Where's a disabled guy supposed to get friends?

You can make friends right here with us.
Our older neighbours joined the Lions club. It’s a good idea.

Also, libraries...have events...
Ours... has/had a Book clubs..for Guys…
Most of the guys around here wouldn't be caught dead reading. And the few that do like to read are retired professors and other professionals who'd never willingly mingle with the "uneducated." Now I'm not being sexist: the female professionals around here are the same way. Talk about the "Town vs. Gown" divide: this place really has it.

I hear ya. I'm a single female who does happen to like Bingo but they don't have Bingo around here much anymore. And even when they did have Bingo (around here anyway) it was supposed to be conducted with very little talking except for the caller; a friend went with other friends to Bingo once and got scolded for talking too much. ("Shhhh! We're trying to concentrate on the game!" they told her.)

But like you, I'm not religious. I've been told (by a psychiatrist!) to go to church anyway if I wanted socialization, sigh. But being an atheist, I don't believe in the supernatural at all, so talk like that bores me to tears. So I should go be around people once a week who I know for a fact are going to bore me? Why should I put myself through that?

And I'm not completely disabled but I no longer drive and there's no where around here to walk to. And like I told that psychiatrist, even if you do drive or can take an Uber, there are no gathering places in this whole area other than churches or bars so really limited chances to socialize at all let alone make friends. She looked startled when I told her that and said, "Huh! You know, I hadn't thought about that! You're right: if there are really no people around to socialize with, it is really hard to socialize, isn't it?" (Duh, lady.)

You know, I'm on a few sites that have some young people on them, and whenever I get a chance, I've told these young people to, if possible, not strand themselves in a rural area. They might like it while they're still working, but once they become retired and elderly, it'll be lonely and inconvenient. Unless they come from one of those rapidly-disappearing, old-fashioned, big happy all-stay-in-the-same-town-forever, families, but let's face it: there are fewer and fewer families like that.

Is a move out of the question?

I hope you find some real in person friendships. We really have a very good Seniors Centre here where we live, art groups, card groups, darts, pool, evening events, etc. We've gone a couple of times, just found that they were a lot older than me, more like closer to 80. I'm 68. And there are classes that I could take at The College for the Retired (seniors teach the courses voluntarily) and not very expensive. Just don't feel like doing it. I also signed up to volunteer, went through interviews, had my references, criminal record check, etc. And then I just thought I didn't want to be tied into anything, schedule wise.

I could go to church, I believe in God but don't feel like doing that either. I have only one friend, lives too far away to get together. I think because I have a husband, that is why I don't bother as he is my company while I happily do my hobbies at home. If hubby was not around, I know, of course, I would be at the Seniors Centre, and taking classes and volunteering for sure, going to church, etc.

There are classes that I could take at The College for the Retired (seniors teach the courses voluntarily) and not very expensive.
They do have some classes here like that but they are expensive. Also they're mostly held in downtown areas where the parking is terrible (near the university too so you're fighting for parking with students).

Yes...a seniors community center in your area would be a good choice. They offer lunches, and other groups. A few friends here also go to lunches and activities sponsored by Salvation Army

Back