Things you won't find anymore...

@Paladin1950, might need the rabbit ears from your post instead of the lamp. :)

View attachment 334728
I remember when I got my first Dansette record player.. my father decried it as a piece of rubbish that would never catch on.....pointing to the radiogram in the livngroom.. saying now THAT is a piece of furniture..
568779_xl.jpg
ce29ed81bbe29ed49feb786e1047d013.jpg

Chocolate Extract or flavoring. I've found such as vanilla of all sorts, anise, and believe it or not root beer at my local grocery. But no chocolate. Chocolate cake mix tastes nothing like the chocolate cake mom used to make. So add a dash of extract? Find some. So instead I put chocolate syrup (as over ice cream) on top the cake and then spred the nearly tasteless frosting over it. Without the chocolate syrup it simply all tastes sweet. I fear for children in the future who will have no idea what chocolate cake tastes like. Chocolate cake, another thing never seen again? Not on my watch!

Chocolate Extract or flavoring. I've found such as vanilla of all sorts, anise, and believe it or not root beer at my local grocery. But no chocolate. Chocolate cake mix tastes nothing like the chocolate cake mom used to make. So add a dash of extract? Find some. So instead I put chocolate syrup (as over ice cream) on top the cake and then spred the nearly tasteless frosting over it. Without the chocolate syrup it simply all tastes sweet. I fear for children in the future who will have no idea what chocolate cake tastes like. Chocolate cake, another thing never seen again? Not on my watch!
One reason why you are having trouble is that the 2 source countries for cocoa in Africa have had a number of years of low production, due to bad weather, and plant blight problems. As a result the world wide supply is low, with resulting high wholesale prices around the world, not just in the USA. Link. Climatic conditions lead to historic cocoa price spike - MyJoyOnline

Its not just a US problem. Jimb.

An interesting thing about this. My brother now lives down in the U.S., in California. Some years back, there was a scrub-land wildfire accompanied by winds. The fire was north & east of his town, and moving into the town's outskirts. Besides burning homes & business locations, it melted power lines. Wi-fi didn't work, cell-phone towers went out of service, and his & wife's house was dark at night. They took turns sleeping at night, because info they could get was through local radio, and through phone conversations via a land line they had. I was actually able to talk with them by phone while the fires were approaching within a mile of their house.

Many people around where I live keep a land line in addition to owning a cell phone.
@JBR-If your brother lives in Northern California-and particularly if he lives in a smaller community,he may find that AT&T is going to be eliminating all landlines soon. This is happening in the County where I lived-population of County approx. 63,000.

My best friend lives in the Napa Valley but in a more isolated area.They are talking about eliminating her landline as well. Problem is,she gets no cell service there,so in order to make a phone call,she would have to get in her car and drive closer to town. Given that she lives alone,has had a stroke and has A-Fib,it`s pretty scary.

Back