Wyoming/ driving to and through the state

lynx78

Anyone vacation to or thru Wyoming in the summer? Driving there and other than Yellowstone, what are some other must see places

The Wind River Canyon Scenic Byway was impressive.....at least to me, the passenger.

The Spousal Equivalent, who was pulling a big fifth wheel trailer behind us in high winds, wasn't enjoying the scenery.

I'd be going, "Ooh, ooh, look at THAT!!!" and he'd be snarling at me between clenched teeth, "ARE YOU GOING TO STEER WHILE I'M LOOKING???"

Anyway, *I* enjoyed it!

I liked the hot springs at Thermopolis, too.

I guess doing Buffalo Burgers (they are so much better) than McDonalds, in Downtown Casper and then driving up the Mountain to the high ground are musts if you love the West Dri ness. The Crick West of town with the rocks mound is a must also during the daytime. Didn't
go to the Tetons but they are beautiful. A lot of Wyoming is very slow but the Wildlife off in the distance are amazing views. The Pronghorns
are the darndest loaners just standing off out there maybe a 1/2 mile away. Wonder what they are thinking?

Last edited:
I lived in Wyoming for 18 yrs. Lots of beautiful landscapes and interesting towns, some that celebrate their frontier roots.

Vedauwoo Recreation Area between Cheyenne and Laramie off Hwy I-80 has hiking trails, rock climbing ops and campgrounds.

Laramie, home of UW (founded in 1886) has beautiful campus, including parklike central area with old growth pines that was where both students and professors let their horses graze while they were in class. It was getting too big a town by time i retired so we moved. But some of the buildings in oldest section of town by Railroad Tracks are interesting, including the Buckhorn bar founded in 1900 which when we lived there had very eclectic clientele: University students and Profs, Bikers, Blue collar workers, War Vets.

The Snowy Range Mountains west of Laramie are beautiful year round and the town of Centennial is on the road up to them. On the far side of them was a small town, Saratoga, that has public Hot Springs. Don't know how much the small towns have changed in the 12 yrs since we left the state. But the 9 months we lived in Saratoga winter '94-95, Moose sometimes wandered thru town as well as Deer.

Last edited:
Watch out for Indians.

Thought you were going to St. Augustine or is this a second vacation?
LOL...after second thoughts, didn't want to venture to another hot place like here in Texas...head somewhere north and not quite so oppressive heat.....plus the west is more appealing to myself and my wife. Just trying to find somewhere different and worth seeing.

I worked in the Big Horn Mountains and Cloud Peak Wilderness there one season in 2011. All great. And to the east of there is Devil's Tower.

The Wind River Canyon Scenic Byway was impressive.....at least to me, the passenger.

The Spousal Equivalent, who was pulling a big fifth wheel trailer behind us in high winds, wasn't enjoying the scenery.

I'd be going, "Ooh, ooh, look at THAT!!!" and he'd be snarling at me between clenched teeth, "ARE YOU GOING TO STEER WHILE I'M LOOKING???"

Anyway, *I* enjoyed it!

I liked the hot springs at Thermopolis, too.
My DIL who was from Denver, CO. Insisted she could feel the increase in wind speed when they crossed the border into Wyoming.

Here's a better idea than driving to WY from TX. Fly to Boise, rent a car, and drive around ID w the route varying by the time you've allotted. You'll have a wider variety of pleasing scenery, cooler temps, and way fewer boring hours looking at dry, high plains w a few antelope. Tell me how many days you want to spend on the tour and I'll help you plan the route.

When I was in the Air Force, we flew to Cheyenne to enjoy Frontier Days. What a great time we had. That city was truly a fun and wide open city.
We went to Cheyenne twice and really enjoyed it both times. We stayed at the RV park at the Terry Bison Ranch. You can take a trolley ride out into the buffalo herds or enjoy the animals in their little zoo.

If you're into trains, you might enjoy a visit to the Union Pacific "Big Boy" they have on display. It's the largest steam engine ever built.

Sister & BIL lived & owned a salvage yard 10 miles east of Rock Springs, He belonged & thrived. Built a lookout tower at his yard for trespassers & squatters. There was the law & there was his law. I visited once, that was enough.

I drove through Wyoming. I met a few cowboys and saw some really nice huge Elk while driving along.
I've lived a lot of places, attended 13 schools in my first 12 years of education. Mom said we lived in Rock Springs Wyoming once but I was too small to remember it. We moved once from Texas to western Kansas. I asked our new neighbor if they had Junes in Kansas? He asked women or bugs? I responded no months. At age four I was afraid we had moved so far that I wouldn't have my birthday on June 14th.

I enjoyed my time in Wyoming. I rented a horse and went riding for 3 or so hours. It was nice to breath clean air and my horse was a good listener. He gave me some good advice.

Flying to Singapore next week for 2 weeks to meet with some friends I met when I worked for a living.

Back