Aneeda72 Garden 2021

Until you mentioned it needs to be 50F at night, I never thought about it. It’s no wonder lots of plants don’t seem to do well after being purchased from the dealers (not all, just some). We are near freezing at night.

Yup, @Jules, it depends on the vegetable. Vegetables like cabbage and broccoli like cold in the beginning.

I like to try new plants so I bought some Aspabroc broccolini. I’ve never had broccolini but it sounds really good. I bought two plants but when I read about it, I need to buy two more plants. Seems to grow really easily. Also got a Baby Butternut plant which produces smaller squash.

Got most of the plants in yesterday. Pretty much finished the front yard. Just working on the back. I need a lot of mulch but the price has gone up, instead of 2.50 a bag, it’s 3.33 a bag. Waiting for it to go on sale again. I could move what I have on a side yard to the backyard.

A lot of work. Thinking about it. I am putting down weed block on the entire garden area. I didn’t do that last year and the week were horrific and impossible to get rid of. I think the weeds were one of the reasons my tomatoes did poorly. This year all my tomatoes will be in pots. Due to my June surgery everything that can be in a raised bed situation is.

Squash can be grown in a pot, but it does not do as well, doesn’t produce as well.

It was 44 last night. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Hopefully all the veggies have survived. This is a real experiment for me, I usually plant in the last week of May. The weather is crazy. 70s and higher during the day below 50 at night.

I cover all the veggies at night a d take the covers off once it’s 50 degrees outside. It’s a pain. But with surgery June 21, I might not have gotten everything done. Husband works as slow as possible. I had him even take 4 days of vacation with hopes of making a lot of progress. Progress is slow on his part.

Aneeda,, sure hope all goes well for you on back surgery.

Hubby had lumbar epidural shots in his back 5 years ago.
I think they helped.

We talked with the doctor about surgery,, hubby decided to not have any done.

He did buy an inversion table & uses that when his back hurts.
Says it helps.

Part of his problem is operating a chainsaw for many hours.
I think doing that kind of work is only way he feels useful /productive.

Guess his father pounded the work ethnic into him?

Aneeda,, sure hope all goes well for you on back surgery.

Hubby had lumbar epidural shots in his back 5 years ago.
I think they helped.

We talked with the doctor about surgery,, hubby decided to not have any done.

He did buy an inversion table & uses that when his back hurts.
Says it helps.

Part of his problem is operating a chainsaw for many hours.
I think doing that kind of work is only way he feels useful /productive.

Guess his father pounded the work ethnic into him?
Thanks I already had two back surgeries, the new surgery in June will be a hip replacement. I have a torn labrum, and arthritis.

I bought far too many tomatoes, lol. Usually we share them with the people he works with but now he works at home. Usually my daughter takes a bunch, but she moved to Texas last year. I am going to have far too many tomatoes if people in the neighborhood don’t take a bunch. 😂

Mulch, we need a lot of mulch to put around the garden. Plus we tried to grow grass in the back, even though we are allergic to grass, and it didn’t take. So mulch, lots of mulch is needed and now it’s 3.98 at Lowes and Home Depot both. ☹️

I googled. Black mulch at Walmart 2.22 a bag, red 1.97. We have red and black in the back so, red it is. And these are the 2 cubic feet bags, the bags at the other stores were the 1.5 cubic feet. So, more bang for the buck. Bought 12 bags, went back bought 14 bags.

Walmart couldn’t guarantee that it would be on sale today. But we need black for the front. Today back to Walmart for the black. 😍.

Was able to leave the veggies uncovered last night. It was over 60 all night and 94 during the day. 🤦🏻‍♀️. Tonight it’s supposed to be under 40 again at night and over 80 during the day. Tonight the plants will have to be covered. Spring in Utah is so difficult.

Ok, the food plants are veggies on sale 3 for 10.00 regular 5 dollars a piece or more, can’t remember but look at the clearance prices I got on annuals and some perennials. An over 58 dollar bowl of annuals 1.80 even if the plants die, try buying a nice pot for 1.80. The pansy bowls 14.95, .45 cents.

Attachments

• 03B1E28A-0D77-4714-ACFA-0B4F023DD619.jpeg
    03B1E28A-0D77-4714-ACFA-0B4F023DD619.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Working in the garden was cut short by a bad dust storm with heavy winds, gusts up to 40-50 mph with a steady 27 mph wind. Had to hustle to get everything put away that would blow away and get the tomatoes covered before the stems broke.

I wanted to get all those plants I bought in the ground but it was a no go, also impossible to get the mulch down 😂. It did get cooler so everything was covered again and we got a light rain last night. I’ll still have to water the tomatoes today since they are completely covered. Nights are supposed to be in the 40’s all next week. 🤦🏻‍♀️

The lovely new rose I bought for the front yard, an apricot orange color, joined two other new roses which had red white tags on them. They bloomed yesterday, they are apricot orange colored. Surprise! 😂

Mulch, we need a lot of mulch to put around the garden. Plus we tried to grow grass in the back, even though we are allergic to grass, and it didn’t take. So mulch, lots of mulch is needed and now it’s 3.98 at Lowes and Home Depot both. ☹️

I googled. Black mulch at Walmart 2.22 a bag, red 1.97. We have red and black in the back so, red it is. And these are the 2 cubic feet bags, the bags at the other stores were the 1.5 cubic feet. So, more bang for the buck. Bought 12 bags, went back bought 14 bags.

Walmart couldn’t guarantee that it would be on sale today. But we need black for the front. Today back to Walmart for the black. 😍.

Was able to leave the veggies uncovered last night. It was over 60 all night and 94 during the day. 🤦🏻‍♀️. Tonight it’s supposed to be under 40 again at night and over 80 during the day. Tonight the plants will have to be covered. Spring in Utah is so difficult.
What is the mulch made from that you are buying.

I have 18 tomatoes 😂🤦🏻‍♀️. I put some in pots and the rest in a tomato garden. Then I put chrysanthemums around the garden which is supposed to help protect against insects. Then he decided he wanted a tree. Found an apricot.

Couldn’t find a dwarf tree, so full size. Apricots don’t need to be sprayed but it doesn’t matter. He doesn’t eat them anyway. This meant I had to replant all the tomatoes as they were planted in the only place in the yard where you could put a tree.

I wanted a picnic area where the extended family could eat outside, he did not. My picnic area became the new tomato garden and I have moved all the plants there. Last night we did not cover them so we will see if they survive. He wanted to leave all the veggies uncovered. 😮. No way. Tomorrow I will see if he covered the other plants and if the tomatoes survive. I think the tomatoes will be ok. (I am having an eye issue so didn’t want to check last night.)

Anyway, still spending most of the day working on the garden. I am moving the strawberries into planters since they are not doing well in the ground and moving some flowers bulbs to where the tree is planted. Then it has to be mulched where the tree is planted.

At least the front is pretty much done. Still a little mulching to do.

I have 18 tomatoes 😂🤦🏻‍♀️. I put some in pots and the rest in a tomato garden. Then I put chrysanthemums around the garden which is supposed to help protect against insects. Then he decided he wanted a tree. Found an apricot.

Couldn’t find a dwarf tree, so full size. Apricots don’t need to be sprayed but it doesn’t matter. He doesn’t eat them anyway. This meant I had to replant all the tomatoes as they were planted in the only place in the yard where you could put a tree.

I wanted a picnic area where the extended family could eat outside, he did not. My picnic area became the new tomato garden and I have moved all the plants there. Last night we did not cover them so we will see if they survive. He wanted to leave all the veggies uncovered. 😮. No way. Tomorrow I will see if he covered the other plants and if the tomatoes survive. I think the tomatoes will be ok. (I am having an eye issue so didn’t want to check last night.)

Anyway, still spending most of the day working on the garden. I am moving the strawberries into planters since they are not doing well in the ground and moving some flowers bulbs to where the tree is planted. Then it has to be mulched where the tree is planted.

At least the front is pretty much done. Still a little mulching to do.
Sorry, Aneeda, your husband surely doesn't seem to be on the same page as you are in the yard department.
Seems to be making your efforts so much harder.

Speaking of strawberries. :) The moment I closed my eyes in bed the night after a long day of helping my mother pick strawberries from her huge patch of strawberries, my 'vision' was completely filled with strawberry leaves and strawberries. But at least they didn't haunt me in my dreams. :D

Back