A Young Member Of Your Family Is Thinking Of Joining A Police Force......Your Advice?

Forget the big city. If you want to go into law enforcement go to a nice county away from the big cities and go to either the Sheriff's Office or else become a state trooper.

So it turns out while I was posting about my grandson and his dangerous job yesterday,his younger brother got zapped with 400+ volts of electricity doing his job. Don`t know all the details of what exactly happened yet, just saw a picture. He called his dad right away,and son in law said it could have gone very bad...Adrian jolt.jpg

His job is driving a bucket truck to different locations every day and servicing light fixtures in parking lots.

There are different levels of police, but regardless of the size, there are risks at all levels. When that radio crackles and you hear your number called to respond to a robbery, murder or even as a backup, your instincts kick in and you begin to go into defense mode. Then there is also the routine traffic stop. While walking up to that vehicle, as a police officer, you have no idea what's coming out through the window. Even when called to the scene of a domestic dispute or a fire, your instincts go on high alert and you become hyper vigilant to everything around you. There is never a time when you can just relax while on a call.

I knew that I wanted to be a state policeman at the age of 9. My parents wrote it off as every little boy's wish to either be a cop, fireman or cowboy. I grew up in Hershey, PA, home of the Pennsylvania State Police Academy, so I had many opportunities to be around a Trooper and speak with them, which I did. Almost everyday of my young life, I worked and made decisions based on wanting to become a state policeman. I knew that the things that I did as a young man would make a difference at recruitment time. So, I was in the Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and even the Explorer Scouts, but only for 1 year. I did well in school and stayed out of trouble. While a senior in high school, I joined the Marines and then served my time after graduating. Becoming a state policeman is a process.

Every person has to make that decision for theirself. If they ask my advice, I can give them the pros and cons. Like any job, there is risk, but not as much as one would believe. For example, in 2018, I believe there were 170 deaths within all police forces. It's hard to imagine, but a lot of police are killed while responding to a call and being involved in a vehicle crash.

I think each person considering a career in law officer should speak with a police officer. Ask them what are the pros and cons. It's not all glory as some people believe. One of the biggest things that I have noticed since starting my career is that as a policeman, we have lost some respect and confidence from the public due to media reporting not all the facts. Many people just read the headlines and from that derive their own story. Yes, there are some bad cops, just like there are bad teachers, doctors and plumbers. Respect is something that you, as a police officer, has to work at. It's not given to you. I changed Barracks 6 times in my career, probably more than any other Trooper. I wanted to move around the state and not get caught up in the same old day to day routine. It's not a career for everyone.

So, if you have someone ask you what's your advice, tell them to ask a cop, or better yet. Go with them. That's my advice.

So it turns out while I was posting about my grandson and his dangerous job yesterday,his younger brother got zapped with 400+ volts of electricity doing his job. Don`t know all the details of what exactly happened yet, just saw a picture. He called his dad right away,and son in law said it could have gone very bad...View attachment 83930

His job is driving a bucket truck to different locations every day and servicing light fixtures in parking lots.
How many Amps was it? That's more important than Volts.

There are different levels of police, but regardless of the size, there are risks at all levels. When that radio crackles and you hear your number called to respond to a robbery, murder or even as a backup, your instincts kick in and you begin to go into defense mode. Then there is also the routine traffic stop. While walking up to that vehicle, as a police officer, you have no idea what's coming out through the window. Even when called to the scene of a domestic dispute or a fire, your instincts go on high alert and you become hyper vigilant to everything around you. There is never a time when you can just relax while on a call.

I knew that I wanted to be a state policeman at the age of 9. My parents wrote it off as every little boy's wish to either be a cop, fireman or cowboy. I grew up in Hershey, PA, home of the Pennsylvania State Police Academy, so I had many opportunities to be around a Trooper and speak with them, which I did. Almost everyday of my young life, I worked and made decisions based on wanting to become a state policeman. I knew that the things that I did as a young man would make a difference at recruitment time. So, I was in the Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and even the Explorer Scouts, but only for 1 year. I did well in school and stayed out of trouble. While a senior in high school, I joined the Marines and then served my time after graduating. Becoming a state policeman is a process.

Every person has to make that decision for theirself. If they ask my advice, I can give them the pros and cons. Like any job, there is risk, but not as much as one would believe. For example, in 2018, I believe there were 170 deaths within all police forces. It's hard to imagine, but a lot of police are killed while responding to a call and being involved in a vehicle crash.

I think each person considering a career in law officer should speak with a police officer. Ask them what are the pros and cons. It's not all glory as some people believe. One of the biggest things that I have noticed since starting my career is that as a policeman, we have lost some respect and confidence from the public due to media reporting not all the facts. Many people just read the headlines and from that derive their own story. Yes, there are some bad cops, just like there are bad teachers, doctors and plumbers. Respect is something that you, as a police officer, has to work at. It's not given to you. I changed Barracks 6 times in my career, probably more than any other Trooper. I wanted to move around the state and not get caught up in the same old day to day routine. It's not a career for everyone.

So, if you have someone ask you what's your advice, tell them to ask a cop, or better yet. Go with them. That's my advice.
I don't think police officers have lost respect & confidence from the public due to media reporting. They lost respect & confidence because they have seen video evidence of police misconduct & excessive force. Unlike people, videos don't lie. They also see other officers support & defend such misconduct & the "Code of Silence" at work.

It's not up to me, is it? But I might ask them a few questions, like 1) WHY do you want to do this? and 2) Have you researched the dangers of it? Some people are just born to do this kind of job, and it's not fair to discourage them.

My son has decided to become a police officer, he was in the military for four years and was deployed twice to combat zones. He was also raised in the military so he has a background dealing with difficult situations. It makes me very nervous as a mom but I support his aspirations and goals, I believe that the vast majority of police officers are honorable people and want to care for the public. And I know my son and he will be there to protect and to serve.

Last edited:
I don't think police officers have lost respect & confidence from the public due to media reporting. They lost respect & confidence because they have seen video evidence of police misconduct & excessive force. Unlike people, videos don't lie. They also see other officers support & defend such misconduct & the "Code of Silence" at work.
If you say so, it must be true.

If you say so, it must be true.
I don't need to say so; videos don't lie: note that after the officer executes the suspect, he & another officer plant a stun gun next to the suspect's body to justify the shooting & the "I feared for my life" B.S. And, neither officer knew a witness was videotaping. Without the video, the officers would likely have gotten away with murder. You'd think officers learned something from the Rodney King incident. Again, when officers don't know they're being videotaped, they all get together & lie as a group:

How many Amps was it? That's more important than Volts.

That I don`t know. He was home for the weekend and I wanted to stop by and see him and ask about it but his roommate was with him and I can`t stand the guy,so I didn`t stop.

Back