60 Minutes Last Night On Probiotics

The bottom line was none of the OTC probiotics do anything yet they cannot be taken off the shelves.
Just one more example of the inept laws and individuals behind the corrupt, sleazy, and underhanded food regulation industry.

When it's a known fact that a percentage of store-bought parmesan cheese has wood pulp (YES, WOOD PULP) added to it, as consumers, that tells us everything we need to know, not only from the standpoint of being RIPPED OFF at the checkout, but being exposed to potential cancer causing agents (AS CAN BE READILY FOUND IN DARK SODA POP SUCH AS COCA COLA), to ingesting food that has other questionable ingredients and fillers added to it.

It's insulting to say the least.

Just one more example of the inept laws and individuals behind the corrupt, sleazy, and underhanded food regulation industry.

When it's a known fact that a percentage of store-bought parmesan cheese has wood pulp (YES, WOOD PULP) added to it, as consumers, that tells us everything we need to know, not only from the standpoint of being RIPPED OFF at the checkout, but being exposed to potential cancer causing agents (AS CAN BE READILY FOUND IN DARK SODA POP SUCH AS COCA COLA), to ingesting food that has other questionable ingredients and fillers added to it.

It's insulting to say the least.
Kinda like the sawdust that used to be in Sunbeam bread?

https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-cellulose-1328464

How Cellulose Is Used in Food

Fiber Supplement: With rising awareness about fiber intake, cellulose has become one of the most popular food additives.

Anti-caking: Cellulose’s ability to absorb moisture and coat ingredients in a fine powder makes it the ingredient of choice for anti-caking applications. Shredded and grated cheeses, spice mixes, and powdered drink mixes are just a few of the many food items that take advantage of cellulose as an anti-caking agent.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-cellulose-1328464

How Cellulose Is Used in Food

Fiber Supplement: With rising awareness about fiber intake, cellulose has become one of the most popular food additives.

Anti-caking: Cellulose’s ability to absorb moisture and coat ingredients in a fine powder makes it the ingredient of choice for anti-caking applications. Shredded and grated cheeses, spice mixes, and powdered drink mixes are just a few of the many food items that take advantage of cellulose as an anti-caking agent.
Nothing like being charged top dollar for garbage product! Fiber awareness, my rear-end! The added cellulose they add equates to nothing more than one more avenue in which manufacturers can rip consumers off, and it's despicable! :mad:

O.K. So then it's not wood chips is it? And it's not cellulose like kitchen sponges? The percentages and content of everything have to be on the label.

Buy local. They don't use preservatives because they want the bread to go stale so you need to buy more.

Back to your question about, what are otc probiotics....i dont think they mean yougurt, which would be actual probiotics...i think it refers to capsules sold in jars, or tabs in blister packs.....containing "many different strains of probiotic cultures" ....

The bottom line was none of the OTC probiotics do anything yet they cannot be taken off the shelves.

We have been "brainwashed" into thinking that there is a "magic pill" for nearly everything....witness the endless "ask your doctor" commercials on TV. It seems that millions have abandoned the basic rules of Diet and Exercise, and assume that taking pills is the answer to good health. While there are probably some benefits to taking basic supplements, much of this stuff is little more than "hype" that does little other than "mask" the real problems.

Just the cellulose from wood. That's what carpenter ants and termites do when they destroy your foundations.
However. I'm only going to buy real cheese from Italy and grate it myself to sprinkle on my pasta. It's more expensive but so what for how little I use. I don't like sensationalism reporting . They don't just grind up wood chips. They extract the cellulose. Not only from wood. From asparagus, apples, or other fibre products. We eat bran husks and rice husks and psyllium.

I didn't see that but I know you can add probiotics to your food plan by making fermented foods, such as sauerkraut and other types of foods. Also yogurt with the live cultures, but beware of the ones who have added sugar and other ingredients. I only buy a brand I trust that is organic plain, whole milk yogurt. Eating some daily.

As for the Parmesan cheese, I buy a small block of it and grate my own when needed. I am a ingredient list reader and try to buy smart.

O.K. So then it's not wood chips is it? And it's not cellulose like kitchen sponges? The percentages and content of everything have to be on the label.

Buy local. They don't use preservatives because they want the bread to go stale so you need to buy more.
I don't know if it is still true but requiring the percentages applied only if the number was enough to be counted back when.

Back