A couple weeks away from getting new car.

Marie5656

The ball is rolling now. After research, test drives, and talk with others, I have decided to go with the Toyota Rav4. A 2020 model. Will be going in next couple weeks, soon as I have financial stuff in order.
I cannot wait. I will be bringing my niece with me to help me get best deal. I am excited about this and cannot wait to move out of the electric car.

Finding a feature-packed hybrid SUV might seem like a costly undertaking, but the 2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid proves that you can get great performance, plenty of utility, and a bevy of technology features for a competitive price. A responsive powertrain resides under the RAV4 Hybrid’s hood, and it helps this compact hybrid SUV deliver an EPA-estimated 41 mpg in the city and 38 mpg on the highway.
Inside, the RAV4 Hybrid treats its passengers to roomy accommodations, while a large cargo hold provides ample space for all of their belongings. Toyota offers up to five USB ports and two household power outlets to help you stay connected, and there are high-tech options like wireless smartphone charging and a 360-degree surround-view camera system. Standard features in the Best Hybrid and Electric SUV for the Money include the Toyota Safety Sense suite of active safety features, as well as a 7-inch touch screen, Apple CarPlay compatibility, and an integrated Wi-Fi hot spot.

Marie - we bought a 2018 Rav4 about 18 months ago and are quite pleased with it. We also looked at the Honda CR-V and the Subaru Forester and are still very happy with our decision. But every car has it's drawbacks. Just a heads-up (based on the 2018 - things may have changed):

1. Headlights - On lighted city streets they're fine, but if you drive on hilly, winding, unlit roads they're particularly poor. If you can, try a night drive before you buy.

2, Do NOT get one with a black interior. We have no lighting below the level of the dash and at night the console area becomes an impenetrable black pit.

3. My records show 26.8 mpg average gas mileage for combined city and highway driving since we bought the car.

I'm not knocking the Rav4. It seems to be a great vehicle with a load of "pluses". Just want you to be informed.

We're going drive the hell out of our Caddy till after the wedding. When the dust has settled from that, we're going to start looking for a small SUV, so I'm following this thread with interest.

Edited to add: (because I didn't mean to make the OP's thread about me!!!) Marie, I'm so glad you're gonna get the car you want! I know the electric car was Rick's thing, and now you get to have YOUR thing!! 💜

The e car was my husband's dream. I am so over it now.

I would LOVE to have an electric car ! I only drive a little ways a few times a week, so I think that it would be perfect for my driving needs. Any new car is only a fantasy in my life, but, if I could have a vehicle of my choosing, that is what I would choose I think.
What kind of electric car do you have, and what do you not like about it ?

I would LOVE to have an electric car ! I only drive a little ways a few times a week, so I think that it would be perfect for my driving needs. Any new car is only a fantasy in my life, but, if I could have a vehicle of my choosing, that is what I would choose I think.
What kind of electric car do you have, and what do you not like about it ?
fair question. Problem for me is that I would like to start traveling some and the world has not kept up with the need for charging stations for electric cars. There are few, if any, charging stations available to the public at hotels and restaurants.
the car is a Chevy Bolt. The car itself is not bad, just the lack of public charging. Plus the range drops considerably in cold weather. The basic 110v charger that comes with the car takes several hours to go to full charge.
I was just not happy with it.

I admire you Marie, I would love to buy another car, but
the insurance companies here frown on the older driver.

Mike.

The ball is rolling now. After research, test drives, and talk with others, I have decided to go with the Toyota Rav4. A 2020 model. Will be going in next couple weeks, soon as I have financial stuff in order.
I cannot wait. I will be bringing my niece with me to help me get best deal. I am excited about this and cannot wait to move out of the electric car.

So nice Marie! ...Enjoy!! ...

Last edited:
My daughter has a Mini Cooper, which is a hybrid gas/electric, and she just loves that little car. She travels a lot for her work, and it is the perfect traveling vehicle. I think it is a 2018, she has had it a couple of years now, and I have gone with her on a couple of trips. Most of the hotels have parking spots with charging stations, so she has no problem being able to charge it at night, and with the good gas mileage and hybrid efficiency, she seldom even needs to put gas in.
We drove all the way from northern Alabama to Orlando, and I think we might have gotten gas once, but I am not even sure about that, we might have just charged up at night when we stopped.

Back