Anybody have some good inflation-fiting "Poor Man" meal recipes?

I am going to put this article here, as a lot can be done with cottage cheese. One of my favorite things to make it into a light lunch is to cook up some pasta...shells or elbows, when drained and butter added I add a spoonful or two of cottage cheese and eat away. And of course just a scoop of it with fruit,

Cottage Cheese Is Cool Again and Better Than Ever—and We've Got the Recipes to Prove It (yahoo.com)
My husband likes a bowl of cottage cheese with thousand island dressing on it. I won't comment because I do not like either food. Okay, I will comment. It looks yucky.

Barley is inexpensive, filling and high fibre. When the days are cooler, I intend to make a barley casserole.

https://www.food.com/recipe/barley-casserole-72138
I like barley in soup, too. Unfortunately, it is not gluten-free. My son is on a GF vegan diet.

I bookmarked that recipe; it sounds pretty good. I'll probably add chicken when I make it. I am supposed to eat at least 70 grams of protein a day, and I probably fall far short of that.

Last edited:
Honey cuts up a can of spam and sautés it with onions seasoned with oregano, s & p, and other seasonings and mixes it with a bag of boiled egg noodles. I recently had him add cut up celery. Really good. It took me a while to get used to it a I never ate spam before, but now I really enjoy it. Makes a lot so you can have it more than one day.
I bought a can of Spam and I don't like it. I figured that since I like fried bologna sandwiches, I'd probably like Spam. That was disappointing. I'm glad you like it. It sounds like a quick recipe and it is beneficial to know about the good ones. I'm about to move into my cousin's house - maybe he'll like it.

Squirrels, ducks, rabbits, lamb/sheep, veal, venison ... there is no way I could eat those. Squirrels are rodents, and dead ducks look too much like ducks. Rabbits are cute. Lambs are too young and cute, and sheep used to be lambs. Plus I think sheep have ugly faces. Veal - I don't like the way the calves are raised. Deer are too lovely, but I would take the ribs (if a hunter offered them) or ground venison because it would be good for my dog, and he would love it.

There is a downside to looking at animals like I do: It limits me to canned tuna, beef, and chicken. I eat pork, but rarely because pigs are so intelligent. If I had to raise my own meat, I'd have to be a vegan or vegetarian because I could not kill my friends. I am basically a sentimental sap, I guess.

I think a lot of it is boiled down to how someone is raised, except for the adventuresome. No one in my family hunted, until my brother did. My mother served beef, chicken and chicken livers, turkey, and sometimes pork, and that was it. Well, she cooked fish, but I don't like fish and fed it to the dog.

I tried some kind of kidney pie once, thinking the kidneys were kidney beans because what else would it be? I about croaked when I was told they were animal kidneys. Which animal, I don't recall. I was a dinner guest at their home, so I ate it all. This British couple also served Yorkshire pudding with gravy, which goes a long way with me. And mashed potatoes mixed with mashed turnips. And a beef roast. All in all, I loved the food and that made up for having to eat the kidney pie.

I've never heard that before.

Wonder if that's why, when I ordered chili while I was in England, it was served on a bed of rice. I thought that was really odd.
In Cincinnati, their signature chili has spaghetti in it. I think it's called Skyline Chili. My grandma made chili that way, even though she was in Louisville. I haven't eaten chili that way. I did put rice in the last batch I made because of the protein thing. Vegans have to be careful about getting enough protein and B12. My son is a vegan, and my daughter and I are not.

Honey cuts up a can of spam and sautés it with onions seasoned with oregano, s & p, and other seasonings and mixes it with a bag of boiled egg noodles. I recently had him add cut up celery. Really good. It took me a while to get used to it a I never ate spam before, but now I really enjoy it. Makes a lot so you can have it more than one day.
I ate a lot of Spam when I was little. I liked it.

I very recently tried a shortcut to the Sausage Gravy I love so
much...no more flour/mixes etc...I simply cook a bunch of sausage, then put in a can (or 1/2can) of LIBBY'S SAUSAGE
gravy, mix it all up and serve on either toast or biscuit's
.....just now finished having some for br'kfast....works for me...!!!

One of my favorite meals came from my grandmother who was feeding a family of six during the Depression.

Saute a large onion in olive oil, add frozen green peas (she used fresh back then) and turn off the heat.

Boil a pound of pasta until al dente.
Save a couple of cups of the pasta water and drain off the rest.

In a large bowl, combine the pasta with the onion and pea mixture. Add a little more olive oil and some of the pasta water as needed.

Serve with freshly cracked pepper, salt and freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.

This recipe works with almost any kind of vegetable: peas, broccoli, green beans, etc., plus vegetable mixtures.

One of my favorite meals came from my grandmother who was feeding a family of six during the Depression.

Saute a large onion in olive oil, add frozen green peas (she used fresh back then) and turn off the heat.

In a large bowl, combine the pasta with the onion and pea mixture. Add a little more olive oil and some of the pasta water as needed.

Serve with freshly cracked pepper, salt and freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.

This recipe works with almost any kind of vegetable: peas, broccoli, green beans, etc., plus vegetable mixtures.
Pasta e Piselli!

The old Italians used to make if with canned peas.

IMO frozen peas are a much better option.

When times were tough they used to stretch the grated Parmesan or Romano cheese by adding dry bread crumbs to it, and when times were really tough it was nothing but dry bread crumbs.

Pasta e Piselli!

When times were tough they used to stretch the grated Parmesan or Romano cheese by adding dry bread crumbs to it, and when times were really tough it was nothing but dry bread crumbs.
Yes on all. My Sicilian grandmother didn't much care for canned foods - insisting on fresh, often from her garden.

Oddly, in her later years she freaking fell IN LOVE with Tang. Yes, I'm talking about that weird powdered drink mix that bragged it was the beverage of astronauts. I swear she put it in everything, including her tomato sauce. What a riot! :love:

I use the little packet. I wish they would come out with some that were lower in sodium.
HerbOx brand makes sodium-free bouillon powder, both beef and chicken; it's really good; can't find it in the stores around here but can get it from Amazon.

Another good recipe site is allrecipes.com; I signed up for their daily emails (you don't have to), I kind of enjoy--but get hungry!--reading them.

Pasta e Piselli!

One of my favorite dinners when I was a kid. I still make it for my grandkids sometimes. They like it best with plenty of fresh cracked black pepper.

My mom made sort of a monkey-bread with it that was made out of milk and baked in an iron skillet. I don't have the recipe, but my sister might have it. It's just basically milk, yeast, an egg, and flour. So yummy!

HerbOx brand makes sodium-free bouillon powder, both beef and chicken; it's really good; can't find it in the stores around here but can get it from Amazon.

Another good recipe site is allrecipes.com; I signed up for their daily emails (you don't have to), I kind of enjoy--but get hungry!--reading them.
I use the HerbOx brand chicken cubes when I make my pilaf.
So much better than canned broth, imo.

Although, I like the canned broth for other things. Soups, gravy.

Yesterday I picked up a reduced price package of of regular ground beef; it was $5.50 vs $7.50. This butcher shop does reductions quite often though this is the first time I’ve bought one. They usually do this when a weekly price is changing the next day. Half a pound of meat is oodles for us. It was fried it up with a chopped onion and then half was frozen. Now, here’s the gourmet part that I learned in college days - stir in ketchup and serve in buns or on rice or potatoes. Yesterday I added some roasted peppers in oil. Any spices could be added to this fine dish. I served it on quinoa, with a toasted salad and asparagus with hollandaise sauce.

A trick I‘ve learned for sauces is to make the recipe and then freeze up small portIons. I’m not so likely to over serve extra calories just to use it up.

Back