Alexa and Google Home

One side note, I do tend to "thank" Google Home when I ask it something like what the weather forecast is for the day. I read in a poll that almost half the users do "thank" their virtual assistant. I am often reminded of the movie Her when I do thank my Google Home.
Yup, I kind of do too.. At the end of the night and I'm shutting down the stereo. I always say, thanks & good night to the echo dot just before I unplug her. (I always try to be polite and have good manners..)

never had a use for them and in watching others with them in their home no thanks....
one guy had to repeat or rephrase his question several times ........yet his google whatever answered in gibberish not at all what he asked....
do not need reminders or listening which is what they do all the time..... recording many things....

Last edited:
No Alexa or Google Home in my home. I'm moderately savvy with technology, but I would rather google a reference question I have and use my own brain a bit than to sit and simply be told the answers.

Moving around is something we all need, mentally and physically, and emotionally. Reaching for a remote for my DVD player, or CD player, at least makes me move. While I'm up I often stay there and dance a bit, or do another chore around my house.

So far, so good, and I intend to keep it that way.:)

No Alexa or Google Home in my home. I'm moderately savvy with technology, but I would rather google a reference question I have and use my own brain a bit than to sit and simply be told the answers.

Moving around is something we all need, mentally and physically, and emotionally. Reaching for a remote for my DVD player, or CD player, at least makes me move. While I'm up I often stay there and dance a bit, or do another chore around my house.

you know that not all answers are correct on google...or even the home technology... but also that you can use the home technology to set an exercise routine for you at the mention of just a word...

I find Alexa has a lot less knowledgeable info ( that I need).. than Google Home Hub .
We must have very different needs. When I used Google Home exclusively, before I had Alexa, many responses to me were "I'm still learning that". Alexa does not do that but will start rattling off things "found on the web." Somewhat annoying to me.

We must have very different needs. When I used Google Home exclusively, before I had Alexa, many responses to me were "I'm still learning that". Alexa does not do that but will start rattling off things "found on the web." Somewhat annoying to me.
I have that same response from Alexa... ..I would get really angry and say to my husband..what the heck use is that thing, it knows nothing... :eek:

you know that not all answers are correct on google...or even the home technology... but also that you can use the home technology to set an exercise routine for you at the mention of just a word...
I am well aware that not everything extracted from the Google resource center is accurate. It is my choice not to have Alexa set up my exercise routine. I go to a workout center for that, or take a long walk in my local park.

Did you know that sunshine and fresh air are much better for you than waiting for Alexa to tell you to do squats? :cool:
Google it! ;)

@hollydolly I find Alexa very helpful in playing exercise music, converting measurements when I'm cooking or baking. Reminding me to turn on the TV for something special I want to watch, maintaining my shopping list, etc.
yes that's about all I use Alexa for.. which is why I have it downstairs, and Google Home Hub in the office....the only thing with Google is, that very often it's answers are the first it finds on ''google'' which of course are not always the correct answers

I am well aware that not everything extracted from the Google resource center is accurate. It is my choice not to have Alexa set up my exercise routine. I go to a workout center for that, or take a long walk in my local park.

Did you know that sunshine and fresh air are much better for you than waiting for Alexa to tell you to do squats? :cool:
Google it! ;)
I don't think that was necessary to be sarcastic... the fact is that as many people here will attest, I'm very outdoor active... however you seem to be foregeting that there's people here who just cant' take 'walks in the park'' or go to 'workout centres'...

I don't think that was necessary to be sarcastic... the fact is that as many people here will attest, I'm very outdoor active... however you seem to be foregeting that there's people here who just cant' take 'walks in the park'' or go to 'workout centres'...
@hollydolly , you were being condescending to me. I wasn't being sarcastic, but trying to speak to you honestly.
We have different views about these devices. I was under the impression I could give my opinion without a hassle.

@hollydolly I find Alexa very helpful in playing exercise music, converting measurements when I'm cooking or baking. Reminding me to turn on the TV for something special I want to watch, maintaining my shopping list, etc.

yes that's about all I use Alexa for.. which is why I have it downstairs, and Google Home Hub in the office....the only thing with Google is, that very often it's answers are the first it finds on ''google'' which of course are not always the correct answers
Same here. Also weather reports.
I have Alexa on a couple of echo dots. Best timer, alarm and reminder setup I've ever had. Sometimes when cooking or baking I need to do some mathematical calculations. Sure, I could interrupt what I'm doing, wash my hands, get pencil and paper and do the conversions the old fashioned way, but it's faster and easier to ask Alexa to do it.

That is one of the big drawbacks....it makes us lazy. Our bodies and minds are meant to be used. Even using the tv remote is adding to our lack of movement.

I shop almost exclusively at Amazon. I use Alexa, along with my computer and cellphone to keep track of my purchases. I get to the point where I'm often able to meet the delivery drivers as they arrive. They love me because I make their jobs easier. I like being in control as well. I don't worry about Alexa spying on me. OK, I do have an Alexa show in the bed room mainly for the clock function. But I have disabled the camera. Amazon provides an easy to find switch for that purpose.

On a side note, does anyone who uses Google Home want to smash Samsung where it hurts for their commercial that starts out with one of the people saying "Hey Google" ? My poor speaker doesn't know what to do with itself.

I have an Alexa - had one for several years. I don't turn it on too much - only when I have family or company over. I enjoy my Alexa. I make sure I unplug it when not in use. True story - my cousin and his lady friend came down from out of town - my sister came over. I did not realize it was his birthday. I ask Alexa to sing Happy Birthday while is lady friend was bringing out his cake. He got teary eyed..

When hubby and I got ADT installed a few years ago the rep asked if we wanted an Alexa echo...it came with the service. I declined...that would have been a bit much. Don't need echo spying..:D

Back