Another BS health advice is bogus

ManjaroKDE

My oldest daughter whom lives in AZ full time, had been having health issues for the last 3 years. Blacking out, bowel problems, dumping (her explanation), she has gone to several clinics and doctors for exams. Yesterday she was told at a medical center that she is extremely low in sodium. After diagnosing her the doctor queried her about her water consumption. She's always been an advocate for drinking tons of water daily.

We've had many discussions about it, she tries to encourage me to drink more. I was told by a doctor years ago after a hospital stay there's a lot of myth about how much water you should consume. His statement was, 'I don't know who came up with the theory that you need 8 glasses daily, I tell my patients to monitor your vitals and only drink when you are thirsty, your body will tell you it's time.'

My daughter's doctor told her that the amount she consumes could lead to dangerous problems, you need some sodium to maintain health. Don't over indulge but getting too much water is unhealthy. She was flushing all the sodium out of her system, creating problems. They put her on an IV and prescribed salt tablets.

I remember when I was in basic training in Tex, we had to take 3 salt tablets daily (1 after each meal) or we would be in trouble both health wise and with our DI.

Last edited:
Even today whenever I get a suspected 'Charley Horse' in my legs I get a drink of water to hydrate myself, almost immediately is stops those cramps. This usually happens at night. I only drink 3 16 oz cups of coffee a day along with a half a glass of water to take my morning and evening medication, about 6-8 ozs each. Never do get thirsty during the day especially during the winter.

My oldest daughter whom lives in AZ full time, had been having health issues for the last 3 years. Blacking out, bowel problems, dumping (her explanation), she has gone to several clinics and doctors for exams. Yesterday she was told at a medical center that she is extremely low in sodium. After diagnosing her the doctor queried her about her water consumption. She's always been an advocate for drinking tons of water daily.

We've had many discussions about it, she tries to encourage me to drink more. I was told by a doctor years ago after a hospital stay there's a lot of myth about how much water you should consume. His statement was, 'I don't know who came up with the theory that you need 8 glasses daily, I tell my patients to monitor your vitals and only drink when you are thirsty, your body will tell you it's time.'

My daughter's doctor told her that the amount she consumes could lead to dangerous problems, you need some sodium to maintain health. Don't over indulge but getting too much water is unhealthy. She was flushing all the sodium out of her system, creating problems. They put her on an IV and prescribed salt tablets.

I remember when I was in basic training in Tex, we had to take 3 salt tablets daily (1 after each meal) or we would be in trouble both health wise and with our DI.
Your body tells you when you need other nutrients as well. I will get a sudden craving for something and I go and eat or drink that thing cuz I know my body is telling me the tank is low. I usually feel better after. I don't think I could drink that much water in one day.

When I was in Vietnam we were advised to take salt tablets plus(I think) plus some kind of pill to ward off malaria. I remember having cramps throughout my body, which I attributed to having missed taking the daily dose.
The other pill was probably hydroxychloroquine. My nephew has an open ended prescription he gets filled when he goes into a country with malaria. Yes, if,we dont have enough sodium in our bodies it will kill us. Many people have died working in hot conditions and couldn't replenish their bodies in time for organ damage to take over and shock then death. So it is important to keep adequate levels up. There was a woman that was in a competition on drinkiing water I believe that was the fluid. Anyway she died. You may google this. I believe it was in,the last 20 years. Im sure others have knowledge as well. But google the depletion and effects.

Another take: My mother had strange & nonsensical theories about health issues & she'd run away with them.
She always said, "Water causes you to gain weight." Consequently, she was often dehydrated. In her later years, I had to take her to the ER.
She would eat 10 or more of those chocolate "Ex Lax" things per day. "Yeah....also to lose weight." Diarrhea = weight loss.........
Another one: "Grapefruit burns fat." So, when I was a kid, there were always 20 or more of them in the kitchen.

And, she posted a "Mayo Diet" on the fridge, that was basically a high protein, low carb fad diet of the 60's. Breakfast was a grapefruit, eggs, & black coffee. And nothing but meat & cheese the rest of the day. Supposedly the weight loss was due to a "Chemical Reaction." I think it was due to "Indigestion." The diet came with a warning that should have been a hint: "This diet is safe for 2 weeks, but no longer."
She always put my brother on that diet & praised it to high heaven when he lost weight. But she was very quiet when he'd always gain it back, plus more.

Last edited:
My sister told me that my niece, her daughter was having a problem probably because she drinks too much water. But I forgot what the problem was. I don't think it was anything obvious like urinating too much. I've seen a theory that the color of your urine will give a clue to whether or not you're drinking enough water/fluids. Here's an article complete with "color chart".
https://globalhealing.com/natural-health/urine-color/#:~:text=A pale straw or light honey color is,this pale yellow color. Dark Yellow or Amber
I hope that what the doctor prescribed helps her and that her health issue will be resolved.

Last edited:

Back