Am I in the minority about this here?

I retired Sept. 27, 2008, due to medical problems and have missed it every hour I have been awake since then. I sometime dream of being back "on the job." I despised working the "graveyard shift" thankfully, I didn't work them very often, until I was assigned to the Drug Task Force for over 2 years and that was not so bad due to the excitement of the job. We didn't really work the night shift we would start at 6:00PM and work until around 4:00AM.

I stated earlier about my dislike for the night shift however, if my health conditions were not what they were when I retired, I would rest for a few minutes then go in on the "graveyard shift" at 7:00 PM tonight.
Were you in law enforcement?

Last edited:
I have listened to many stories and had personal experiences and not every option suits every clothe! - but unless you have a very stressful job I've become of the view that working in a happy profession and friendly environment is good for our health both physical and mental - I have spoken to several people who once retired were lonely and not happy - I think most of us do enjoy a meaningful pose in life and just sitting indoors looking four walls is not the way to go imo. even with plenty of money and retired travelling can get boring after a while - family are and should be important and contact regularly needed. being along can gnaw at the soul and often kills people imo

My Husband came from a generation where women stayed at home and the man worked even if he had to work 2 jobs to support the
family. I felt bad that he worked soo hard, so I worked from home.

My sister and I knew an accountant who needed more customers. We did so well that he gave our names to 5 other accountants. We wound up working for them for about a year.

Over the years my sister and I worked for numerous firms from home.

Last edited:
My Husband came from a generation where women stayed at home and the man worked even if he had to work 2 jobs to support the
family. I felt bad that he worked soo hard, so I worked from home.

My sister and I knew an accountant who needed more customers. We did so well that he gave our names to 5 other accountants. We wound up working for them for about a year.

Over the years my sister and I worked for numerous firms from home.
EXCELLENT and how it should be sorta! it reminded me of all those highly skilled women who were used during WWII and then had to go back to being housewives when their hubbies came back from war - strange imagining that now ?

Last edited:
Had a stressful business I built with my father, just the 2 of us for 30 years. He drove himself to the office everyday w lunch until he was 90.

The stress didn't affect him one bit, me on the other hand it was going to kill me if I didn't retire. Unfortunately I couldn't retire or move till he passed, which he did at 92. Working wasn't very much fun w/out him either.

Lots of people have easy jobs, wfh, and limited stress so why not keep working some until a better idea comes along.

We were produce brokers in NYC at Hunts Point Market, the largest market in the world. Our function was to represent produce shippers from the US, Canada, and Mexico to our customers (chain stores and wholesalers) in the NY metro region.

We specialized in what the trade calls "hardware" - potatoes, onions, carrots, and cabbage although we sold more than 300 individual products over the years such as vegetables, melons, lettuce, herbs, etc. We delivered the products by truck and rail. To give an idea of the scale we would typically ship 2 to 3 million pounds of Idaho potatoes a week by rail to NYC.

Back