Amazon.com major outage

hollydolly

SF VIP
May not seem like a big deal to have Amazon go down, but it's actually very surprising to learn just how many other websites Amazon controls and they went down today as well... For example my Video Ring Doorbell has stopped working... but that's just the tip of a large iceberg of pies where Amazon has it's fingers...so today all of these went down, worldwide, ( Including the Amazon website itself)

• Amazon
  • Prime Video
  • Amazon Music
  • Ring
  • Alexa
  • Kindle
  • InstaCart
  • Venmo
  • GoDaddy
  • Associated Press
  • Chime
  • Coinbase
  • CashApp
  • CapitalOne
  • Roku
  • IMDB
  • Zoom

Amazon and all of its services have crashed across the globe, knocking out other popular websites like Tinder and Venmo that rely on the company's cloud servers and affecting thousands of consumers.

The platform, Amazon Music and Prime video, Alexa, Ring and Amazon Web Services, which offers a series of services for online applications, all started experiencing problems at 10:40AM ET.

Amazon officials stated they have identified the 'root cause' of the problem and were working to fix it.

Amazon said the outage was likely due to issues related to application programming interface (API), which is a set of protocols for building and integrating application software.

'We are experiencing API and console issues in the US-EAST-1 Region,' Amazon said in a report on its service health dashboard.

The Amazon Web Services outage is far worse than the others because it provides cloud computing services to individuals, universities, governments and companies around the world.

The outage has impacted a wide variety of service providers worldwide, among them Chime, CashApp, CapitalOne, GoDaddy, the Associated Press, Instacart Kindle and Roku. Some users also reported issues with Disney+, but the app appeared to be back online just before 1pm in New York.

Amazon's website is down for at least 20,000 users in the US, but others say the app and ability to checkout carts is also not working properly - frustrating those attempting to buy Christmas gifts.

In the US the places where the worst of the problems are /were

51455485-10284771-Amazon_has_gone_down_across_the_globe_frustrating_thousands_of_u-a-26_1638896895358.jpg

...If you're affected , as we are in the London region.. and want to check the status of any of your outages.. go here... https://downdetector.com/

Re Your first sentence...my sentiments exactly! That morning I had just seen a notice in my Amazon account that the Prime subscription I've had free for a couple of years (courtesy of MetroPCS) ends Dec 30th. So when I got a message that there was an error trying to play a Prime video I thought they stopped it early. Then I thought maybe something was wrong with my Roku. But I was able to play a Netflix video immediately after. I knew Amazon was major but who KNEW that they'd had that much power over other apps and services?! Not good.

For what it's worth, yesterday I also had trouble with a Netflix movie. I tried to put it on "pause," and it refused to stop. The movie just kept going. I had to exit from Netflix to get it to stop.

Then I tried "pause" on other networks, and it worked perfectly. I put the movie back, and once again, no pausing. I gave up and just watched it through with no interruptions. Interesting movie, "The Guilty," with a bravo performance by Jake Glynnenhall.

Back