Unethical or Not? Discuss.

I built a really nice fence between my neighbor and I. The screws all face his side. Discuss.

You could have a problem with the fact that, depending on where you live, there might be rules enforced as to which side of the fence faces your neighbor. The vast majority of townships and boroughs require that the “nice” side of the fence should face your neighbor, and you could be legally forced to switch the fence. Uh oh... 😯

If the screws are on the neighbors side doesn't that mean the post and stringers are on your side?

Not an easy question to answer without seeing the fence and quality of build, show us a picture. I also think how the neighbor keep their property matters, if the neighbors yard is a dump they get the bad side.

I built a really nice fence between my neighbor and I. The screws all face his side. Discuss.
You personally built it or was this done by a contractor? Does where you live require a permit to add value to your property? Was a survey done to assure you didn't infringe on the neighbors property?

And as suggested pictures of both sides would be nice to see how the screws look.

Last edited:
Picket placement called a 'Good Neighbor Fence' here in Texas. Pickets facing the neighbor is 'good.' Pickets facing in toward your home 'not so good' a neighbor. Usually here in Texas privacy fences are a collaborative effort between neighbors. They decide which way the pickets will face and share the cost of the build.

Last fence we put up was more than happy to face the pickets toward my neighbor's house. Much to my companion Sharon's chagrin. That way the responsibility for replacing split and rotting pickets fell to him. Told him I was getting too old for fence maintenance anymore. We agreed. That and the exposed support rails on my side make for a good shelf and place to attach other wood fixtures.

So in answer to the question, in my humble opinion, unilateral decision on a fence build, maybe not so ethical. Collabrative effort between neighbors ethical way to arrive at a solution.

I have the pickets and screws facing toward my house.
Didn't want the post and stringers facing in, because I thought maybe my dog could jump onto the stringers and over the fence maybe.
Thing is though, without that unique consideration, I'd most definitely have the pickets and screws facing the neighbor.
Lot harder for the neighbor to climb over the fence that way, should they ever be so compelled.

Screws or nails, when we had our privacy fence installed, the neighbors had the side with the pickets. We never minded having the support rails on our side at all, easier to hop the fence in an emergency if needed and harder for others to climb over. The neighbors were usually happy about it.

In the Uk the unspoken law is that the person who builds the fence gets the Ugly side...the side with the pickets etc...everyone used to stick to that, just nice neighbour laws.... ...now no-one cares about anyone else.. and they build the nicer side facing into their own property , and the poor neighbour gets an ugly side whether they like it or not..

Where we live, we have about a foot beyond the fence that faces the neighbor's property, and it belongs to us. This works well for us if we need to work on the fence and step on the other side, so I see no issue with what you are writing about in my neck of the woods.

You could have a problem with the fact that, depending on where you live, there might be rules enforced as to which side of the fence faces your neighbor. The vast majority of townships and boroughs require that the “nice” side of the fence should face your neighbor, and you could be legally forced to switch the fence. Uh oh... 😯
That's the way it is here too. Neighbor gets the pretty side.

Cleveland, Ohio building code: Fences, in part:

358.06 General Regulations
The following regulations shall apply to fences in all zoning districts or as specified.

(a) Prohibited Materials. No fence shall be composed of scrap materials, tires, canvas, cardboard, asphalt-style shingles, or chicken wire. Furthermore, except in General Industry and Unrestricted Industry Districts, no fence shall be composed of corrugated metal or sheet metal.

(b) Appearance. All fences shall be uniform in material and color. In the case of a fence with a finished side and an unfinished side, the finished or more decorative side shall face outward toward the adjoining property or the street.

Years ago when we put up new pasture fence we kept it far enough off of the one property line so we could drive the truck past it. We are good friends with the present owner & wouldn't have a problem if we needed to go on her property, but you don't know what will happen in the future with another person.

Back