Why is 4/20 celebrated? It's tomorrow.

RadishRose

SF VIP

Origin story behind popular weed holiday may surprise you.

Popular lore ties the birth of "4/20" to a group of high schoolers attending Northern California's San Rafael High School in the early 1970s. The five teens – Steve Capper, Dave Reddix, Jeffrey Noel, Larry Schwartz and Mark Gravich – became known as the “Waldos” because they met by a wall.

The students met at 4:20 p.m. by the statue of chemist Louis Pasteur to smoke weed, presumably because most extracurricular activities had ended by that time.

“We weren’t stupid stoners,” Capper, 68, an original Waldo said, pointing to a certificate for exceptional achievement and citizenship he received in school. The Waldos engaged in after-school activities like sports and studying, so 4:20 was chosen as the time the group could all meet up. The rest is history.

The Waldos are a group of guys who claim to have invented the term 420 — code for marijuana — in 1971. Dave Reddix, Steve Capper, Mark Gravitch, Jeff Noel and Larry Schwartz are the Waldos.

Weed was not a thing in the 50s. At least not where I lived. So I have no experience. However I am curious about Delta 8 gummies for pain and anxiety. It is legal in Georgia. Any advice?
If it's legal @Alizerine there, give it a try. You might need an Rx. I have no personal experience with "medical marijuana" myself, but have heard several others say it helped their pain.

I don't even smoke it anymore. Now, I just get too hungry, then fall asleep. :D

Hey, you guys were the "Beat Generation", Beatnicks, they smoked pot.
Hey, you guys were the "Beat Generation", Beatnicks, they smoked pot.
You are right. We did hang out in the Village some weekends and loved poetry readings and jazz and visited the bars and book stores and galleries. My friends mother had an apartment there and she worked nights. Fun times.

Weed was not a thing in the 50s. At least not where I lived. So I have no experience. However I am curious about Delta 8 gummies for pain and anxiety. It is legal in Georgia. Any advice?
According to this medical has been available for a year now. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation...to-allow-pharmacies-to-sell-medical-marijuana An Indica gummie allows me to fall into a deep pain-free sleep. Most people find edibles take time to work, not me I need to be in bed within fifteen minutes of ingesting.

Hah!

I just got suspended from my mental health forum for 2 days for posting Flameout (above) talking about weed! It was a joke that I think went over the Moderator's head.

Thanks, Patty. I corrected the title.
I'm glad that when you corrected it, RR,
that you changed to "It's tomorrow"

Instead of having changed the Date in the thread title. ;)(y)

It would have made my guess at Earth Day, seem even more ridiculous than it did. (if you'd said, it's the 19th.....)
☺️:giggle:😁😄😂

Thing is, back in the 70s they weren't smoking genetically altered weed. It didn't mess with their brains like it does today.

I have 2 nephews, one born in the late-80s, the other in the mid-90s, who smoke daily. They are not doing well in life.
While strains have improved through cross breeding the biggest jump in potency was the switch from smoking the leaves to the flower buds grown in the absence of male plants where the active ingredients (THC) concentrate aka sinsemilla. Or at least that's what I've heard.

What-is-sinsemilla-1024x683.webp

KOROVA_OR_FLOWER_WE_OG_JACK_HERER_MACRO_1080.png

Last edited:
While strains have improved through cross breeding the biggest jump in potency was the switch from smoking the leaves to the flower buds grown in the absence of male plants where the active ingredients (THC) concentrate aka sinsemilla. Or at least that's what I've heard.

Buds have always been an option. I remember buds from a plant native to Thailand called Thai Sticks....extremely popular but, like all buds, a lot more expensive than regular weed.

Last edited:

The pictures bring back memories of checking out HIgh Times magazines back in the late 70's.

The reason I just got banned from my mental health forum for 2 days was for "Promoting the use of drugs!"

AHhahaHAHA!!

I even called this character 'Flameout!'...You can't make this up, folks!...

flameout.jpg

A ‘Magic Mushrooms Church’ Is Providing More 4/20 Porta-Potties and Crowd Control Than the City Is

The cancellation of Hippie Hill’s official 4/20 [2024] celebration seems unlikely to keep thousands of pot-smoking revelers out of Golden Gate Park, and so a psilocybin-themed church is stepping up to provide porta-potties, a medical tent, and water bottles.

When the news broke last month that the official and sanctioned 4/20 Hippie Hill event was canceled for 2024, and would be replaced with some highly counterintuitive kickball and volleyball tournament, many of us figured that throngs of mairjuana smokers would simply show up and mob Hippie Hill anyway. After all, 4/20 falls on a Saturday this year. And you can’t really play kickball or volleyball on a hill, so won’t the hill still be available anyway?

A follow-up report from SFGate noted that the city would still provide some services despite the event being canceled: an on-site ambulance, some police staffing, 11 porta-potties, and three wash stations. That sounded woefully inadequate to the Haight-Ashbury Merchants Association, whose board member (and Mendel’s owner) Naomi Silverman told SFGate, “As merchants, we are prepared for the neighborhood to be overrun.”

So because of that, the merchants association and a “magic mushrooms” church called Church of Ambrosia have teamed up to massively bolster services at Hippie Hill on Saturday, according to NBC Bay Area. The Church of Ambrosia says they’ll be providing more than 30 porta-potties, a medical tent with four medics, a station providing free water bottles, plus Narcan and free opioid testing strips.

“This is like a pilgrimage to Mecca,” the Church of Ambrosia’s Pastor Dave Hodges said in a press release. “We see this as a religious event. Anybody who is going out to Hippie Hill on 420 to smoke a joint, they’re doing that religiously, whether or not they realize it.”...

Back