A smile, eye contact and share a meal

Welcome Sunshine from Sydney, book me in for Christmas lunch.

sydney2.jpg

Attachments

• sydney.jpg
    sydney.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 0
I like your quote about curiosity.

Thanks, I've always liked it, too.

Back when I was a kid, my grandma always encouraged my curiosity, but tempered that advice, to always proceed with caution before following my nose. Grandma only made it to the 6th grade, but in retrospect was one of the wisest people I've ever personally known.

So, @Sunshine, where are you from? Here in the US? The UK? Down Under?

eta: I remember once asking Grandma, if we referred to Australia as 'down under' - did they refer to us as 'up yonder?' She only laughed and admitted that she didn't rightly know... I still miss her.

just another add: just scrolled up to read the posts following my original post and see that you've already answered. BC's a beautiful spot on our humble planet, but I'm bettin' that your winters are long?

Last edited:

Back when I was a kid, my grandma always encouraged my curiosity, but tempered that advice, to always proceed with caution before following my nose. Grandma only made it to the 6th grade, but in retrospect was one of the wisest people I've ever personally known.

eta: I remember once asking Grandma, if we referred Australia as 'down under' - did they refer to us as 'up yonder?' She only laughed and admitted that she didn't rightly know... I still miss her.

just another add: just scrolled up to read the posts following my original post and see that you've already answered. BC's a beautiful spot on our humble planet, but I'm bettin' that your winters are long?cooler

eta: I remember once asking Grandma, if we referred Australia as 'down under' - did they refer to us as 'up yonder?' She only laughed and admitted that she didn't rightly know... I still miss her.

just another add: just scrolled up to read the posts following my original post and see that you've already answered. BC's a beautiful spot on our humble planet, but I'm bettin' that your winters are long?
Cooler now. Still picking the last of the tomatoes. Sometimes can be mowing the lawn in Feb. not nad compared to the prairies.

Hey Sunshine, welcome!

Well, not exactly a turkey, but I know the feeling. I have lots of nice bbq equipment and am finding fewer opportunities to use it. Perhaps we both need to look around for a wider circle of friends.

My grandfather, who lived to within days of his 100th birthday, always used to tell me that if I planned to live as long as he I should make a real effort to find younger friends. When he told me I paid little attention, now I am beginning to better understand his wisdom.

This is exactly the kind of thing folks here like to talk about, and often have good ideas.
Good advice from your grandfather. I too am beginning to understand that wisdom too. Sometimes I get to feeling down about friendship in old age. I read an article the other day that said that if you want to have friends in old age, the best way to do that is to get in a time machine, go back to when you were a kid (preferably before the age of 8), and the friends you had back then--or if you didn't have friends back then, make' em this time--and then never move away from the area as long as you live and don't let any of them move away either. Sad but I keep hearing more and more that real, true, honest friends are only made when you're young. I remember my grandfather saying pretty much the same: "You'll never make any friends later in life--if you make any at all in later life--that are as good as the friends you made when you're a kid. Old friends are the best."

Good advice from your grandfather. I too am beginning to understand that wisdom too. Sometimes I get to feeling down about friendship in old age. I read an article the other day that said that if you want to have friends in old age, the best way to do that is to get in a time machine, go back to when you were a kid (preferably before the age of 8), and the friends you had back then--or if you didn't have friends back then, make' em this time--and then never move away from the area as long as you live and don't let any of them move away either. Sad but I keep hearing more and more that real, true, honest friends are only made when you're young. I remember my grandfather saying pretty much the same: "You'll never make any friends later in life--if you make any at all in later life--that are as good as the friends you made when you're a kid. Old friends are the best."
Well I am old (hate to admit it) and friendly. Best I can do. Can’t reverse time. Just smile and see if I can be a blessing. Happy Thanksgiving

As one of the true oldsters here, I agree with the advice of making friends with younger folks. They keep you young and alert. More fun as well. My old friends have all passed on, but I enjoy good humor. Also, look for people from other countries to talk to at times. That's so interesting to me as well. Above all, enjoy the group. We aim to just chill as they say.
118995813_170629584654848_4583520414847912115_n.jpg

Back