wins in a Karpman Drama Triangle"

"Typically no one. If we’re in a drama triangle, what we’re getting is drama. The price we pay is not getting what we truly want or need."

Whenever I criticize capitalism the way 'Murica does it, I think some people hear me saying, "I want all you rich people to be POOR!" That is not what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is, "There is no good or decent reason why the nation has to be in SO MUCH PAIN with young people flocking to anything that makes them feel better, young people wishing Boomers would just hurry up and die, and seeing little but lives full of despair before them.

Can the very wealthy perceive that if your earnings drop because you have to pay 10% or 15% in taxes, that will NOT make you suffer. And do the ultra-wealthy even know what real suffering is? Have any of these wealthy men lived with a broken arm for three days w/o treatment, or been in 12 hours of childbirth labor w/o painkillers? Or even been forced to make a choice to shop for clothes at the Goodwill because you can only spend $5 on a shirt?"

So many of these wealthy men - they don't know what genuine suffering is, but they cry out as if they do. They are VERY good at outcry. That's one thing I have noticed about the wealthy - so many of them are so good at SUCKING all the air out of the room. They even take up the AIR they are so freakin' self-righteous.
Our leaders can figure out how to GET OUT of the Drama Triangle with other nations and gangs if they choose to first SEE IT and then choose to figure out ways out of it.
Is the way we do capitalism NOW a win-win situation for both parties? Or for both people and businesses? Not really! Not when you examine it closely. Our capitalism is win-lose.

BTW - The Press (major media) LOVES the Drama Triangle. The Press does not want the Drama Triangle to end. They love to send reporters to cover it.

Last edited:
The video is unavailable for viewing here.

Here’s a simple example from a tech site, Kim Komando Today

Dear Kim, A new Facebook friend says she has an aunt who is really good with crypto. I wanted to know your thoughts before I give the aunt $10,000© Provided by Daily Mail

Dear Jim

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Jim. This is a classic pig butchering scam.

I know it all feels like things just fell into place — and that's the point.

How am I so sure? What's happening here is following the exact script these criminals use. I'll outline it for you.

Cold outreach: It starts with a random text, friend request, DM or comment.

Sometimes, the person claims it's the wrong number — or they just liked your profile picture. They're friendly and chatty.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't keep talking if I hit the wrong number.

Feeding time: Your new friend slowly builds up your trust.

They want to know about your life, maybe send you photos and tell you about what they're in.

After a while, money comes up. It's usually under the guise of an investment opportunity.

They did so well in crypto that they want to share it with you, too.

Fattening the pig: This is where money changes hands — but only a small amount.

They'll ask you to test with a small investment. Surprise, your money is growing already!

The person might send you a video, photos or even an account to log in to where you can see how well your investment is going.

Slowly but surely, they'll convince you to add more and more to the account.

Slaughter: Now you're convinced and have invested even more. At this stage, victims can be in for tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Higher net-worth targets might have millions sitting with the scammer.

You may realize something is wrong in this phase and ask to remove your money. By now, it's way too late. Enough pushing and the scammer disappears — along with all your money.

It's time to unfriend and block your new pal.

Back