Anyone Afraid of heights ?

It would be terribly embarrassing when you soiled your drawers up there.

I have seen pictures of the statue many times, but seeing the workmen up there really gives it scale. It is HUGE.

I seriously do not like heights, not just for myself. If I see someone in a really high spot my stomach actually turns over. Worst was years ago I was playing Nintendo and Mario was running along a cliff..........yes I know I was making him run and I was too fast and Mario ran off the cliff, and there was the old stomach flip! I have been in spots where I have had to walk in high places and it is really difficult.

Anyone Afraid of heights ?

Me, afraid of heights? Not at all, I can run up and down a ladder all day, so long as it only has three rungs. :)

The Spousal Equivalent used to be able to climb up the tall radio masts on his Navy ships with no hesitation, but later in life developed a paralyzing fear of heights.
It does take some getting used to.
Whatever fear of heights I had, was lost when working a couple jobs in Houston.

One was a brick layer's helper.
Hauling mortar and bricks up a five story brick wall at a Howard Johnson hotel.
Scaffolding looks OK, from the ground.
Up five stories, with yer arms full, not so much.

The other was at Proler Steel.
Running the mag crane.
When the crane broke down, the operator would have to climb outa the crane and walk the rail to get to the ladder.
The rail was about 8 inches wide.
It was only about 20 feet up, but walking that rail added another 6 feet to eye level.
Felt like wrapping my legs around the rail, and inch along to the ladder.
Only had to do that once.

Most recent cure was at the cabin.

The shop roof;

Again, not that many feet up.
And looking at the peak from ground level doesn't look at all frightening.

finished front.jpg2.jpg

However

An event took place that gave me a bit of anxiety.

I was laying the felt.

felt up.jpg2.jpg

To get the ladder positioned where I wanted it, I had to incorporate the scaffold.
So, strapped the scaffold to a stud in a couple places.

felt up.jpg3.jpg

Once I got to the top of the roof, finishing off the felt, the ladder started inching down.
The scaffold had managed to pull loose from the stud.
I was gonna go down.....soon.

Hollered for my woman.

She screamed, of which really bolstered my confidence.

I gingerly inched my way down the ladder, and lightly stepped on the scaffold, then leaped to the ground.

These days I prefer working at ground level

People have two feet, and they are supposed to be on the ground. Period! I am terrified of height. I freeze. Being on a third floor balcony is sheer terror, but I've been to the top of the Empire State Building, many, many times, and nothing. There's all these super high buildings with glass floors, ain't no way in hell. Riding a Ferris wheel,, Yeah, right. They'd have to unweld my hands from the railing

Back