A Solar Eclipse is Coming

Mike

There will be a solar eclipse on the 14th October 2023, unfortunately
it will only be able to be seen in the Americas, we in other parts of the
World won't be able to witness it, but we will all get something either
good or bad from the effects, they are usually good though.

Enjoy the experience.

Mike.

Here in the 'States the full eclipse will only be seen in a narrow arched band from Washington state to Texas which is not that populated. The rest of the country will only get a partial look.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm only in the 50% band in Virginia and it's predicted to be 37% showers. If the weatherman was only as good as the astronomers, but I'll be watching. I took a three day trip to catch the last eclipse in it's totality. It was a 10 minute experience that I will never forget.

We should be able to see the full 'ring of fire' as the path i saw laid out stretches diagonally thru my state from the Four Corners in NW to SE corner border with Texas.

My daughter even got a call yesterday (the 9th) from someone wanting a reservation so they can observe it and they were angry all the hotels/motels in Albuquerque were booked up, mostly because the Balloon Festival is this week (10th thru 15th).

We are about an hour north of that city and i really think it will be more impressive away from big cities. Tho i know from having witnessed a full eclipse in Manhattan sometime in late 60s that those are a bit unnerving. A cousin of mine had visited and after lunch we were sitting in Tompkins Square Park when it got darker and darker, when the birds went quiet is when we remembered the eclipse was that day.

Will try to get photo. As active as the solar flares have been lately it might not be the nice neat ring they depict in articles. There have been some massive ejections this year.

I witnessed on in 1999 I think in the center of London, I was
working on the underground at the time, building an extension,
we all went upstairs at around 12 noon, slowly it got darker and
then it was night for maybe 3 minutes, quite eerie considering
that we were in the middle of the day.

Some people were actually frightened, though I don't know why,
maybe they didn't know what was happening.

Anyway enjoy the experience, "Night", during the day.

Mike.

@JustDave That's the map i saw. My little village is near where letters a & r in word annular on the 90% band.
That does look like the middle of nowhere (my kind of place). When I did that three day drive to see the total eclipse, I found what I thought was the exact center of the zone of totality. I may have gained myself another 60 seconds of enchantment. I'm not sure, but I wanted to make sure I was in the middle of the sweet spot. It was in the middle of nowhere also.

I remember seeing an eclipse when I was young, probably 10 or younger. I read that there will be another eclipse in April 2024, most likely visible in more states.

Back