When you hear something fall in the middle of the night, do you check?

I always check a noise-and it is usually something that fell on the floor, slipping off a stack of slippery store catalogs or penny savers.

We have to separate our recycles here for my rural garbage man- the pennysavers and newspapers must be separated from anything with slippery shiny pages, like those catalogs we get from online stores we deal with.

It rained yesterday, my recycle day, so I could not put my paper recyclables out.

I eliminated my mouse problem many years ago so that is never the noise culprit.

When you hear something fall in the middle of the night, do you check?

Happened last night. Something fell on the floor while I was in bed watching Coming home in the Dark. Got up to check and could find nothing.
Yes, I check. The last “something” I heard fall in the middle of the night was a huge oak tree hitting my house. Yeah, that'll wake you up.😲

I have one cat, and sometimes he knocks somthing off the kitchen table to play with, like a pen or something else small. He also jumps off the kitchen counter, so it sounds like a thump, like something fell that was soft and fluffy. :)
You sound like you are describing our cat. She’d often sleep during the day and play during the night. She’d also jump down off high places and land with a big thud. She was 7 pounds most of her life but then went down to 4. At times it was annoying but I’d give anything to hear her again.

Only occaisionaly I will get up and check...this old house also
has its creaks andd groans...and the furnace is located on this
floor also so it makes some strange noises..,.also there was the
time raccoons were trying to break in at the furnace room!!!

Yep, always check if it's a loud noise.

The other night I was watching TV downstairs, and I heard an Almighty bang, so loud it sounded like a piece of furniture had fallen over.. shook the walls almost..so I got up and went upstairs, looked in every room.. nothing was out of place. I thought that can't be, the noise was room shaking... so I looked again and again in every room up and downstairs.. nothing !!

It wasn't until the next day that my neighbour told me there's a group of young youths who are going around, the latest craze apparently is kicking people's front doors as hard as they can in the hope the door will burst open.. so that was clearly what had happened..

I was very angry I have to tell you because we don't live in a bad area or an area where there are youths hanging around... so this was very annoying, and something to be particualrly aware of, if I wasn't home in case the door does or did get burst open..

You sound like you are describing our cat. She’d often sleep during the day and play during the night. She’d also jump down off high places and land with a big thud. She was 7 pounds most of her life but then went down to 4. At times it was annoying but I’d give anything to hear her again.
I'm sorry she's gone, I know it's still very fresh and heartbreaking for you. May she rest peacefully. Hugs. 💚

No. This is an old house and occasionally a small piece of plaster will fall, or a loose slate will rattle in the wind. There is also the wonderfully named 'exploding brain syndrome' - usually just as you wake and you think you heard a noise, voice, phone etc.., but it's only a trick of the min
There is also the wonderfully named 'exploding brain syndrome' - usually just as you wake and you think you heard a noise, voice, phone etc.., but it's only a trick of the mind.
Thanks. I wake up and sometimes I think I hear two mouse traps snap. I do gat mice at times, so I keep traps under the kitchen sink. And, nope, they haven't been sprung. I was about to try google something about it, But I couldn't figure out how to ask.
Exploding brain syndrome??? My brain may not be working well, but at least it's still working.

Back