27 Things '60s Kids Did That Would Horrify Us Now....

Hitchhiking is one thing I never did, not ever, not even once.

Have never picked up a hitchhiker either and never will.

I never hitchhiked or picked up a hiker, but my mother often picked them up - and did so for years and years. Including in Los Angeles. We kids would beg her not to, but she persisted until she was about 70 (so into the 1990s). :eek:

Nothing bad ever happened to her at the hands of a hitchhiker. She may have had a guardian angel.

My mother was a kind woman who always had a lot of compassion for young people.

Last edited:
I never hitchhiked or picked up a hiker, have but my mother often picked them up - and did so for years and years. Including in Los Angeles. We kids would beg her not to, but she persisted until she was about 70 (so into the 1990s). :eek:

Nothing bad ever happened to her at the hands of a hitchhiker. She may have had a guardian angel.

My mother was a kind woman who always had a lot of compassion for young people.
I know hitchhiking and picking up hitchhikers was the thing back in the day, but holy smokes, your mom was a trooper. :)

As a teenager, I worked several summers as a counselor at a summer camp in the Catsklll Mountains in NY. On our day off, we would go out on the road and hitchhike to some local attraction, usually a waterfall or something like that. We traveled in small groups, so it was probably somewhat safer. We were always picked up by nice, friendly, middle-aged people, never a bit of trouble.

I realize now, of course, how dangerous this probably was. But those were more innocent times.

Hope this wasn't already a previous topic - it's all sooo true and nostalgically funny!

Quoted from the article ~ It's pretty much a miracle that any of us survived childhood in the 1960s! Parents exposed kids to secondhand smoke and let them run wild in the streets. Sugar was in everything and hazards lurked everywhere. Given today's hands-on style of parenting, it's hard to believe some of the things that were "normal" for kids in the '60s.

https://www.countryliving.com/life/kids-pets/g4906/things-60s-kids-did-that-would-horrify-us-now/

Which ones do you remember the most?
We have a nurse that sits on her lunchbreak and micromanages her children on the phone. I can't stand to listen to her. The worst of it for us as kids was the brother and I would try to kill each other after an hour. We'd get separated till later. For some reason we weren't dumb enough to get into as much trouble as today's youth and I don't know why. Different times I guess.

We have a nurse that sits on her lunchbreak and micromanages her children on the phone. I can't stand to listen to her. The worst of it for us as kids was the brother and I would try to kill each other after an hour. We'd get separated till later. For some reason we weren't dumb enough to get into as much trouble as today's youth and I don't know why. Different times I guess.

I think we really didn't have much opportunity to get into very serious trouble. Back when I was a kid, about the most serious trouble you could get into was sneaking out behind the gym to smoke (plain ol' cigarettes) or (horrors!) figuring out how to get a six pack of beer and packing about 10 kids in a car and going to the dollar-a-car drive-in theater. Or maybe drag racing cars out by the edge of town. Of course, as a girl, I couldn't participate in the actual racing, but just stood around with the other girls and tried to look impressed as the boys zoomed by in their cars throwing dust on us. My then boyfriend had an old Ford he thought was the fastest thing in the universe. My dad would have KILLED me if he'd have known I was out there.

That old dirt road is all paved over and is in the middle of a housing area now. Pity.

Back