A “sufficient” wardrobe consists of 74 garments and 20 outfits in total

The first thing about this article that irritates me is others thinking they should tell me how many clothes I can have. Getting past that and moving forward 74 items really isn't very many, especially if you live where there are 4 seasons.

For example, there is outer wear, coats, jackets, sweaters, rain coat, snow boots, sandals, dress shoes, sneakers, on and on and that's just outerwear and shoes.

That said, I have way too many clothes and I've been working on it, kind of at a snail's pace. 🐌

The thing to remember tho' is that we all live in various different climates, and some of us have to have a lot of every season clothing, whereas those who live in a warm climate would need a lot less..
That's true. We moved from Colorado where we needed all weather clothes, sweaters, snow pants, boots etc., etc to East North Carolina where you might need a heavy winter coat 3 weeks a year in January.
Layers are the key here. I slowly weeded out the cold winter stuff over the years.

So I got curious and counted. I have one winter coat, one spring/rain, one windbreaker, 5 sweatshirts, 13 sweaters, 24 long sleeve shirts, 23 short sleeve shirts, 2 dresses, 7 capris, 8 pants, 5 bras, 10 sports bras, 6 pairs of shoes, 15 pjs and 21 pairs each of undies and socks. Grand total 🟰 155. As my pjs, undies and socks wear out I will not replace until they are each halved.

When I was a kid clothes were expensive because they were made in the USA and consequently people had a lot fewer clothes. Also when everything was made here sizes were universal so you knew things would fit without trying them on.

Weather does make a difference. We have a mild 4 seasons. When I lived in upstate New York or Wisconsin I had more coats, boots, etc because things got wet. A lot of times in the winter I just wear a sweater.

3 years ago I lost 50lbs so needed everything. My best friend lost weight and she had bought a bunch of new expensive clothes right before and she gave them to me. We have similar tastes so that was lucky.

I know from the past that if I have too many clothes I will just wear my favorites. I have been getting rid of something in the same category if I buy something. I do that to keep the same amount of clothes.

Money is another factor of course and I have to decide what I want to spend it on. I would rather spend it on trips, home improvement, experiences and quality food and vet care for my dogs.

I remember as a kid getting a new coat every three years.

The first year, it was all bright and new but definitely too big so that I could "grow into it ".

Year two, it fit perfectly but was not looking new.

Year three, it was getting tight and Mom would move the buttons and sew knitted cuffs on the sleeves because they were too short.

Dresses and pants had the hems "let down" and, if necessary, ric-rac was sewn on to disguise the hem alterations. I'm adorned in ric-rac in more childhood photos than I was happy about.

Got a hole in something? It got patched; it didn't get discarded.

On the other hand, as the oldest I got the new stuff. My sister's got the hand-me-downs.

I got my thriftiness from my mom.

I remember as a kid getting a new coat every three years.

The first year, it was all bright and new but definitely too big so that I could "grow into it ".

Year two, it fit perfectly but was not looking new.

Year three, it was getting tight and Mom would move the buttons and sew knitted cuffs on the sleeves because they were too short.

Dresses and pants had the hems "let down" and, if necessary, ric-rac was sewn on to disguise the hem alterations. I'm adorned in ric-rac in more childhood photos than I was happy about.

Got a hole in something? It got patched; it didn't get discarded.

On the other hand, as the oldest I got the new stuff. My sister's got the hand-me-downs.

I got my thriftiness from my mom.
That sounds very familiar. 😊

@Teacher Terry I got curious & started to count my things, minus underwear. More than what I thought. We have distinct seasons & dress accordingly. A lot of things I wear all year around & a few you just can't. Since we are outside working in cold temps, we have a couple different jackets, coveralls & boots depending on the temp.
If 74 items includes underwear and socks that’s not much especially in a cold 4 seasons climate. Plus you would have gloves, hats and scarves. It also depends if you have laundry in your house because if you don’t you want more clothes so as not to be dragging it somewhere all the time.

IMHO the writers who said 74 was a good number don't live in the real world like the rest of us. If you work, you will have more clothes & that depends on your job & the weather your in. Same with what you need for where you live.

My washer/dryer is in the house so I don't have to take them anywhere. But, I also don't want to have to do washing all the time because I'm always running out of clothes because I have so few.

I don't think I have a lot for my lifestyle, just what I need. I have more of what I wear the most & only a few dress outfits when needed.

I go through a lot of clothes for the simple reason that I am unable to resist a thrift shop clothing find. I refuse to try something on there, will take it home to wash first and if it does not fit or cannot be altered back it goes as a donation.
Is thrift shop clothing recycled? If so, it is not applicable to the sustainable idea because it is reused clothing and not new. I shopped at Goodwill years ago when I was single. I hardly shop clothes these days. I have basics - white, black, and beige tops and bottoms/skirts that I mix and match, and a few scarfs for color.

So I got curious and counted. I have one winter coat, one spring/rain, one windbreaker, 5 sweatshirts, 13 sweaters, 24 long sleeve shirts, 23 short sleeve shirts, 2 dresses, 7 capris, 8 pants, 5 bras, 10 sports bras, 6 pairs of shoes, 15 pjs and 21 pairs each of undies and socks. Grand total 🟰 155. As my pjs, undies and socks wear out I will not replace until they are each halved.

When I was a kid clothes were expensive because they were made in the USA and consequently people had a lot fewer clothes. Also when everything was made here sizes were universal so you knew things would fit without trying them on.

Weather does make a difference. We have a mild 4 seasons. When I lived in upstate New York or Wisconsin I had more coats, boots, etc because things got wet. A lot of times in the winter I just wear a sweater.

3 years ago I lost 50lbs so needed everything. My best friend lost weight and she had bought a bunch of new expensive clothes right before and she gave them to me. We have similar tastes so that was lucky.

I know from the past that if I have too many clothes I will just wear my favorites. I have been getting rid of something in the same category if I buy something. I do that to keep the same amount of clothes.

Money is another factor of course and I have to decide what I want to spend it on. I would rather spend it on trips, home improvement, experiences and quality food and vet care for my dogs.
Congratulations on losing 50 pounds Terry. That's great! 🎉🎉 I have an insane amount of coats and jackets.
@hollydolly Excellent point about what climate one lives in being a factor in the amount of clothes one needs.

IMHO the writers who said 74 was a good number don't live in the real world like the rest of us.
It was a committee of "experts" hired by the UN. So yeah I don't think they are much in touch with the real world...

Seems like the UN would have better things to do and spend it's money on. Like world peace for example.

I’ve never thought of counting my outfits, quite honestly, it would take forever and a day. I’ve acquired a lot of garments during my travels as well as those bought in the UK.

Nowadays though, I buy for the family since my box room at home which I turned into a large dressing room is overflowing! I never buy clothing online

I can not wrap my head around what exactly in my closet would be considered “an outfit”
My definition of an outfit would be style and colour coordination. Clothes, that includes shoes and hats are something of a passion of mine, fortunately I have a very talented wife who makes about eighty percent of the clothes that I wear. As for 74 items, I would be either embarrassed or maybe a showoff to tell how much is in my wardrobes.

Back