An Observation I Had.

Aunt Mavis

I have met the enemy and he is us. Pogo
While visiting my beloved mother’s headstone in the town I grew up in I couldn’t help but notice something. Everyone is equal at this place.

Remember man as you walk by, as you are ...

Medieval people were particularly morose, viewing death on a daily public basis. Can't find the image I was looking for, of a medieval tombstone with a scary skeleton saying something similar to this.

Yes, Death, the Equalizer.

I’m not trying to be disrespectful but, some dead people still want to be recognized as more special than others. This seems like a good time to be humble.

Remember man as you walk by, as you are ...

Medieval people were particularly morose, viewing death on a daily public basis. Can't find the image I was looking for, of a medieval tombstone with a scary skeleton saying something similar to this.

I've heard this... with an addition to the end that says: "To follow you I'm not content, Until I know which way you went."

Good observation there, @Aunt Mavis ... and so right.

I’m not trying to be disrespectful but, some dead people still want to be recognized as more special than others. This seems like a good time to be humble.

Indeed, memorials can be huge. I mean, entire buildings have be created to memorialize someone on their passing.

Still, I've certainly not had that kind of impact, or anything like it. Graves, memorials, they're for the living, not the dead. The dead don't care, they're not knowing. A memorial for someone like me would be a horribly arrogant thing.

Despite all the beliefs, actions, and the progress of healthcare - no-one has ever gotten off this planet alive. We're mortals. Even the rich and famous, even the smartest among us. We're all equal in the end.

I visited the big Moravian cemetery in Winston-Salem once. All headstones are small identical stone plaques; nobody has monuments or fancy headstones. Everyone has been buried in order of death, so there are no "family plots". There are separate sections for men, women, and children. Burials seem to be a big deal; there was a big one going on when I was there and there was even a band.

The concept is that all are equal, if not in life then at least in death.

Back