Any birders out there?

@fancicoffee13
A few of the small hummingbird feeders, separately, are actually better than one large feeder, for them, if you find that you want any more than one small hummer feeder.

They can sometimes be territorial and not share their feeder too well, with other hummers, so the larger ones with more than 3 feeding ports, are not worth the extra money, in most cases.:cool::love:
How about multiple bird feeders?

They like a one to four ratio of white sugar, to the total water.....
Or was it 1 to 3.... I think either is fine, those are so similar.
I would look up any details, because right now, I am trying to remember exactly how to measure and prepare it...:rolleyes::unsure::giggle::giggle::geek:

It is very easy, though! :LOL: I remember that it is, for sure!:ROFLMAO:

It is just my memory that isn't easy. :rolleyes:o_O
I think I boiled the water, and then add the sugar, and let it cool.....that is all.
The feeders hold a small volume, but you can put whatever does not fit, into a jar in frig, for a few days, and then use the leftover, directly.
It doesn't even need to be reheated.

The hummingbirds do not need any red or any color in the sweet water!!!
And some of those colorings are bad for the birds! So just leave it as is; it's the healthiest for them, and they like it as well as nectar from flowers!

If the weather is very hot, then it is healthiest for them, for you to change the liquid every 3 days, so it doesn't spoil.
No preservatives in it, are best! (So I did not buy the ready-mix either)

Btw, the feeders themselves, always have red, or red and yellow, on them, which helps attract the birds. The liquid does not need to be the color, and shouldn't be.:geek::):cool:
Thank you for the recipe.

How about multiple bird feeders?
Yes, it would help to attract them to your spot, if you get multiple small ones, and put them near each other, but not extremely close.
That would mimic, their natural ways of feeding at wildflowers! They love to go from one to the other, and back. :love:

They choose feeding areas in Spring and early Summer, usually when it is still rather chilly, so there's no need to wait till it is very hot, to start getting the feeders. (Of course, not quite yet!❄️🐧:ROFLMAO:)

Hummingbirds migrate extremely huge, amazing distances!

So they stop and find places to snack along the way, as well as they have a wide area, where they spend the summer, so there is a good chance to attract some.

Last edited:
The hummingbirds do not need any red or any color in the sweet water!!!
And some of those colorings are bad for the birds! So just leave it as is; it's the healthiest for them, and they like it as well as nectar from flowers!

If the weather is very hot, then it is healthiest for them, for you to change the liquid every 3 days, so it doesn't spoil.
No preservatives in it, are best! (So I did not buy the ready-mix either)

Btw, the feeders themselves, always have red, or red and yellow, on them, which helps attract the birds. The liquid does not need to be the color, and shouldn't be.:geek::):cool:
Better to make your own, plus it's simple enough to do it.
Healthier for them!
The store ones usually have artificial color and/or preservatives.
Not needed, and probably harmful to them.

Yes, it would help to attract them to your spot, if you get multiple small ones, and put them near each other, but not extremely close.
That would mimic, their natural ways of feeding at wildflowers! They love to go from one to the other, and back. :love:

They choose feeding areas in Spring and early Summer, usually when it is still rather chilly, so there's no need to wait till it is very hot, to start getting the feeders. (Of course, not quite yet!❄️🐧:ROFLMAO:)
Ok! Wonderful! Because, I found some really colorful and beautiful feeders! Might wait until the freezes are gone though.

Ok! Wonderful! Because, I found some really colorful and beautiful feeders! Might wait until the freezes are gone though.
The colors of the feeders are the best way to attract them, just like a flower garden would!

Definitely no good reason for the colored store liquid.
They love the sweetened clean water! And they need the energy for the way they fly! ❤️💛
(Their favorite colors are red and yellow, though they do go to other colors as well! I have watched them do it, with both feeders and with actual flowers of many colors.🥰)

I’ve given up my birding, my bird feeding, and my bird watching. I threw out on the lawn for a while but the squirrels ate most of the seed. That became a losing battle.

@Geezer Garage
I wonder which species of wild birds, come to your feeder(s)?
And which type of feeders do you have?

Northeast USA, there are long winters here, too, like out West as you are...but would be some different wild birds, of course.

We get cardinals, various types of finches, chickadees, titmouse, baltimore orioles, some Eastern Bluebirds....flickers, hawks and others.....

My feeder runs the length of my kitchen window, about a foot deep x 4' long. Nothing fancy, just a piece of plywood with a pine boarder around three sides that's been there for almost 40yrs now. This time of year I have Chickadee's, scrub Jays, Stellar Jays, one Flicker, the occasional Magpie, and about a week ago several Lasuli buntings arrived and have joined the gang on the feeder. Will try to get some pics, but I really need to clean that window first.

@Geezer Garage
I wonder which species of wild birds, come to your feeder(s)?
And which type of feeders do you have?

Northeast USA, there are long winters here, too, like out West as you are...but would be some different wild birds, of course.

We get cardinals, various types of finches, chickadees, titmouse, baltimore orioles, some Eastern Bluebirds....flickers, hawks and others.....

Seems we have a lot of grackles & cow birds at our feeder, this Spring.

A male cardinal & his mate are regulars.

As of now there has been no band on feeding the wild birds.
Long piece in news paper as to why we shouldn't feed the birds,,let them feed on natural plants & seeds.
What I have been seeing, is that it's okay to continue with feeders you already have out, but not to add new ones, due to the bird flu prevalence.
And in addition, if you have any chickens, or backyard or farm birds or ducks, to keep them very separate from wild ones that could come by, so likely one should not have any wild bird feeders, in that case, to protect your own.

We have trees, a bird bath, and feeders, but what they really love at our house are the transom window above our front door and the two transoms above the front windows under the porch roof. Ideal nesting places!

We usually have a Robin (Miss Priss) nesting there, but this year Mrs. Grackle got here first. Her clutch should be due to hatch any day now. It's all fun, particularly when they fledge and come and sit in this window next to my computer. I'm one of their first sights and boy do they look shocked!

I so looked forward to once again being able to feed the birds this winter. Bought 3 feeders and 3 poles and different foods for each.

Not one bird visits. The reason is the crows drive them off, seems like the crows leave in summer but come into the park in winter. You do not even see small birds in the trees.

I so looked forward to once again being able to feed the birds this winter. Bought 3 feeders and 3 poles and different foods for each.

Not one bird visits. The reason is the crows drive them off, seems like the crows leave in summer but come into the park in winter. You do not even see small birds in the trees.
We had the same problem last year, the crows showed up and the songbirds disappeared. My wife got a pair of dead crow decoys and hung them upside down near the bird feeder. It worked. Crows are super smart and if they see a "dead" crow they will stay far away.
This might help: https://www.gardenandpatiohomeguide.com/the-total-guide-to-dead-crow-decoys/
I think she did have to move the decoys around every few days though. Now we just keep them in the garage in case the crows make a reappearance. "Heckle and Jeckle" as I call them will be working Halloween duty very soon hanging from the porch.

Back