Ways to help painful knees at night

You have found a combination that works. I increasingly see this as being key. These regenerative conditions are not curable but we can do much to relieve the pain.

Honestly, my knees truly affect the quality of my life. I was walking the dog this morning, and I must have stepped incorrectly, because I jarred my left knee. It brought tears to my eyes and I had to stand still for a few minutes for it to subside. Otherwise I'm mostly okay, just these damn knees........ I feel your pain!

Honestly, my knees truly affect the quality of my life. I was walking the dog this morning, and I must have stepped incorrectly, because I jarred my left knee. It brought tears to my eyes and I had to stand still for a few minutes for it to subside. Otherwise I'm mostly okay, just these damn knees........ I feel your pain!
I understand. Mine are so painful right now. Why on earth do they hurt far more when I sit or lie down?

My husband used the Tens machine. I never got used to that, but he loved it. A friend recommended Voltaren cream which I like because a little goes a long way

View attachment 337251
I just ordered this and pray it helps. I am in pain constantly now and especially when I sit. I dread going to bed because I am in pain half the night. I can only sleep sitting up with a cushion under my knees, keeping them straight out.
The pain is like hot rods poking.

I have been reading how awful your knees have gotten. :( It is something that I can relate to. My pain is 24/7 also. I take Gabapentin for my kind of pain. It helps some, but not great. I don't know know much about knee problems ( yet ). I know they can get so bad that they have to replaced. I can't imagine that, but I do think some people on the forum have had knee replacement surgery. IDK the cost of this.

Cold ice packs help my pain. Exercise and moving around helps also. Finding ways to distract yourself from the pain, by getting interested in something to take your mind off the pain ( so much ). Getting involved in projects helps. But, it still a thing we have to learn to live with.

Medical Marijuana might help. It is legal in the UK with a license. You would need to go through the process of getting the license.

Just some ideas, because I know what it is like to battle constant pain...good luck in whatever you try. :)

I just ordered this and pray it helps. I am in pain constantly now and especially when I sit. I dread going to bed because I am in pain half the night. I can only sleep sitting up with a cushion under my knees, keeping them straight out.
The pain is like hot rods poking.
Remember to apply thin covering of it. Little goes far. Hope it helps. I know what you mean...Aches and pains at night. One other thing...I often woke up all achy. A friend came over and helped my turn my mattress so the side I sleep on is firmer now Worked wonders

I have been reading how awful your knees have gotten. :( It is something that I can relate to. My pain is 24/7 also. I take Gabapentin for my kind of pain. It helps some, but not great. I don't know know much about knee problems ( yet ). I know they can get so bad that they have to replaced. I can't imagine that, but I do think some people on the forum have had knee replacement surgery. IDK the cost of this.

Cold ice packs help my pain. Exercise and moving around helps also. Finding ways to distract yourself from the pain, by getting interested in something to take your mind off the pain ( so much ). Getting involved in projects helps. But, it still a thing we have to learn to live with.

Medical Marijuana might help. It is legal in the UK with a license. You would need to go through the process of getting the license.

Just some ideas, because I know what it is like to battle constant pain...good luck in whatever you try. :)
Thankyou so much, lots of reassuring advice there.

May I ask what position do you find is best for sleep and sitting for your knees? Do you find gabapentin really helps?

May I ask what position do you find is best for sleep and sitting for your knees? Do you find gabapentin really helps?
The pain is in my neck ( spine ), but there is some similarity. For sleep I need soft support so my head is straight and comfortable...no twisting. Slightly bent...not too straight, not too tucked. Also deep breaths blow it out, and relax. Relaxing is half the battle sometimes.

The gabapentin...with it pain level about 4, without it pain level about 5-6.

Good luck...feel free to ask away if you think of anything else.

I understand. Mine are so painful right now. Why on earth do they hurt far more when I sit or lie down?

Well, that's where I can be thankful. Sitting and laying down eases the pain for me.

When I saw the doctor and had X-rays, I was told it's mostly about the bits and pieces of bone that have worn away. swimming in my knees. This causes inflammation, and pain.

I hope your prognosis is better!

Well, that's where I can be thankful. Sitting and laying down eases the pain for me.

When I saw the doctor and had X-rays, I was told it's mostly about the bits and pieces of bone that have worn away. swimming in my knees. This causes inflammation, and pain.

I hope your prognosis is better!
That's painful. I don't know my situation yet, until I see a consultant. As I know is I am in pain.

Yes, lots of good info here....I have had some good results with ice packs on my shoulders, I ordered 2 of the flexible wrap around ones, also with Tylenol, the only pain med I can take, a friend told me about Aleve ointment that helped him, I'm going to try that, I looked it up and it is safe to use as an ointment..also I'm going to try to find the Thc and cbd ointment.
Thanks everyone for the input.

I have been using Voltarol ointment twice daily, I think it gives some relief. It is expensive but more importantly, I read that it raises risk of heart attacks by 40%!

I like the TENS machine better and I think it is safer.

My wife has painful joints for years and has tried many things that really don't help. My joints hurt, but is self inflicted from my hobbies. I bought a couple of earthing mats to slip under the sheets 2 weeks ago. My knees, ankles and shoulders don't hurt the very next day. My wife said that she has not had any joint pain for a week now. I got them from earthing.com.
Curious, if you noticed a difference. We both two, about six months ago. I see no difference, myself. But, others swear by them.

Curious, if you noticed a difference. We both two, about six months ago. I see no difference, myself. But, others swear by them.
Yes! I used to have to take a day off from the shop a couple of times a week. Now, I hurt by the end of the day, but pain free in the morning and ready to go again. My wife has stopped complaining about her joints and has been more active too.

I have been using Voltarol ointment twice daily, I think it gives some relief. It is expensive but more importantly, I read that it raises risk of heart attacks by 40%!
Well drat! 🥺 I had a patella fracture in January of '23 that was supposed to be healed in 9 or 10 months. Been more than a year now and no such luck and I suppose it will never fully heal. I was going to finally buy some Voltaren (same as Voltarol... called different names in different countries). Anyhow, this didn't sound right for a topical pain cream, but I just looked it up on Mayo Clinic's site and it's true.
Oh that stinks.

Last edited:
Hi Rose65 I also have trouble with osteoarthritis pain,I was given an injection for my bones which is meant to build bone,the injection is given twice a year,I have had one,and swear i will never have another injection as it has made things worse.The trouble is if you stop having them your more likely to have broken bones,but the side effects of the injections are horrendous.
I have my name on the waiting list at the hospital for knee and hip replacements.
My dear hubby bought me an Omron tens machine which has helped on occasions.
I was looking up for some natural remedy for my dog as she has joint pain as well, I noticed that Green lipped mussel from New Zealand is very good for pain for dogs, so I bought some human capsules from chemist warehouse ,and both my dog and I take 2 a day,they started working after 2 weeks,and now I dont take any other pain meds at all,my dog is happier as well best thing I have ever taken
I still use a pillow between my knees at night though as i find that more comfortable
DO NOT take green lipped mussel though if you are allergic to shell fish.
Love and hugs to all who are suffering this horrible pain

Yes! I used to have to take a day off from the shop a couple of times a week. Now, I hurt by the end of the day, but pain free in the morning and ready to go again. My wife has stopped complaining about her joints and has been more active too.
The earthing mat doesn’t work at all for me.

Back