Almond milk

Does anyone know why some almond milk is in the refrigerated section and others are on the shelves.
I always get the ones on the shelf.
I don't know the answer to this, but the shelf stable always had an off-flavor to me. I only buy
the refrigerated and it tastes so much fresher to my taste buds. Not even sure if I could get my
unsweetened vanilla that's not refrigerated.
EDIT: Found this on a website: (Shape Magazine)
The only difference is in the process: Milk packaged in shelf-stable boxes is held at high heat for longer. Both refrigerated and shelf-stable versions of unsweetened almond milk were included in this taste-off. Nearly without exception, refrigerated milks taste significantly fresher and more flavorful. Apr 2, 2018

I gave it to Paxton when he was a baby, but he couldn't tolerate it any better than cows milk. I started sourcing donated breast milk for him, and that solved the problem immediately. Man, what a relief for the poor little guy!

But anyway, I only drink (and use) cows milk. It's never bothered me, so....

I don't have any particular reason to try almond milk or the others, just curious. Did someone say Hazelnut milk? I do like Hazelnut creamer in my coffee.

I used to like almond milk. It's tasty and can be the lowest calorie. But it doesn't agree with my stomach anymore.

I use oat, sometimes rice and soy for oatmeal or cooking. Usually get them at Trader Joe's. Best prices.

I like it and now prefer it to regular milk. And did you know that oat milk makes a decent coffee creamer and is a lot cheaper?
Califia Barista milk is really good. Tried the vanilla, didn't like it as much. A little too sweet. The regular is slightly sweet and it's my favorite.

I have experimented with both almond milk and coconut milk, and also tried making some oat milk. I definitely like homemade better than the store bought, which seems like white water to me and no flavor at all unless you buy the sweetened/flavored kind. When you make nut milk at home, it is rich and creamy.

Since I have been reading about the lectins in some foods, milk included, and other reasons that cows milk is just not as healthy for us as we are told in the milk commercials, I am once again starting to make my own nut milk. I am fine drinking it without straining it if I use it in a smoothie , but not when I put it in my coffee or chicory substitute.
I have tried the filter straining method, but it takes a long time; so I started looking at the nut milk machines on line. After watching videos and reading, it looks like you still have to strain the milk to get the pulp out unless you have a really expensive nut milk maker.

However, as I researched more, I found that you can use a juicer to make nut milk , and it separates the milk from the pulp (which you can use in recipes for things like almond bread).
I ordered a small juicer that was on the warehouse clearance (I ALWAYS check the amazon warehouse for clearance deals first), and it was about $16, which is way cheaper than even the really, really cheap nut milk machines.

So, it should be here next week, and i will try out making my nut milk using the new little juicer.

Nuts don't lactate, neither do oats. These products should cost way less than milk.
The government at one point stepped in and said they couldn't call it almond milk.... so now they call it almondmilk, or breeze. Grrrr. Mostly water, a few chemical nutrients and a high price.

Lactose intolerants can buy lactose free milk. The unfortunates who are allergic to the casein in milk, are out of luck. Yes, they can buy white water w/ some cheap chemicals and pretend, but they shouldn't have to pay the same high cost of milk.

Rant over. This is a pet peeve of mine. Thank you.

Now, HFL's recipe seems quite different. Last I looked, the almond scammers were using no more than 2 percent actual almond in their beverage. Maybe if they called it a beverage instead of milk and priced it accordingly, I wouldn't be so pissed off.

I totally agree with you, @RadishRose ! The cost is crazy expensive and it is like 2% actual almonds in the commercial almond milk, plus chemicals and thickeners, and often, sweeteners, to make it even drinkable. The creamers are even worse, I looked at those and they are $5-$6 for about 16 oz of creamer, and most of those are also loaded with sugar and/or flavorings.

This is a big part of why I wanted to make my own at home, where I can control what goes into it, and also keep the cost down to something reasonable.
Obviously, other than it is wet and white, there is no resemblance to actual milk from a cow, or any other animal. But the name seems to make sense and fits the product, since it is used like we use milk; so I have no problems with it being called plant milk or nut milk.

With this, I can use the leftover pulp for my almond bread; so nothing is wasted, and it actually tastes like something that I enjoy drinking.

I usually buy the 96 oz jug of unsweetened Almond Milk. I am a tiny bit lactose intolerant. Not full blown but if I start drinkin a bunch of regular milk we goin down. LOL! I love the taste of Almond Milk.

I also love that the stuff lasts forever! Plus I feel like it's healthier for me than regular milk. It seems a little creamier than regular milk too.

Today, my little juicer arrived and I made my first quart of plant milk with it !
I soaked the almonds overnight and took the skins off. They slip right off after you soak the almonds. Then I put the almonds and some shredded unsweetened coconut into the blender with a quart of water and blended it really well.
Next, I slowly poured the blended nut milk through the juicer and it strained out the milk and put the pulp out the other side. It works really great, and is easy to do and clean up the juicer afterwards. I am really happy with this, and definitely recommend it for anyone who wants to make their own nut milk. It comes out nice and creamy, and no bad additives like the commercial nut milk.

I've just switched last week from almond milk to Good Karma flaxmilk plus protein. Like the taste better and the added plant protein. I first bought it at Whole Foods in the refrigerated section but have since found it online in shelf stable boxes. Got the boxed milk in today and it tastes the same as the carton I bought refrigerated.

Flaxmilk | Good Karma Foods

Last edited:
I have been thinking about making flax milk. I watched several videos on youtube and it looks easy enough to make, and the pulp would be fine in other recipes, just like the almond/coconut pulp.
How does the taste compare with other plant milks, @AnnieA ?

I have been thinking about making flax milk. I watched several videos on youtube and it looks easy enough to make, and the pulp would be fine in other recipes, just like the almond/coconut pulp.
How does the taste compare with other plant milks, @AnnieA ?

I like the taste better than almond or coconut milk. I buy it unsweetened and use stevia and a pinch of sea salt when using it for cereal. It's fine as it is for cooking and smoothies.

Suggest watching this short 9:33 minute Kurzgesagt science video that provides understanding and balanced views. This person consumes much milk and dairy and obviously am not lactose intolerant. Likely because my ancestors are of Northern European ancestry where green grasses are most common along with pre-domesticated species of sheep, goats, and cattle that humans later farmed as a constant reserve source of nutrition. A prime example of how human bodies across the planet are still evolving slowly differently.

Milk. White Poison or Healthy Drink?

I did for a long time, I drink a lot of protein shakes and used to use almond milk or cashew milk.

Now I'm back on regular good ol' 2% for a few reasons...first, there's a lot of additives in almond milk that aren't in regular milk.

Secondly and more importantly, I can get a gallon of milk for the same price as a half gallon of almond milk.

Back