AARP

When I was younger I enjoyed reading my grandmother's AARP magazine.

It contained some articles that appealed to me and contained information that applied to most average people.

Today the magazine seems to be geared towards more affluent seniors and contains articles that are of little interest to me.

IMO the AARP of today is little more than a front for selling insurance, phone service, travel, etc...

Seems to me like the age of who is a “senior “ is constantly being lowered to increase the size of merchants’ target markets. Some places even give “Sr” discounts to 50 yr olds to get their business. But the 50 yr olds and a lot of the 60s are “not amused” to be lumped together with really old seniors.

I used to be a AARP member,and a member on their website for 5 yrs
In the beginning the website was very welcoming,people were friendly.Some groups on the site were private,I joined a couple .One day out of the blue,'the powers that be' changed the website format never notifying us until after it was done.All the groups were now open no more private ones,what an uproar that caused,many long time posters left in droves
Once in awhile I would venture over to the 'political forum' post my view on a topic.Boy,there were alot of angry people there,the adminstrators really didn't do anything to stop the vicious mean spirited attacks. It was after that I decided to leave AARP altogether,cancelled by subscription,came over here in 2017,what a refreshing difference

I was a member of AARP for several years....signed up perhaps 20 years ago. As time passed, it seemed that they were more interested in their advertising and sales than anything of substance for seniors. I let my membership lapse at least 10 years ago.

I was never a member and don't want to be a member. Does anyone know how to stop the spam mail they send my wife and I by the US Postal Service? We must get 2 or 3 applications each a week.

I hear lots of complaints about the USPS, but we have had excellent service for decades, both from the letter carriers who deliver to the house and from the people working the counters at the post office. Maybe we're just lucky, and simply by chance live near the best post office in Los Angeles. Or maybe the people complaining all the time need to find something productive to do.

AARP is and always has been nothing more than a rather crass marketing organization trying to disguise itself as a seniors' association. I won't give them the time of day, let alone any money for "membership". It's usually a good idea to steer clear of "associations" where members have no real voice (i.e., voting).
I totally agree. For most of its life, AARP was a wholly owned subsidiary of The Hartford Insurance Co. It's now "AARP". That's the name "AARP", it's no longer "American Assn Of Retire People"., but AARP. They've given up the pretense that the organization is some sort of senior citizen's benefit group. I remember when AARP was touted as a grass roots, charitable org. with members all over the US. Turns out, the vast nationwide network was just a listing of the the branch mangers of The Hartford. At least by changing to just the letters AARP, maybe so many won't have their mailboxes stuffed with insurance promos.

Last edited:
Use the "postage paid" envelopes and cards to send bricks to them. Nice heavy packages, generating a large postage bills. They might get the hint.
I started the "hobby" of collecting postage paid junk and putting in the mail. Then, one day I discovered another devotee. Good to know you have also joined the club. :p

Back