Too little too late- once again

Not quite sure what this is about, beyond the obvious. Is the insinuation that recruitment for the armed forces is down because potential candidates didn't want to take a vaccine? For me, if they don't, they're not fit for the task anyway. It does take an ounce of common sense, right?

I’m glad not everyone thinks like you do.

Being in the military is all about discipline, conforming to the standards sets, and obeying command. If you fall at the first fence, you're disqualifying yourself. That's my view. Are these people going to obey a command to defend the country? Defend the Constitution, or will they say no because of some belief they have?

I've fully vaccinated, and I had zero bad effects from it, as do the vast majority of people. The military live in close contact with each other, so the risk of communicating Covid-19 is high. Minimizing the impact of an infection is protecting not only themselves, but the many. It is ensuring that impact of an infection does not have a larger effect on our ability to defend ourselves.

You and I clearly feel differently about it, and that's all good, you do you. For me, you don't join the military with a set of caveats. You're there to serve. You, apparently, feel differently about it, and at the end of the day neither you nor I are making these decisions. But I repeat, if the only reason someone doesn't want to sign up to serve is a Covid vaccine, then I don't they're fit for the task. That's fine, they can do something else.

@Mr. Ed Just asked "Who owns your life?" Does power and money run your life? Do numbers run your life? Not mine. Never will. I let something else do that, because the former is way to narrow a master. I try to let the bigger picture inform me of "reality". Power, money, numbers, are just small pieces to our matrix.

Being in the military is all about discipline, conforming to the standards sets, and obeying command. If you fall at the first fence, you're disqualifying yourself. That's my view. Are these people going to obey a command to defend the country? Defend the Constitution, or will they say no because of some belief they have?

I've fully vaccinated, and I had zero bad effects from it, as do the vast majority of people. The military live in close contact with each other, so the risk of communicating Covid-19 is high. Minimizing the impact of an infection is protecting not only themselves, but the many. It is ensuring that impact of an infection does not have a larger effect on our ability to defend ourselves.

You and I clearly feel differently about it, and that's all good, you do you. For me, you don't join the military with a set of caveats. You're there to serve. You, apparently, feel differently about it, and at the end of the day neither you nor I are making these decisions. But I repeat, if the only reason someone doesn't want to sign up to serve is a Covid vaccine, then I don't they're fit for the task. That's fine, they can do something else.
When a person joins the military, they do so to serve the country, not to follow drummed up rules to make the president popular. We allow millions to cross our borders unvetted, unvaccinated and un American, yet individuals must be vaccinated or will not be allowed to enter and those already in the military face the same rule.

This was also the case with our aviation groups. Now we are hearing about mechanical and pilot errors. Somebody needs to wake up.

When a person joins the military, they do so to serve the country, not to follow drummed up rules to make the president popular. We allow millions to cross our borders unvetted, unvaccinated and un American, yet individuals must be vaccinated or will not be allowed to enter and those already in the military face the same rule.

This was also the case with our aviation groups. Now we are hearing about mechanical and pilot errors. Somebody needs to wake up.

And there is no evidence whatsoever the order was given to "[drum] up rules to make the president popular" That's something you've picked up, and now repeated, from right-wing propaganda merchants. It was, at the time, the best advice given by the science - period. And yes, soldiers don't get to pick and choose which rules they follow based on their personal belief. What kind of army would they be if they did? Useless.

We need to bring back the draft. And it needs to appply to everyone. Not just working class kids.
It won't happen in the U.S. because of Vietnam. The draft just made young people protest for years while many left for a life in Canada. It didn't work in the U.S. The military is not a life for everybody. It shouldn't be anyway because we're all different with different gifts.

In the German armed forces (Bundeswehr) the Covid shot was mandatory from the beginning and still is. Some soldiers refused to get vaccinated and quit or got fines.

It won't happen in the U.S. because of Vietnam. The draft just made young people protest for years while many left for a life in Canada. It didn't work in the U.S. The military is not a life for everybody. It shouldn't be anyway because we're all different with different gifts.

I'm not pro the draft at all. But I do think there's an argument that a couple years in the military can be a good education. Kids go from High School to college (if that's their wish), and I don't think a two year period between the two would be such a bad thing.

Back