55 Communities - Pros and Cons

Gardenlover

Bedazzled Member
A relative who lives in a 55+ community stated that given the chance he wouldn't move into an older community again. His reasoning was that too many of the people have nothing better to do than degrade the current leadership, facilities, goverment, etc. etc. Basically they have too much time on their hands.

I've always thought a 55+ community would be quiet and safe. What are the thoughts of those who live in these communities?

A relative who lives in a 55+ community stated that given the chance he wouldn't move into an older community again. His reasoning was that too many of the people have nothing better to do than degrade the current leadership, facilities, goverment, etc. etc. Basically they have too much time on their hands.

I've always thought a 55+ community would be quiet and safe. What are the thoughts of those who live in these communities?
I suspect it depends entirely on the village itself and the residents. Personally, I don't want to be around people who constantly complain whether they be neighbors, a senior center group, or just folks meeting for coffee. It's one thing to express dissatisfaction with the goal of finding solutions and something else entirely to spend the live long day complaining. Life is too short at this point to waste it moaning and groaning.

I suspect it depends entirely on the village itself and the residents. Personally, I don't want to be around people who constantly complain whether they be neighbors, a senior center group, or just folks meeting for coffee. It's one thing to express dissatisfaction with the goal of finding solutions and something else entirely to spend the live long day complaining. Life is too short at this point to waste it moaning and groaning.
This is how I feel exactly. I’m not a social butterfly. If and when I do interact with others, I like the interaction to be a pleasant one. Being raised by pessimists managed to help cast a cloud over everything mentally which can be a difficult thing to turn around once it becomes a habit.

Some people instantly notice things that they like and focus on those attributes. They have a healthier lighter attitude

Some people instantly notice all the things that they dislike and focus or those. These are generally the whiners and complainers.

I would think that each community would be different depending on the people. Since birds of a feather flock together I would think that the whiners & complainers would find each other as well as the positive happy go lucky ones and all the in between.

Last edited:
We have some Del Webb communities around Chicago. Everyone I know likes living there. The only 'catch' is that the homes are expensive and very slow to turn over. If that's not a concern, go visit a community you're interested in. I don't know for a fact, but I would assume things would also depend on outside access. That is, the Del Webb complex that is close to me is near a highway and train stations with easy access to the entire Chicago area. The community itself is nice, lots of activities, nice clubhouse, safe, etc. But you also have the option of getting around outside of the community with endless entertainment and cultural activities.

When we used to go to SW Florida for a few weeks in Dec-Jan, the beachfront complex we stayed at had a group of those kind of old folks. On the pro side, the knit picking helped keep the complex "up to par", on the negative side, they could be a bunch of crabby fault finders. The units in this complex was primarily owned by those that rented them out, though.

Can't imagine what it would be like day after day, would probably get "old" real quick...lol.

I lived in one for about one year, I didn't mix so don't know about the complainers. What would bother me is that since the denizens are ''older people'', you'll be noticing a lot more deaths than average. Pretty depressing. I now live in a mixed community, with children to older folks, I like the diversity.

".... What would bother me is that since the denizens are ''older people'', you'll be noticing a lot more deaths than average. Pretty depressing. I now live in a mixed community, with children to older folks, I like the diversity.
I have heard that comment a number of times from people who were asked if they would consider a retirement community. Yes, a number of people state they want to see younger people in a mixed neighborhood, not just visiting on the weekends with their neighbors. You're the first person I've read that 'escaped' the retirement community. I would assume you're not the only one. All the seniors I know are very active and prefer being in the mixed neighborhood.

You wouldn't want to live in one near me because you get a inspection twice a month and management takes pictures of your apartment every month too see if anything has changed. You are not allowed any drinking alcohol and no parties in your apartment.

This is a new complex and people are leaving big time because of the rules.

Last edited:
55+ communities come in many, many varieties, sizes, and types.
The one we lived in in Arizona was population 29000, mostly in private homes.
The one we live now is population 9000, all in 2 or 3 story apartment buildings.
Neither is assisted living nor do they have dining rooms. They both have clubs and activities.

I know someone who lives in a 55+ apartment complex, and from what I have seen, it is exactly the kind of place that I would choose if I were going to live in an apartment alone. They are not assisted living, but the complex has an indoor pool/exercise area, and they have community activities in the “rec-room” near the pool area.

I think that it would be a lot quieter than just having an apartment in a regular complex, too. I have a friend who moved into an apartment after she sold her house, and she complains about her neighbors all of the time, and has even moved from one apartment to another one, at least once already.

I definitely would NOT want an apartment like @Robert59 mentioned, and it does not seem legal that they could even come in every two weeks and inspect and take pictures. When you pay your rent, you should be able to expect privacy, and to drink alcohol as long as you are not having wild parties there.

I'm about to go into my 3rd year at my 55+ apartment. I love it here for many reasons ... the quiet, activities monthly, and many people like myself around with same interests .. I'm probably about in the middle age range (76) at these apartments.

Had my "yearly inspection" last week ....and how it went down > the office manager stopped at my door one afternoon, for about 30 seconds, peeked in the door, and handed me a piece of paper that said that I passed inspection ...lol So much for that!

Both management and maintenance are the sweetest people, and I've never had a problem when asking for anything. They can be reached 24/7.. There are 255 apartments here, in 9 buildings, and then they have a community center and office buildings up front. The middle area of the complex is like a park with swimming pool and sidewalks in every direction. Lots of doggy walking area.

With being how old most of the Seniors are in our area, we don't even want to visit the Senior Center here. We are 70/me-72/wife and they are mostly in their later 70's and up. From the way it appears, most of their activity, is meeting each other at local McDonalds in the AM for coffee and discussing/complaining how much the city has changed. Some have lived here so long, they graduated out of the same high school. None of them like "progress" and that's very apparent, however, some types of "progress" is fine, while others aren't.

As far as a 55+ complex, it would have to be much quieter at night in early mornings than what we've encounter at apartments we've lived in. We don't have kids/grandkids, so living among younger or older isn't necessarily for us. We find it hard to talk to them, because they are so young and don't know hardly anything we talk about. The young adults seem to be fairly inconsiderate of others, when it comes to noise. Were we that way at that age...…...I don't remember.

Best place for us, if we could've done it, was a house on five or so acres, with neighbors at least a half a mile away. Like the farm I spent my high school years living on.

Not interested in 55+ or any type of restricted housing situation. No HOAs for us, thank you very much.

We like having all manner of diversity in our neighborhood, age included. Noisy dogs, shouting children, occasional loud parties, oodles of trick-or-treaters, kids sometimes cutting across our lawn, etc., are all part of the experience of living with other humans.

I love mine. It is small, quiet, inexpensive, has nice amenities, lovely view and located in the 'back of beyond' so no big city sirens, truck/bus air pollution.

Birds are my noisiest neighbors other than the dumpster man on his twice a week visit.

Management maintains the common areas well and keeps a low profile. There are a few busy-bodies and trouble-makers but aren't they everywhere?

And, yes, occasionally there is a death but you'll find that everywhere old people congregate. Twould be scary if otherwise.

It depends where you live. If you live with a bunch of uneducated, low lives, you get what you get. If you live in a condo with a bunch of interesting, well traveled, educated people with many hobbies then you win. Fortunately, we have lived the last 2 years in condos with wonderful folks who were teachers, nurses, bankers, etc. & they are wonderful. They are good at happy hour because they have good pensions, have a great retirement & are happy with themselves.

There is a discussion going on in this site regarding whether its better to live in your own home or to rent. We just received an e-mail from our friend in New Zealand who lives in her own house. She is 79, has lived there for over a decade & wrote that she has not made any friends. We have lived in a condo for the last 2 years & have many close friends. Guess we're lucky but it might mean something about the place where we have chosen to live.

There is a discussion going on in this site regarding whether its better to live in your own home or to rent. We just received an e-mail from our friend in New Zealand who lives in her own house. She is 79, has lived there for over a decade & wrote that she has not made any friends. We have lived in a condo for the last 2 years & have many close friends. Guess we're lucky but it might mean something about the place where we have chosen to live.
I agree to a certain degree, but it only takes one or two socially charismatic people to turn that trend around.

We had the option of living in a senior community or typical neighborhood. Didn't much care for the thought that living where your neighbors have 1 foot in the grave , way to depressing . Happy living in a neighborhood where life goes on like were used to.

Back