Anybody from South Dakota?

Old Dummy

Who am I? Why am I here?
I've pondered the idea of retiring there, but never been there, and know little about it other than what I've learned online.

My son lives about an hour north of Sioux Falls in a small town. I’ve visited one time, in early May. It’s flat. It’s windy. Farm land stretches for miles and miles and miles... then there’s a house and some trees; repeat lol. Beautiful “big” skies; sunsets last an hour. Haven’t been to other parts of the state, just my experience.

We were in Hill City one summer. Apparently it had snowed in early June. All I know is that it was hotter than the hinges of hell in July. Not sure that I want to live somewhere with such extremes.

That said, the Black Hills are beautiful! I really enjoyed all the sights....Needles Highway, Mt. Rushmore, the caves, the rock-hunting, the buffalo....

I did compare temps before I made this thread. Depending on where in SD, but it averages 5-10° warmer in July, and 5-10° colder in January than where I am now.

I can live with that, but it does have more violent weather than I do, and the eastern part is in the proverbial "Tornado Alley." That's not so good.

So who knows? I'll probably croak right where I am, although Florida is still a possibility. But the thought of moving at age 71 or 72 with no help gives me a headache.

Back