What are you driving.....and do you like it?

Are you driving something different in retirement?
How good is it to you?
What will you buy next?

Current ride. I bought this going into retirement knowing I was going to run it into the ground before I get rid of it.
Love it, best all around vehicle I've owned. Has been very good to me.....Next? I would like a Lucid (but not sure I can afford it)
We will see when the time comes.
View attachment 300449
I am driving a 2016 Honda Acura, it is like a larger SUV. I love it!

Got my first motorcycle about a year and a half ago about 2 weeks before my 75th birthday. A 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650: Taught myself to ride. Put 5,541miles on it, then last May I traded up to a 2023 Triumph Bonneville T100. Got 2,180 miles on this one. I should have done this a long time ago. I was born to ride a motorcycle.

Attachments

• DSC_0355.JPG
    DSC_0355.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_5021.JPG
    DSC_5021.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 2
Got my first motorcycle about a year and a half ago about 2 weeks before my 75th birthday. A 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650: Taught myself to ride. Put 5,541miles on it, then last May I traded up to a 2023 Triumph Bonneville T100. Got 2,180 miles on this one. I should have done this a long time ago. I was born to ride a motorcycle.
Hi, Trade! Where've you been, man?

I'm driving a 2017 Audi A4. I leased it for 3 years in 2016, then bought it when the lease was up because the market value was higher than the residual on my lease.

When I was employed, I either worked from home or traveled so it sat at the airport. I drive a maximum of 10 miles a day now that I'm retired. It now has just under 32k miles in 7 years. I've considered other cars but I haven't found anything more perfect for my needs. It is fast, nimble, solid and has all the technology I need to use Apple CarPlay for music or navigation. I don't like it... I love it.

A4.jpg

We've got a 91' Renegade...you can't beat that straight 6, can't kill it with a hammer...lol.
Very true. I think the last straight 6 I had was in my 2000 BMW 330ci. It was a gem. I've also had V6s in various Japanese cars and they have been rock solid. I love my 4 cylinder turbo but even those are going the way of the dinosaur as electric cars replace them.

Which turns the topic to electric cars. There are some that I like, but why do they have to look spaceships with huge tablets inside? I have no interest in working through a huge touchscreen while I'm driving. And why does every electric car have to look more "space age" than their standard counterpart? I actually think Audi and Porsche have produced beautiful electric cars, but they are way more than I would consider spending.

Which turns the topic to electric cars. There are some that I like, but why do they have to look spaceships with huge tablets inside? I have no interest in working through a huge touchscreen while I'm driving. And why does every electric car have to look more "space age" than their standard counterpart? I actually think Audi and Porsche have produced beautiful electric cars, but they are way more than I would consider spending.
The touchscreens worry me even in non-EVs Leaning to reach, reading them through multifocal lenses, software update bloat slowing them in a few years, it all seems like a recipe for disaster. And that's before cameras start going out or getting permanently fogged as dust and moisture gets in. Many of these cars have crappy road visibility all around, making you dependent on cameras.

Some of us also have to deal with driving rains, not to mention snow and ice both on the ground and incoming.

The EV cars are still wildly non-standard too. I can't imagine driving anywhere near a car rental place. Mr. Magoo would be safer on the road.

Speaking of touchscreens... I was surprised to see how many buttons had creeped onto the steering wheel over time. It started with the horn of course, but along came cruise control and then linked-phone controls, and more and more.

But now things have moved to touchscreens and even buried in touchscreen menus. The Tesla above in the video seems to have two buttons I can't make out that might be, hmm, the horn?

What freaks me out is how the car/truck almost drives itself.
One feature keeps me between the lines. If I start to go over without a turn signal, it nudges the car back into the lane.
And, if I get too close to cars in front of me, the brakes go on automatically.
Too much. I want to shut them off but if I do and get in an accident and the insurance finds out I shut off 'avoidance systems' I may not be covered....sometimes technology is too much!

Speaking of touchscreens... I was surprised to see how many buttons had creeped onto the steering wheel over time. It started with the horn of course, but along came cruise control and then linked-phone controls, and more and more.

But now things have moved to touchscreens and even buried in touchscreen menus. The Tesla above in the video seems to have two buttons I can't make out that might be, hmm, the horn?
My Audi has a "wheel control" on the console that controls the screen. I love it. I don't have to take my eyes off the road for an extended period of time if I want to change anything in the screen. It also has actual HVAC controls and if I want to shift into Sport I just pull the shifter back, not go into a menu or push a button.

I would have considered replacing it with a newer model but Audi has now have done away with the wheel control altogether and have added a large touchscreen. New cars are becoming much too complicated just for the sake of it.

MMI Control.jpeg

2018 gas engine Hyundai Kona. The model with electronic safety devices — automatic breaking, lane change warning, lane keep assist, lane departure warning, and backup warning. Good acceleration, very maneuverable, and 25+ mpg. Probably my favorite car.

We've got a 91' Renegade...you can't beat that straight 6, can't kill it with a hammer...lol.
Ya, I started this thread with my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL. Yes, the motor was great (78,000 when I got rid of it).
The problem with the 'first year' cars is there are other things that creep in.
The infotainment system was flukey flashing as well as the electronic dash, different settings would show up whenever it felt like it. The dealer said they couldn't fix it. Ya, crappy dealer.
Plus, it was coming up on my 5 year turnaround time. I usually trade them in around 5 years so I don't have to deal with mechanics.

Prius 2, 2009. It gets us from Pt A to Pt B and with carrying capacity. It's inexpensive to operate. Rather have a newer car but a new car would be hard to justify...Uber-Lyft would be cheaper.
First as a commuter 60mi RT for 2 years, then retirement country mode. Now living in urban center and driving about +/-100m/mo. Total 101K miles.

Yes, we "like" the 2009 Prius 2.
Easy to maintain. We added a catalytic converter shield this summer and and did an annual oil change. At our age, 73/76, we have other plans than purchasing a new vehicle that would only be driven 1500miles/yr max.

At the moment, I have 2 eBikes for sale. Both low miles and trouble free. I want a newer model that better fits my life style and physical needs. :)

Not a laughing matter:

I guess we need to be sure we keep a window breaker in the car within reach.

Even with a phone, will somebody with a spare key to your car be nearby and answer the phone right away?

I know a lot of people have adapted to SUVs and pickup trucks. But there are still people who prefer a compact car and they tend to be a lot more affordable.

It is funny. With the "green" push around the world you'd think more people would move to smaller cars, at least in the North American market. The carbon emissions savings can be substantial.

Though dealers cannot keep them in stock, proving a demand, options seem to be narrowing quickly.

The only Japanese car I ever owned, a Nissan Xterra was made in Tennessee. It was a good car, they discontinued them.

Back