What's your risk of cancer ?

I didn't know that.
My insurance is Aetna, they do it and I believe it is now common for most insurance. I go on Medicare next month but I still have Aetna through the federal retiree plans. My husband worked for the USPS.

I honestly don't think staying skinny is the answer to preventing cancer. My one sister, who has been skinny all her life has had stage 4 breast and stage 4 kidney cancers and is still alive, battling liver and lung metastasis.
It helps not to be overweight if you get cancer and to avoid sugar. A good friend of mine had ovarian cancer and this is what her doctor recommended.

Everyone on my mom’s side of the family died from cancer despite having very healthy diets, exercising, etc. So far none of us in the next generation have gotten it so maybe we are all taking after our dads.

I think just living to old age raises your risk of Cancer significantly
I think you are quite right on this. Not only cancer, but other diseases such as arthritis etc.
I also wonder if the figures used to calculate mortality risk is historical. Someone may die of cancer 10 years after diagnosis, but in those 10 years, treatments and surgical techniques have advanced, so the prognosis for someone being diagnosed today may be much better than the figures suggest.

I think you are quite right on this. Not only cancer, but other diseases such as arthritis etc.
I also wonder if the figures used to calculate mortality risk is historical. Someone may die of cancer 10 years after diagnosis, but in those 10 years, treatments and surgical techniques have advanced, so the prognosis for someone being diagnosed today may be much better than the figures suggest.
Very good point

I honestly don't think staying skinny is the answer to preventing cancer. My one sister, who has been skinny all her life has had stage 4 breast and stage 4 kidney cancers and is still alive, battling liver and lung metastasis.
You're right - there's no lock-solid way to avoid cancer. I'm sorry for your sister's terrible illness.

Nevertheless, this came from a surgeon with loads of anecdotal information via patients with cancer diagnoses, and is likely is well acquainted with current research. His advice is worthy of heeding. Indeed, it was ringing in my ears after I put on a handful of pounds over the holidays, and have since shed them.

Just found this from the American Cancer Society:
Body Weight and Cancer Risk | Obesity Effect on Cancer Risk

Cancer is one thing strangely that I don't worry about, considering I am so anxious about so many other things. It's so random, so much a matter of bad luck, a real lottery, that it's pointless to conjecture. We all must die of something, so if I get it, I get it. I do what I can to stay healthy, don't smoke, hardly drink, eat well. I could still get it.
The comfort is that modern medicine has a lot to offer, especially pain relief. I can't imagine in time past the terrible deaths from cancer. Now so much is curable.
Other than that what can be said? I know people who smoke, have recovered from cancer and still smoke! I know others who were fitness fanatics and still died of it.

You're right - there's no lock-solid way to avoid cancer. .............
Animal product consumption is a risk factor for cancer. And while this particular link pertains to colon cancer, there are others that reference other types of cancer, including breast cancer and prostate cancer. So cutting your meat consumption cuts your risk.....
Red meat and bowel cancer risk

Personally, I'm not very concerned at all about cancer because I haven't eaten meat for about 25 years and I make a point of having turmeric/pepper and ginger drink every day and both those have numerous studies that point to their effectiveness in killing cancer stem cells.

From the link: .......Ginger derivatives possess high potential chemopreventive properties such as cell cycle arrest, increased cellular death (apoptosis, autophagy and autosis), as well as redox homeostasis unbalance. Furthermore, they inhibit angiogenesis, CSCs formation, and the EMT process. Therefore, this natural compound directly and indirectly influences tumor cell survival and inhibits invasion and metastasis processes, without significant toxic effects on normal cells [18,26]..........
Mechanisms of Chemopreventive and Therapeutic Proprieties of Ginger Extracts in Cancer.

Because I'm not about to give you 'medical' advice Lynne, talk to your doctor about including this to your diet on a regular basis and maybe it will be supportive of your other treatments. I think if you look at the ginger link, it goes on to talk about it's value as a supportive treatment to chemo.

Last edited:
Animal product consumption is a risk factor for cancer. And while this particular link pertains to colon cancer, there are others that reference other types of cancer, including breast cancer and prostate cancer. So cutting your meat consumption cuts your risk.....
Red meat and bowel cancer risk

Personally, I'm not very concerned at all about cancer because I haven't eaten meat for about 25 years and I make a point of having turmeric/pepper and ginger drink every day and both those have numerous studies that point to their effectiveness in killing cancer stem cells.

From the link: .......Ginger derivatives possess high potential chemopreventive properties such as cell cycle arrest, increased cellular death (apoptosis, autophagy and autosis), as well as redox homeostasis unbalance. Furthermore, they inhibit angiogenesis, CSCs formation, and the EMT process. Therefore, this natural compound directly and indirectly influences tumor cell survival and inhibits invasion and metastasis processes, without significant toxic effects on normal cells [18,26]..........
Mechanisms of Chemopreventive and Therapeutic Proprieties of Ginger Extracts in Cancer.

Because I'm not about to give you 'medical' advice Lynne, talk to your doctor about including this to your diet on a regular basis and maybe it will be supportive of your other treatments. I think if you look at the ginger link, it goes on to talk about it's value as a supportive treatment to chemo.
I will second that!! My husband included juicing to his diet. There were many fruits and vegetables that made sure he got daily needs met. He seemed to have more energy!!

@Debrah N., fully agree with your post above. DH & I walked away from meat ten years ago based on an overwhelming amount of information on animal cruelty, livestock conditions and human health. I eat a whole food plant based diet (WFPB) with no meat, maybe a bit of fish once a month, and very little dairy. I love pickled ginger and find a way to eat some most days.

I don't love how turmeric overwhelms the flavor of whatever else I'm cooking, and I don't much care for it on it's own, so I take and pepper using Blate Papes Gel Pouches.

@Debrah N., fully agree with your post above. DH & I walked away from meat ten years ago based on an overwhelming amount of information on animal cruelty, livestock conditions and human health. I eat a whole food plant based diet (WFPB) with no meat, maybe a bit of fish once a month, and very little dairy. I love pickled ginger and find a way to eat some most days.

I don't love how turmeric overwhelms the flavor of whatever else I'm cooking, and I don't much care for it on it's own, so I take and pepper using Blate Papes Gel Pouches.
I just looked up those Blate things and I'm guessing they're little edible pouches you put the herbs or whatever in so that you don't have to taste them? Because you're right, turmeric is kind of unpleasant. Always makes me think of wet wood for some reason. But I just put turmeric and pepper into a glass of water and chug it, then drink some more water to rinse it down better. Lately I've been mixing it into my coconut kefir with the ginger and it's not a bad mix. The thickness of the kefir seems to make most of the tastes hard to notice at all.

I will second that!! My husband included juicing to his diet. There were many fruits and vegetables that made sure he got daily needs met. He seemed to have more energy!!
Juicing is great for getting that extra nutrient burst. I used to have a green smoothie every morning for years and when I got my blood tests done a couple times, everything was up to standard. But then we moved to Calgary, winters are freezing cold and the last thing I wanted was a cold smoothie in the morning. So I quit doing that and the first blood test I had done, showed me low on iron! Even though I eat brocolli almost every day for dinner, it wasn't supplying enough. So juicing is good, so are green smoothies.

He loved it. I would juice every day, enough for him to have a big glass in the morning and have a second glass before bed. He used to joke, this so good, imagine what it would be if I added some vodka!!

I just looked up those Blate things and I'm guessing they're little edible pouches you put the herbs or whatever in so that you don't have to taste them? Because you're right, turmeric is kind of unpleasant. Always makes me think of wet wood for some reason. But I just put turmeric and pepper into a glass of water and chug it, then drink some more water to rinse it down better. Lately I've been mixing it into my coconut kefir with the ginger and it's not a bad mix. The thickness of the kefir seems to make most of the tastes hard to notice at all.
That's exactly what they are. Little edible pouches. I put in 1/2 tsp of ground black cumin seed and 1/2 tsp of my turmeric/black pepper mix into a pouch each morning. Dip quickly into a cup of water, then swallow the pouch and the water. I get the benefit of these healthful spices at much lower prices than pills, and don't have to taste something I don't like.

He loved it. I would juice every day, enough for him to have a big glass in the morning and have a second glass before bed. He used to joke, this so good, imagine what it would be if I added some vodka!!
I've done that with smoothies mid-afternoon for DH & me, but not in a very long time. I stopped making smoothies because eating my calories is more filling and enjoyable - I quite like fruits, berries, veggies and leafy greens.

Back