Alone for Christmas

Went to church at 8:00 am, came home changed clothes and went to the soup kitchen (not its real name) at 10:30 and got home at 7 last evening. I think someone said we served around 425 meals yesterday, which if true will be a new record. I didn't eat until I got home. I was busy cleaning up and missed out on the meals served to the helpers, so I brought mine home and heated it. I missed out on the dessert, but I am not a big sweets person anyway.

As it turned out Hubby and I were not able to visit his brother's family because Covid is working its way through the nursing home. Even though both of us are clear our sister in law was very worried for her daughter who is 4 months pregnant. Both mother and daughter had Covid earlier this year and both were very sick. They do not want to run any risk at this time so we bowed out and wished them a Happy Christmas.

We made the most of the day as best we could. I went early to the home and shared a simple breakfast with Hubby and then I drove him to our local church for Christmas Day service. Afterwards we went for a drive along the river close to our home to fill in some time until our daughter was due to arrive at our house for lunch. The three of us spent Christmas Day together and we were sufficient for the day.

Today, Jan 26, which is called Boxing Day in Australia and UK, was a full on family get together at our home and Hubby was again taken out of the nursing home to be part of the celebration. For me it was tiring but everyone pitched in and helped make the day a success. We ate, drank and made merry until it was time to take Hubby back to the home once again. He went happily and should sleep soundly tonight.

Why am I relating this in a thread titled Seniors Living Alone? A couple of reasons - in one way I am now living alone but I am not necessarily cut off from family and friends. @Been There has discovered the satisfaction of serving others and has not had any time to feel lonely at Christmas. I really applaud his spirit that is so synchronous with the Season.

Another reason is that this year we asked three people, who would have been alone on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, to come and join us and welcomed them into the family celebration. All accepted and enjoyed the day. I recommend not turning down offers of friendship and hospitality if you are lucky enough to receive them, and if you aren't being invited then work some way that you can invite someone who is also on their own to join you for a meal or for afternoon tea. It is the first step to forming links with people who are in the same situation as yourself. You don't have to wait for Christmas 2023 to make new connections.

I will be alone as I find being with my daughter & family stressful at this time of year. (1 hour drive to her home) Another neighbour has the same attitude and we will do something "low key" (afternoon tea with fancy petit fours?)
I'd rather be alone with my cat. I did the whole deal, months of shopping, days of wrapping, cleaning, cooking, stuffing stockings. They all showed up, went thru the stockings, ate the food, opened the gifts and left. It took about 4 hours. I'd rather skip that s##t.

Went to church at 8:00 am, came home changed clothes and went to the soup kitchen (not its real name) at 10:30 and got home at 7 last evening. I think someone said we served around 425 meals yesterday, which if true will be a new record. I didn't eat until I got home. I was busy cleaning up and missed out on the meals served to the helpers, so I brought mine home and heated it. I missed out on the dessert, but I am not a big sweets person anyway.
That sounds like a wonderful day!

As it turned out Hubby and I were not able to visit his brother's family because Covid is working its way through the nursing home. Even though both of us are clear our sister in law was very worried for her daughter who is 4 months pregnant. Both mother and daughter had Covid earlier this year and both were very sick. They do not want to run any risk at this time so we bowed out and wished them a Happy Christmas.

We made the most of the day as best we could. I went early to the home and shared a simple breakfast with Hubby and then I drove him to our local church for Christmas Day service. Afterwards we went for a drive along the river close to our home to fill in some time until our daughter was due to arrive at our house for lunch. The three of us spent Christmas Day together and we were sufficient for the day.

Today, Jan 26, which is called Boxing Day in Australia and UK, was a full on family get together at our home and Hubby was again taken out of the nursing home to be part of the celebration. For me it was tiring but everyone pitched in and helped make the day a success. We ate, drank and made merry until it was time to take Hubby back to the home once again. He went happily and should sleep soundly tonight.

Why am I relating this in a thread titled Seniors Living Alone? A couple of reasons - in one way I am now living alone but I am not necessarily cut off from family and friends. @Been There has discovered the satisfaction of serving others and has not had any time to feel lonely at Christmas. I really applaud his spirit that is so synchronous with the Season.

Another reason is that this year we asked three people, who would have been alone on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, to come and join us and welcomed them into the family celebration. All accepted and enjoyed the day. I recommend not turning down offers of friendship and hospitality if you are lucky enough to receive them, and if you aren't being invited then work some way that you can invite someone who is also on their own to join you for a meal or for afternoon tea. It is the first step to forming links with people who are in the same situation as yourself. You don't have to wait for Christmas 2023 to make new connections.
Thanks, Warrigal. I had a few people wanting to hand me change or even a dollar bill. I told them there was a jar on the serving counter and if they would like, they could put the money in the jar.

We all try to make the best of the days when things don’t turn out as planned. Glad you were able to have a nice day.

Went to church at 8:00 am, came home changed clothes and went to the soup kitchen (not its real name) at 10:30 and got home at 7 last evening. I think someone said we served around 425 meals yesterday, which if true will be a new record. I didn't eat until I got home. I was busy cleaning up and missed out on the meals served to the helpers, so I brought mine home and heated it. I missed out on the dessert, but I am not a big sweets person
What a wonderful way to spend Christmas.
I’m sure all appreciated your kindness and volunteering.
You are a giver.
BIG HUG for you. ❤️.

Back