Another Covid Casualty?...the stock market??

I was in the local big city yesterday and noticed that all the white people are still driving around and shopping and the immigrants from overseas are working. There is something very wrong with this country. The amount of ATVs, pontoon boats, regular boats and other "toys for boys" sold in the last year is totally unbelievable. I'm not surprised that people are refusing to work. The government is handling out free money like there is no tomorrow. I guess that the present population have never heard of the word, "INTEREST." They really believe that the free money is free; sort of like the clicking toy in Corn Flake boxes when I was a little kid.

With the new government program that gives a family with children $250 a month child ages 7-17 and $300 a month for each child ages under 7 why would a women go back to work, part time or full time and pay for child care if her husband is working?
From my personal experience and perspective, getting a monthly amount of money and even a big tax credit doesn't affect the decision whether or not to work. I used to get a monthly amount when doing foster care, and when I adopted I was happily surprised to get a $10,000 tax credit, but I still had mortgage payment, car payment, daycare was $1000 a month!, all the expenses of living and kid expenses, trust me it never entered my mind to quit work and try to live on $300 a month!

I felt a twinge of guilt about getting a $10k tax credit, but the social worker assured me the government was getting a tremendous bargain because that way they saved all the money they would have spent raising the child.

From my personal experience and perspective, getting a monthly amount of money and even a big tax credit doesn't affect the decision whether or not to work. I used to get a monthly amount when doing foster care, and when I adopted I was happily surprised to get a $10,000 tax credit, but I still had mortgage payment, car payment, daycare was $1000 a month!, all the expenses of living and kid expenses, trust me it never entered my mind to quit work and try to live on $300 a month!

I felt a twinge of guilt about getting a $10k tax credit, but the social worker assured me the government was getting a tremendous bargain because that way they saved all the money they would have spent raising the child.

Live on $300 a month?

Having been in retail all my life I see many women like part time work to supplement what their husband makes. Many times they do that to save money for a trip, buy in items hor their home and in many cases to put money aside for their childrens college.

FYI Its 250 a month for each child age 7 - 17 and $350? for children under 7. With two children do the math. And they do not have to pay for babby sitting.

Tell me why they would go back to work?

FYI Its 250 a month for each child age 7 - 17 and $350? for children under 7. With two children do the math. And they do not have to pay for babby sitting.
Tell me why they would go back to work?

Our weather has turned quite hot, and I'm caught up on my chores, so today, we decided to go shopping. There is a big "outlet mall" about an hour away, and we stopped there for a few minutes. Over half the stores are empty and shut down, and there are Help Wanted signs posted all over the area...there wasn't anything open that sold stuff we can use. Then we went to several stores that are still open....Kohl's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Lowe's, Home Depot, Marshalls, etc.,etc. Every one of them have help wanted signs, and the number of people working in these stores is minimal, at best.

I suppose that if a person can make as much, or more, from the government, as they would working, there is no incentive to go to work. However, all these "handouts" are going to come with a price, eventually.

I agree with your perspective about getting money handed out each month. Pilot programs for guaranteed income or universal basic income (UBI) are happening in several cities across the U.S. giving people who were randomly chosen with incomes below a certain amount, $500 a month for one to two years. Much of the money is donated by private entities. This USA article mentions some of it's benefits and that people still want to work. Article continues past many ads or blank spaces where ads should be: @Packerjohn @Don M.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ed-more-cities-test-monthly-check/6890858002/

Back