Any Bread Machine Users?

J-Kat

Back in the day (1990's) when bread machines were all the rage, I bought one and used it at least once a week or more for several years. But, other things came along and it ended up in the cabinet out of sight and out of mind. I still used it but not near as much. Now this virus has confined me to home and I started thinking about how good some homemade bread would be. Tried to buy bread flour and yeast but there was none to be had in the stores or online. Finally found both and got out the bread machine thinking about how wonderful that warm loaf of bread was going to smell/taste. Put in all the ingredients and started the machine. It turns on and tries to go through its process but it will not mix the ingredients. I think the shaft is frozen or the belt is broken. Well, the thing is 20 + years old and they don't make replacement parts anymore so I guess it's time for a new one. Of course no one online or in stores has the kind I want in stock. Anyone still using their bread machines?

Amazon finally got the bread machine I was wanting in stock and at a decent price so I now have a brand new Zojirushi bread machine. Found some King Arthur bread flour at Wal-Mart. Searched high and low for instant yeast in local stores for a couple of weeks and Aldi came through for me. I had a slice of my favorite Amish bread, warm from the "machine", for breakfast this morning. Yummmy.

Used one a great deal, several years ago, spoiled ourselves......but.....the bread was so good.....parts of our bodies were getting bigger.
Now you've got me thinking of one again, there are so many different types of flour now, bread will be better, now a days.
Where......did ......i ......put ......my......machine.

As to growing larger due to bread consumption, wasn't there a thread here about elasticized waistbands? :ROFLMAO:

Edited: I say this, having recently experienced the growing larger due to eating bread. And we too have a Zojirushi bread machine. <sigh>

English muffin bread
Makes 2 loaves
Ingredients:

Cornmeal

5 cups (27 1/2 ounces) bread flour
4 1/2 teaspoons instant or rapid-rise yeast 1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups whole milk, heated to 120 degrees

Instructions

1. Grease two 8½ by 4½-inch loaf pans and dust with cornmeal. Combine flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and baking soda in large bowl. Stir in hot milk until combined, about 1 minute. Cover dough with greased plastic wrap and let rise in warm place for 30 minutes, or until dough is bubbly and has doubled.

2. Stir dough and divide between prepared loaf pans, pushing into corners with greased rubber spatula. (Pans should be about two-thirds full.) Cover pans with greased plastic and let dough rise in warm place until it reaches edge of pans, about 30 minutes. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees.

3. Discard plastic and transfer pans to oven. Bake until bread is well browned and registers 200 degrees, about 30 minutes, rotating and switching pans halfway through baking. Turn bread out onto wire rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour. Slice, toast, and serve.

@StarSong, these no-knead doughs are very sticky.
Good to know, thanks. I admit to using my Kitchen Aid stand mixer on its slowest speed for virtually all kneading. I'm not a fan of working sticky doughs. Great tip about greasing the rubber spatula, too! I wouldn't have thought of that.

Biscotti is a very sticky cookie dough. When shaping it into logs, I keep a bowl of water nearby and dip my hands periodically to keep the dough from sticking.

When baking, I find this little gizmo worth its weight in gold.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QMKJ646/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=AGNNHOEIY48OX&psc=1

Good to know, thanks. I admit to using my Kitchen Aid stand mixer on its slowest speed for virtually all kneading. I'm not a fan of working sticky doughs. Great tip about greasing the rubber spatula, too! I wouldn't have thought of that.

Biscotti is a very sticky cookie dough. When shaping it into logs, I keep a bowl of water nearby and dip my hands periodically to keep the dough from sticking.

When baking, I find this little gizmo worth its weight in gold.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QMKJ646/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=AGNNHOEIY48OX&psc=1
Oh yes, I have seen people using them. Looks great for sticky doughs. I don't have a stand mixer so the no-kneads are good for me. If and when I ever make any, lol. I have a metal bench scraper from long ago....handy for shoveling chopped veg.

I love bread so much, I'm in danger of demolishing a loaf by myself.

Oh yes, I have seen people using them. Looks great for sticky doughs. I don't have a stand mixer so the no-kneads are good for me. If and when I ever make any, lol. I have a metal bench scraper from long ago....handy for shoveling chopped veg.

I love bread so much, I'm in danger of demolishing a loaf by myself.
Same here. My problem with bread is avoiding eating too much of it.

Back