Alright, Boomers, did we change the world?

Well, Boomers, what do you think? In the 60s & 70s, we were going to change the world. We were going to right wrongs, and get high while we did it. When you think of all those "high' hopes, did we do it? We may not have changed the world in ways we intended. Alright, Boomers, did we change the world?

Nope, not much. Each generation that thinks it's going to do so, fails to grasp the realities of generations coming up behind them that have little to no interest in what the older generation has done. There are exceptions, especially in the tech sector, but younger folks will improve on what's around now, as they come into their own. And so it goes........

Yes, absolutely we did. We normalized the right to question authority. In the history of humankind, that has never been done before. We globalized the youth culture, with the help of the Beatles, etc. There was a time when youth could travel anywhere and be recognized as being among friends. We sex.ual.ized our lives. We forced open the doors for opportunities for women. Black Americans broke Jim Crow for the first time since the Civil War.

That's only a small part of the wonderful things we began. Now it is up to the future generations to perfect, to make permanent, things such as stated above. There are more things, and I could go deeper, but that's all I've got for now.

I think social media such as facebook, twitter, instagram, etc. and cell phones took over with a vengeance. We did not have those things in the 60 and 70's...if we did, we may not be as wise as we are now..we probably would have depended on social media, etc. to guide us along the way. A lot of the older generation have so much knowledge where some of the younger generation have no clue. However, I had my daughter in 1992 when social media was just taking off. With the knowledge I gained through life, I was able to guide her along the way. She is a responsible young lady, live on her own with no kids. But I pray I live to see her with a family. Not sure if I would want to raise a child in this day and time. However, with my knowledge, I feel I would do good..they would know who has the upper hand...🤣 I am looking forward to meeting my daughter children. 😄

Nope, not much. Each generation that thinks it's going to do so, fails to grasp the realities of generations coming up behind them that have little to no interest in what the older generation has done. There are exceptions, especially in the tech sector, but younger folks will improve on what's around now, as they come into their own. And so it goes........
I soooooo agree.

I think that every generation makes some gains.

I do find it interesting and discouraging that many items appearing in the nightly news have been discussed with much bluster, handwringing, shock, outrage, and no real change during my lifetime. I wonder sometimes if some of these things that society views as crimes are part and parcel of being a human animal as opposed to an idealistic view of what people should be or could be.

I don't know if I've improved the world but so far I've been able to pull my own wagon and paddle my own canoe without causing any serious trouble or expense for the rest of the world.

Changes have definitely been made, more good than bad.

However, there had to have been more changes made, could have been made, but were not.

iu

No we didn't. If you've watched the news in the past 24 hours you'll understand how utterly we failed to comprehend the extent of the greed, corruption and essential inhumanity embraced by the establishment and the power they wield to enforce it.

We did bring a questionably immoral and unpopular war to an end in the U.S. (Vietnam) through constant protest and demonstration. But the end result was just death and defeat and nothing to be proud of.

But at least we tried and in life, that's all you can do.

"....We failed at both. We knew, way back then, the earth was being polluted and there were attempts to raise consciousness about it, but most people just ignored them.

I'm totally disappointed in my fellow boomers. They pushed up house sizes, pushed up automobile sizes, polluted and didn't care (and still don't), have overburdened the healthcare system by giving themselves Type II diabetes with poor health habits and obesity, and a whole host of things that could have been done to better the world, but didn't do much except buy bigger and more stuff.

I am older than a boomer. The question is did you change it for the better?
Striving for equality for women and minorities is better. I would question anyone who doesn't agree with that one sentence. I'd want to know what a challenger to that statement is gaining off the oppression of others. That was the tumult of our times, the highlight of our era. Sublime rock n roll, too, more than an afterthought.

Last edited:
Striving for equality for women and minorities is better. I would question anyone who doesn't agree with that one sentence. I'd want to know what a challenger to that statement is gaining off the oppression of others. That was the tumult of our times, the highlight of our era. Sublime rock n roll, too, more than an afterthought.
I would agree that we made a lot of progress on the equality front. Sadly, many are slipping backwards though, with aging Boomers at the head of the line.

I would agree that we made a lot of progress on the equality front. Sadly, many are slipping backwards though, with aging Boomers at the head of the line.
I know I've remained true to my beliefs, but what is more, true to myself. Unless I get dementia I can't see that changing so I can't speak for aging Boomers who let their truths die as they let their minds get old.

Women's right to choose their reproductive health has always been at the top of my list. When I look around and see weakness on that front by younger women, what am *I* to do? I can't live forever. Much to my dismay, I don't have the physical energy to be impacting society as I once did. So, I did what I could when I was able. I can still yammer with the best of them, but even that is sometimes tiresome. It's up to the young ones to fight for their causes. I'm retired. I'm passing the torch.

Back