Antique Schoolbooks

Things have no meaning to me. I like things, i have things, I use things. But if you walked into my house and said OMGosh I so want that, I would give it to you and I have done this. People think, when they do this, they have taken advantage of me, they haven’t.

Things have no meaning.

I realize that other people value their things. I only value things in regards to if you want and I have it, and I give it to you, then I have to buy another lamp, and sometimes I have to wait a while before I have the money. But that’s ok, it’s just a lamp, it’s just money. 😂. My husband hates this attitude. I suppose he should.

I used to keep things for sentimental reasons but when I sold my house 10 1/2 years ago, I realized how much stuff I was dragging around and it really opened my eyes. I sold/gave away probably 95% of the stuff and never looked back. It was liberating! I have an absolute horror about accumulating things again.

Now I'm cleaning out my late mother's house (she died last week at 95) and I'm ripping my hair out about what to do with all that stuff...….stuff she treasured but nobody in the family (Including me) wants. I feel disloyal for getting rid of it, but...…

Today, I shipped "mementos" off to various friends and relatives. Of course, I didn't tell them first in case they told me not to send them. I'm not THAT stupid. They're getting mementos whether they like it or not, dammit. What they do with the stuff after that is off my conscience, thank-you-very-much.

Remember the old Dick and Jane books we used in the first grade? A few years ago, I came across the Catholic school version of the books. Still the same old Dick and Jane and Spot and Fluffy (?) going and jumping and playing and whatever, but this time there were nuns watching over them and they did a fair amount of praying when they weren't playing and they wore uniforms to school.

I used to keep things for sentimental reasons but when I sold my house 10 1/2 years ago, I realized how much stuff I was dragging around and it really opened my eyes. I sold/gave away probably 95% of the stuff and never looked back. It was liberating! I have an absolute horror about accumulating things again.

Now I'm cleaning out my late mother's house (she died last week at 95) and I'm ripping my hair out about what to do with all that stuff...….stuff she treasured but nobody in the family (Including me) wants. I feel disloyal for getting rid of it, but...…

Today, I shipped "mementos" off to various friends and relatives. Of course, I didn't tell them first in case they told me not to send them. I'm not THAT stupid. They're getting mementos whether they like it or not, dammit. What they do with the stuff after that is off my conscience, thank-you-very-much.
Yup, I have one “treasure left”, the rest have found new homes with the few relatives I have. I wanted my granddaughter to have my childhood Bible as in I don’t care that you do not want it-take it.! Poor thing. It’s hard to throw a Bible away. 😂

How accurate is the history in general?
One is titled 'Our New Nation' the second is titled 'Exploring the Old World' (I think). The third is a sixth grade history book from the same era which I bought. I don't remember it's title. I want to look at them again before I answer your question. I do remember the one I bought was quite racist, calling Native Americans ugly, etc. The two from my own school were pretty accurate as I recall. I'll take a look!

I collect old textbooks and old books about education. I have 3 old education history books and this is a wonderful way to study history.

My prized possession is a copy of the 1917 National Education Association Conference. It is quite a large book filled with all the speeches made at the convention. We were mobilizing for war at the time and I was amazed by how important the schools were to our war effort.

I also have the Democracy Series printed for schools and mobilizing us for the second world war. Nothing was said about going to war but a lot was said about how Germany is not like the US.

I got kind of caught up in buying books written around the time of the world wars. They have given me a perspective that is different from how most people see things. I need to scan the books and put them on the web but I don't know the best way to that.

How accurate is the history in general?
My favorite old grade school history book is not technologically correct. Back in the day, we used the Conceptual Method of education and technological correctness was not that important. Sometimes the beginning of a textbook would tell the teacher to not fuss too much about facts and focus on a child's grasp of concepts.

Some old history texts are horribly boring! It would have been cruel and inhuman punishment to make a child study them. No effort was made to make the books appealing to a child.

Back