18 Months to Retirement and Beyond

Just came off a weekend of work and it really wasn't bad (the phone didn't ring during the nights, always a bonus!) but I came home, crawled into bed and slept for like 5 hours.

Added to this I took a fall this weekend (no injury except scraped knee and bruised pride) and it brought home to me that I *really* need to get into some kind of core-strengthening routine. I mean, I've tripped over things before but always been able to catch myself. Maybe it was partly b/c I had a backpack on, but once I pitched forward, I couldn't stop myself.

On a happier note, getting ready to travel to Seattle WA to visit friends in about 10 days and looking forward to it =D

getting ready to travel to Seattle WA to visit friends
Good for you, I just passed through the Seattle airport on my way home from Alaska, I like Seattle.

Have you been before? What do you plan to do there?

The first, and best, Ethiopian restaurant I ever ate at was in Seattle. Its been a few years, but they may still be there.

Have fun!

Good for you, I just passed through the Seattle airport on my way home from Alaska, I like Seattle.

Have you been before? What do you plan to do there?

The first, and best, Ethiopian restaurant I ever ate at was in Seattle. Its been a few years, but they may still be there.

Have fun!
Thanks, @Alligatorob I worked in Seattle for six months 5 years ago. I’m going to visit friends, go back to some places I loved and check out new places I missed the first time I was there.

These next few entries will be on the musing side... not really sure

One of my goals for retirement was travel. Well, home from a week in Seattle and now (recovering from bronchitis), I'm in a pensive, analyzing mode. The first 2/3rds of the trip was great, then I started to feel punk and it was with gritted teeth I made the trip home (airports, 2 planes, etc). I felt so bad for the guy sitting next to me on that 4.5 h flight home... I wore a mask, took meds before getting on the plane and coughed as circumspectly as I could but I know I was a walking germ factory. Added to that, now home/on anti-biotics and *still* napping daily and worn out with minimal exertion. (Yes, if it persists I will see the MD again, I promise)

Anyway, being the analytical person I am (some say *over* analytical), I'm stepping back to evaluate....

1) Did I pick up this bug in the airport/plane on the way out there? I don't remember anyone overtly coughing/sneezing. Is the convenience of getting to my destination in less than 24 hrs (vs. several days by car) worth it if I come down sick? Will a mask protect me on subsequent trips? Or better to just avoid the whole crowd thing and take the car next time?

2) Perhaps trips closer to home are in order for a while to get the lay of the land. Day/long weekend jaunts or at least the eastern 1/2 of the country. I wonder if changing climate so drastically and the time change had anything to do with my slow recovery? I mean, my friend assured me it was spring temps in Seattle but "spring" in Seattle is different than "spring" in GA (by like 30 degrees some days).

3) Also in the 'con' column for long trips + coming home sick... appointments have to be rescheduled, housework (especially for me--dusting) piles up, and I just generally feel like most of June is in apple-cart-turnover mode. Blah.

So that's my sunshiny thoughts for now, lol. I would appreciate your thoughts on plane travel, staying well and long trips

Good for you and your trip, sorry it ended with a bug.
I felt so bad for the guy sitting next to me on that 4.5 h flight home... I wore a mask, took meds before getting on the plane and coughed as circumspectly as I could
Don't be, you were more considerate than most. He probably appreciated that. Now shake that disease thing girl!

My 2 cents worth ...

I'm betting you did nothing wrong nor did you take any foolish chances not only while travelling on the plane going there but also at any of the airports. In fact, I don't think you picked anything up while travelling, based on the timing of when you started to feel poorly.

You visited numerous places around Seattle and a number of eateries if I recall correctly. I'm guessing you picked up something while being active in Seattle. Same thing could happen two or three States away from your home if you drove there and did a lot of nosing around & eating out. Simple fact is where ever you travel by any mode of transportation you are more active in a greater number of public places and therefore have a higher risk factor for coming into contact with a virus.

In terms of air travel, I have heard numerous times (from people in the know) that the absolute most germ infested places in any airport are in the security areas that everyone has to pass through and if applicable, the customs/immigration halls. Carry, and use liberally a small squeeze tube of hand sanitizer (make sure it's under the volume allowed through security so they don't confiscate it from you). I would also recommend wearing a proper mask through your airport time (N-95 mask). Once on the plane, I don't bother with the mask. The air filters and air circulation equipment is excellent at providing clean air but continue to use the hand sanitizer. Take some sanitized wipes as well to wipe down your arm rests and any other area you may be touching from time to time and for sure in the washroom if you use it. If you follow these tips you will be as protected as you can possibly be.

Most of all, don't let the fear of getting ill rob you of the adventures YOU deserve to enjoy now that you have the time for them ;) Take control and shift the odds in your favor then ... go after your dreams!

Too many people miss out by worrying & procrastinating then wake up one day to find they can no longer physically do it. In my opinion that's just sad ☹️

that the absolute most germ infested places in any airport are in the security areas that everyone has to pass through and if applicable, the customs/immigration halls. Carry, and use liberally a small squeeze tube of hand sanitizer (make sure it's under the volume allowed through security so they don't confiscate it from you). I would also recommend wearing a proper mask through your airport time (N-95 mask). Once on the plane,
That makes sense. We haven’t travelled much since the end of 2019. I’d only thought about masks on the plane.

Just came off a weekend of work and it really wasn't bad (the phone didn't ring during the nights, always a bonus!) but I came home, crawled into bed and slept for like 5 hours.

Added to this I took a fall this weekend (no injury except scraped knee and bruised pride) and it brought home to me that I *really* need to get into some kind of core-strengthening routine. I mean, I've tripped over things before but always been able to catch myself. Maybe it was partly b/c I had a backpack on, but once I pitched forward, I couldn't stop myself.

On a happier note, getting ready to travel to Seattle WA to visit friends in about 10 days and looking forward to it =D
I'm so sorry...just seeing this! Is you knee better now? I thought you had retired already or do you mean another kind of work?

"Autumn" get-away plans in the works... Want to find some pretty fall colors/vistas. Ozarks seemed the best option.

Finally buckled down and reserved a hotel in Hot Springs, AR in late October (this is south of little Rock, on the Southern end of the Ozarks). It will take me (best estimate) three days of driving to get there. I can't drive for 8-10 hrs a day, nor do I want to rush it. I will travel north through Birmingham, AL; then to Oxford MS (or slightly beyond) and the third day arrive in Hot Springs.

There are parks with gentle hikes and water falls/ autumn vistas, shops, museums, and historical sites to see.

Then I will come back by a more Southern route (to be determined)

I've been retired a year...

Some things have gone as planned/ hoped for... replaced appliances that needed it, yard looks good, I made two planned trips and have another in the works in a couple weeks. Idk about next year, may just be two main trips vs. three. Volunteering at library as planned and found a knitting group (bonus), active with church as schedule allows. Working part time so I don't drain retirement fund too fast

Some things went pear-shaped... Struggles of grown children and the emotional burden that goes along with that... Ups and downs with grandgirls.... Ed's health...

Mixed bag--my own health While overall it is good, I have struggled with new-onset curvatures to my back in three places (most of my female relatives had scoliosis bad from young adulthood, so really I've dodged a bunch of bullets) the gradual therapy to correct that as much as possible and the resulting inability to walk any distance over 1/4 mile or dance anymore =( I'm trying to get back to walking but I don't know if the dancing will ever be a possibility.

Overall I've enjoyed my first year of retirement. Hopefully things will only improve =)

Back