Any birders out there?

this-but-indeed-it-will-be-remembered-as-one-of-the-classic-shots-in-the-history-of-photography
W
WOW! What a photo caught in the moment!

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Song_Sparrow/id
This website is from Cornell University and it's all about birds. There were too many posts in this thread to see if it had been posted previously but here it is. I just happened to have the sparrow page saved, but you can find others plus much info on birding in general. I particularly like being able to hear the song of the bird you are interested in.

Saw the first slate colored juncos of the season this morning, scuffling around in the patches of landscaping gravels at my apt complex.. So winter is really here. They have come back the 3 yrs I’ve lived here, so they must be getting enough to make it worth their while.
Apt mgt prefers we don’t put up feeders so as not to attract the pigeons that “case the joint” every so often.

Saw the first slate colored juncos of the season this morning, scuffling around in the patches of landscaping gravels at my apt complex.. So winter is really here. They have come back the 3 yrs I’ve lived here, so they must be getting enough to make it worth their while.
Apt mgt prefers we don’t put up feeders so as not to attract the pigeons that “case the joint” every so often.
So, so pretty Juncos are.

Thought you might enjoy this sweet little article, Geezerette.

I sure did.

https://toughlittlebirds.com/2018/08/13/junco-neighbors/

Juncos are ground feeders. You don't need a hanging feeder. Sprinkle some of those mixed seeds on the ground where you have seen them, probably near some cover I assume.

I saw a squirrel eating some of the corn in the birdseed. Don't usually see any of them until the winter/cold weather hits here in the Texas panhandle. Other than that, it is just the usual doves, sparrows and grackles, and cowbirds.

I've kept a sunflower feeder in the yard for about 15 years plus a suet feeder in winter and a hummingbird feeder in the summer.Of all the birds that show up here I always look forward to seeing the Rose Breasted Grosbeaks in the spring.I've kept records of their arrival dates and they have always shown up within one or two days either side of May 1st.Considering they migrate from Cuba or Central America ,1400 to 2000 miles away ,to get here in the north ,that has always amazed me.

I've kept a sunflower feeder in the yard for about 15 years plus a suet feeder in winter and a hummingbird feeder in the summer.Of all the birds that show up here I always look forward to seeing the Rose Breasted Grosbeaks in the spring.I've kept records of their arrival dates and they have always shown up within one or two days either side of May 1st.Considering they migrate from Cuba or Central America ,1400 to 2000 miles away ,to get here in the north ,that has always amazed me.
Even more incredible is older male Dark-Eyed Juncos (more often than not) return to their same territory/breeding grounds year after year. Talk about having an unbelievable built-in navigation system!

We have both resident and seasonal Dark-Eyed Juncos.

As with all of our birds, I spoil them absolutely rotten. They're my little babies.

It snowed early morning and during a good part of the day. I went out and fed the birds anyway, and the squirrel. The cowbirds, grackles, ringnecked doves, finches, and sparrows all liked it in spite of the snow coming down. Bird bath was piled up with snow.

I so looked forward to once again being able to feed the birds this winter. Bought 3 feeders and 3 poles and different foods for each.

Not one bird visits. The reason is the crows drive them off, seems like the crows leave in summer but come into the park in winter. You do not even see small birds in the trees.

Back