Any suggestions to help with chronic inability to sleep?

Thanks. As I've mentioned several times in this thread, concentrated tart cherry juice works for me. The specific brand is mentioned earlier in the thread on this page.
Good for you that you do have something that works, and yes you did mention that in quite detailed posts t help others get similar results. You also mentioned earlier in the thread that melatonin didn't work for you, and then again in response to my post. So we are both repeating ourselves, but no harm done since I am sure others will come back to the thread from time to time since it contains important information.

Tony

Last edited:
Good for you that you do have something that works, and yes you did mention that in quite detailed posts t help others get similar results. You also mentioned earlier in the thread that melatonin didn't work for you, and then again in response to my post. So we are both repeating ourselves, but no harm done since I am sure others will come back to the thread from time to time since it contains important information.

Tony
I only repeated myself because you said that you hoped I find something that works. One problem with long threads is that people don't go back an read what's already there.

I only repeated myself because you said that you hoped I find something that works. One problem with long threads is that people don't go back an read what's already there.
No, I posted to the end of the thread that what had been suggested earlier in the thread regarding one person's successful use of melatonin and niacin worked also for me. How o you think I found that post without looking back to much earlier in the thread? You quoted and followed up that post saying that these didn't do "squat" for you, which you had already stated earlier in the thread. I then followed up saying I hoped you found something that works for you and then you followed up saying that you had mentioned several times that you had done so.

I was wrong in that I didn't go back and read all of your discussion about tart cherry juice, but the flow of the last few exchanges you and I had do follow as I described here. I don't see what the problem is, but will leave you to it. My intention was simply to let anyone reading this thread know that two folks in it did find success with the melatonin and niacin combination. I had no intention of dragging this out.

Tony

Last edited:
No, I posted to the end of the thread that what had been suggested earlier in the thread regarding one person's successful use of melatonin and niacin worked also for me. How o you think I found that post without looking back to much earlier in the thread? You quoted and followed up that post saying that these didn't do "squat" for you, which you had already stated earlier in the thread. I then followed up saying I hoped you found something that works for you and then you followed up saying that you had mentioned several times that you had done so.

I was wrong in that I didn't go back and read all of your discussion about tart cherry juice, but the flow of the last few exchanges you and I had do follow as I described here. I don't see what the problem is, but will leave you to it. My intention was simply to let anyone reading this thread know that two folks in it did find success with the melatonin and niacin combination. I had no intention of dragging this out.

Tony
There is no problem.

Wow, I find it fascinating that tart cherry juice will help you sleep. I occasionally drink tart cherry juice for inflammation relief because my Dr. recommended I try it. Apparently there are several medical studies that prove it helps with that.

I use R.W. Knudsen Organic Just Tart Cherry Juice, among other brands. I make sure it is pure juice. I am really interested to try it for help with sleep since I have that problem also. I will have to get into the habit of using it every night.

Here's something else I find helps me sleep: Yoga poses to help you sleep. Anyone can do these. The purpose is mainly to help you clear your mind by breathing with the poses. Worth a shot.

Wow, I find it fascinating that tart cherry juice will help you sleep. I occasionally drink tart cherry juice for inflammation relief because my Dr. recommended I try it. Apparently there are several medical studies that prove it helps with that.

I use R.W. Knudsen Organic Just Tart Cherry Juice, among other brands. I make sure it is pure juice. I am really interested to try it for help with sleep since I have that problem also. I will have to get into the habit of using it every night.

Here's something else I find helps me sleep: Yoga poses to help you sleep. Anyone can do these. The purpose is mainly to help you clear your mind by breathing with the poses. Worth a shot.
Yoga is wonderful for all kinds of things.

Marie, I’ve been thinking about trying it. I can usually get to sleep ok but have been more sensitive to noises recently & and find it hard to get back to sleep if I wake, or get up to BR .I’d appreciate hearing any first hand info/experience anyone has had with it. Thanks?

It‘s not the getting to sleep, it’s staying asleep. I’ll be awake for several hours. I don’t let myself sleep past 8:30. I have no answer. Depending what I have to do in the morning affects my approach. What works one night, might not on another. Travel tabs, CBD, valerian. I used to read. Now I’ll listen to podcasts.

Thanks. What I got from the doctor did not help, plus it made me feel hung over.

By any chance did Dr. Welby prescribe Trazodone? I had that once and fell right off but couldn't function for hours the next day. Ambien is my drug of choice nowadays but there have been documented cases of people sleepwalking and other issues that required law enforcement intervention. When I hogged and had to do a quick turnaround I'd sleep on the floor of of one of the sidelined engines because of the mesmerizing hum of the powerplant. This was before Gevo where they now power down to save fuel.

trazodone-compared-to-ambien-as-a-sleeping-pill.jpg

Now I have nothing against any kind of imbibing in alcoholic drink or illegal dope whether it has been decriminalized or not but if you drive don't forget the law still applies if you are pulled over by the police and fail the sobriety test you will be arrested and charged with driving under the influence. Prescription medicine is not a defense. GUILTY!!!!!! Believe me, I know.

BTW: My final solution was realizing that every time I stayed overnight at the Hard Rock it was their very firm mattresses that put me out. I hope this helped.

I think sleeping schedules are in our DNA. I have to fight going from a normal sleep time and wake up time to staying awake until 7AM and waking up at 10 or 11 then taking periodic naps. While I prefer waking at sunrise I always feel more at home staying up all night. Even as a kid I used to love staying awake late at night and listening to night talk radio. The bad thing health wise I I never sleep more then three or four hours when I stay up all ight and that is not good.

By any chance did Dr. Welby prescribe Trazodone?

Now I have nothing against any kind of imbibing in alcoholic drink or illegal dope whether it has been decriminalized or not but if you drive don't forget the law still applies if you are pulled over by the police and fail the sobriety test you will be arrested and charged with driving under the influence. Prescription medicine is not a defense. GUILTY!!!!!! Believe me, I know.

BTW: My final solution was realizing that every time I stayed overnight at the Hard Rock it was their very firm mattresses that put me out. I hope this helped.
No, it was not Trazodone. I can't remember what it was. It was years ago. I don't do prescription drugs unless I have to...like for my blood pressure. They all mess with the chemical and electrical impulses in our brains. I don't drink at all because I have blood sugar issues and it messes with my blood pressure meds. Thanks for you input, but tart cherry juice is doing the trick.

I have an update on the tart cherry juice. I have now tried a number of different brands. I started with the most expensive and then tried less and less expensive ones. The most expensive one works best. It actually helps me sleep. It takes two tablespoons to do the job. The one I've been trying lately hasn't helped at all...it takes 8 oz and it still didn't help. The one that works wonderfully is by Dynamac Health - Certified Organic Tart Cherry. I purchased it at Puritan Pride. https://www.puritan.com/dynamic-health-brand-0282/pporg-tart-cherry-jc32-ozli-025225 It's $26.99 for 32 oz. Be sure to check the serving size.
Thank you for this info. I must give it a try .

I tried melatonin, but not in combination with niacin. Maybe it works better together. Thanks. I know about the needing to get up in the night way too often. It often depends on what I ate that day
Tommy, it's not the bed. The bed is a good one. It's chemical imbalances. I feel it on the inside. It's like being way too alert because of caffeine. I don't consume caffeine in any form. Thanks.
Camper 6. Hope melatonin works for you. It didn't work for me. I have difficulty going to sleep and staying asleep. It varies.

No, it was not Trazodone. I can't remember what it was. It was years ago. I don't do prescription drugs unless I have to...like for my blood pressure. They all mess with the chemical and electrical impulses in our brains. I don't drink at all because I have blood sugar issues and it messes with my blood pressure meds. Thanks for you input, but tart cherry juice is doing the trick.
Hello Phoenix .... would like to ask you at what time of day you take the tart cherry juice for best effect for sleep ? Hoping I haven’t missed you saying that somewhere already . Picked up a bottle today . I so can relate to you ...in having tried everything else for sleep without any help so far .
Thanks .

Hello Phoenix .... would like to ask you at what time of day you take the tart cherry juice for best effect for sleep ? Hoping I haven’t missed you saying that somewhere already . Picked up a bottle today . I so can relate to you ...in having tried everything else for sleep without any help so far .
Thanks .
I take it about an hour and a half before bed when I take my soy protein powder in milk. (I'm hypyglycemic and need the protein boost.) Be sure you got tart cherry juice from a high concentrate. The weaker stuff doesn't work for me. The one that works says that the serving size is 2 tablespoons. The one I get is from Dynamic Health. It takes a few days for it to take full effect.

I take it about an hour and a half before bed when I take my soy protein powder in milk. (I'm hypyglycemic and need the protein boost.) Be sure you got tart cherry juice from a high concentrate. The weaker stuff doesn't work for me. The one that works says that the serving size is 2 tablespoons. The one I get is from Dynamic Health. It takes a few days for it to take full effect.
Thank you so much for all that good info . So glad it has worked for you .... I’m on day two of taking it now . But will start taking it closer to bedtime now . Here’s hoping 🤞

Thank you so much for all that good info . So glad it has worked for you .... I’m on day two of taking it now . But will start taking it closer to bedtime now . Here’s hoping 🤞
My suggestion is to play around with it. It could also be what other things you have eaten/drunk during the day. Too much salt keeps me awake and makes me sweat. The preservatives and other ingredient is some food interfere. There are a series of things that get in the way of me sleeping. One of the things I do before going to bed is watch and listen to things that serve as lullaby. Music like Bernward Koch and Phil Coulter play - it's instrumental and soothing. Watching Too Cute on Animal Planet also helps. The distress in the world right now is overwhelming, and I have to trick myself into sleeping, so to speak.

Simply Great by Bernward Koch

My suggestion is to play around with it. It could also be what other things you have eaten/drunk during the day. Too much salt keeps me awake and makes me sweat. The preservatives and other ingredient is some food interfere. There are a series of things that get in the way of me sleeping. One of the things I do before going to bed is watch and listen to things that serve as lullaby. Music like Bernward Koch and Phil Coulter play - it's instrumental and soothing. Watching Too Cute on Animal Planet also helps. The distress in the world right now is overwhelming, and I have to trick myself into sleeping, so to speak.

I have been an insomniac for many many years before relocating to the Canadian Prairies ten years ago. Now I can enjoy a good five hours sleep and the odd six hours. I feel great and feel it is due to change of climate, fresh clean country air, the wind drifting through the trees and on occasion the sound of one of the horses neighing a good-night. I head out usually at 7:00 AM and do a walk-about treating the horses with a morning mint or dry apple bits then head back in for breakfast feeling totally refreshed. Works for me. I must say that 'Simply Great' by Bernward Koch is simply great! I also love the visual!

I have been an insomniac for many many years before relocating to the Canadian Prairies ten years ago. Now I can enjoy a good five hours sleep and the odd six hours. I feel great and feel it is due to change of climate, fresh clean country air, the wind drifting through the trees and on occasion the sound of one of the horses neighing a good-night. I head out usually at 7:00 AM and do a walk-about treating the horses with a morning mint or dry apple bits then head back in for breakfast feeling totally refreshed. Works for me. I must say that 'Simply Great' by Bernward Koch is simply great! I also love the visual!
I live in the boonies as well. But that did not help me sleep. It's good that it helped you. Glad you love Simply Great. Bernward Koch is a wonderful musician. He soothes my inner soul.

Thanks .

Thanks so much for even more really good suggestions. I hadn’t paid attention to possible correlation with what I had eaten during the day . And will have to do so .
Interesting about the salt . I also will break out in a sweat at times too but chalked it up to still having hormonal hot flashes .
Loving Simply Great !! .... was not aware of Bernard Koch’s music ( where have I been ..??? 🙄) & yes it is lovely & so very calming . Many thanks for sharing that .
I so get what you said about about having to trick the mind into sleeping . Probably my mind is my worst enemy as I tend to overthink and analyze way too much. Working on that too.
Have greatly appreciated your help Phoenix .

I live in the boonies as well. But that did not help me sleep. It's good that it helped you. Glad you love Simply Great. Bernward Koch is a wonderful musician. He soothes my inner soul.
I haven't heard the word 'boonie' since I was a kid. Basically, the word that I am looking for is 'silence' and this is what I experience at night where I live and it works for me. Must admit, it was scary at first as I heard the call of coyotes always, dogs far away, etc. but have now adapted.

Back