Another Stupid California Cancer Warning

fmdog44

I bought a key ring with a plastic tag with a paper insert to write my phone number on if lost. The vendor is luckyline.com. On the little package it came in is the following: "WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals such as phthalates which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and/or birth defects or reproductive harm." I have complained before here about California lawmakers declaring the sky is falling and this is just further proof the lawmakers there are nuts.

The intent was good, but it was poorly written. It needs to be revised. Also, some businesses are overly goosey about being sued. One airbrush manufacturer I know of put that label on an airbrush package, because it is made of brass and brass contains lead which is on the list. But, other makers just ignore it. Nobody is going to suck on an airbrush.

But, that's the trouble with this law. It is put on so many items that people just ignore it, even when they shouldn't.

Don

If those chemicals are that toxic, they shouldn't be allowed to be used at all. Okay, I can see a warning about something like nickel plating that many people are allergic to - me included, but anything that may be known to cause cancer, just shouldn't be used.

The manufacturers of almost everything are putting warning labels on their products, so as to try to protect themselves from the increasing numbers of frivolous lawsuits. If there is the slightest chance that their product could be related to some future illness or problem, you can bet that there is some ambulance chasing lawyer who will try to get rich by launching a lawsuit. After all, the U.S. has twice as many lawyers, per capita, than any other nation....and those lawyers have to find ways to support their bloated numbers.

I bought a key ring with a plastic tag with a paper insert to write my phone number on if lost. The vendor is luckyline.com. On the little package it came in is the following: "WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals such as phthalates which are know to the State of California to cause cancer and/or birth defects or reproductive harm." I have complained before here about California lawmakers declaring the sky is falling and this is just further proof the lawmakers there are nuts.
Sounds like just an opportunity to take a pot shot at anything "Californian". You should be proud that your home state is not so concerned about the health of it's citizens.

I'm reminded every time I fill my car that I'm giving myself cancer.
An electric car probably has similar warnings about radiation or something.

My education is sorely inadequate. I have no idea what "phthalates" are, nor even how to pronounce it. So, I googled it. They are salts or esters of phthalic acid. Well, that settles that. I'm not sure if they go with others to make a great salad or what? It only goes to show us that we live in a democracy. I think it's no co-incidence that the "cracy" in democracy is real close to the word, "crazy". California is a place where democrazy is rampant. Californians enact laws, which may be "cracy" or "crazy". Some are good, some are not.

Last edited:

Back