Anyone else react to Shingrix vaccine?

"I have friends who’ve had multiple bouts of shingles, and who’ve been vaccinated."
Interesting that people still want such a vaccine.
If that doesn't define "useless," I don't know what does.
Well having had shingles and been completely debilitated by it, I will do whatever I can to not have to go through that again. So if the vaccine lessens the impact should I come down with it again, I’m all for it!! 🎉

Last edited:
Shingles once and Shingrix twice. Frankly I don’t understand the fear of a sore arm for a day or two when the consequences of failing to vaccinate can be truly terrible. In the case of shingles, chronic pain or even blindness. Just get that vaccine!

I suspect few if any reactions are as bad as getting shingles.
I had one bout of shingles a couple years ago, no big deal at all. Wasn’t sure whether or not to get the vaccine because my episode was so mild. Then I got it again earlier this year and it was some of the worst pain I’ve ever felt, and I’m not a lightweight when it comes to pain!!

My doc said to wait 6 months before getting the vaccine, but to GET it!! And you’re exactly right @Alligatorob, I’ll take a much worse reaction than mine, over another bout of shingles as severe as I had last time!

Had both shots well over a year ago. No issues or reactions. But I am fortunate as I never have a reaction from vaccines. My wife often has a sore arm and may be tired for a day or so.

I got my shingles shot # 1 yesterday. Site of shot reaction is uncomfortable, plus I was completely wiped out by yesterday afternoon. I went to bed for 3 hrs. I never nap during the day so that was highly u usual for me. Also I’ve never had that reaction to a vaccine before. Today I’m still feeling puny, but I’m at least somewhat functioning.
View attachment 251119
That's pretty much how I've reacted for 2 days to flu and COVID vaccines/boosters. Arm hurts like hell and itches for several days.

Friend of a friend - she got shingles in her eye. Even after all the agony, it’s not looking good; she’ll likely lose most of her sight.
The Chicken Pox virus lies dormant for a lifetime on the spine at the root of a nerve - until it wakes up. It can be any nerve, but if it‘s one that travels to the eye, or various other precarious places, watch out! That’s why minor discomfort from the vaccination is more than worth it.

2+ days after the Dtap vaccine, its effect are finally winding down. Strongest vaccine side effects I've experienced. I had a strong bout of shingles Christmas 2013 or 9 years ago. Felt like I seriously injured a lower back disc and would never again have much an active physical life again. But then the itchy red bumps arose. Two vaccine shots since. A few shingles bumps rise up every year or two and last for a couple weeks.The vaccine does not kill off all the chickenpox virus embedded in one's nerves but helps prevent new cases from becoming serious. Anyone of we old folk that has had even an average case is not going to let a day or two of vaccine second effects from being stuck.

We don't know if we ever had chicken pox, so just as a precaution we got the Shingrix all we had was a sore arm for a couple of days. That was true of the second shot too.

Do you know if they had Shingrix or the other early brand of vaccine. Many years ago there was a single shot vaccine that had a much lower rate of efficacy. Shingrix is the gold standard right now and even it’s not 100%.

Just anecdotally I know that’s incorrect because I have friends who’ve had multiple bouts of shingles, and who’ve been vaccinated.
Just curious Ronni, if you know if those who were vaccinated and got shingles, had the other older type, or the newer SHingrix one?

The previous one was a live virus vaccine, so some of us were advised not to get it. The current Shingrix one is not live, and I intend to get it in early 2023, when it will be covered by Medicare.

@J-Kat Your SIL might have had the previous live one?

Do you feel a lot better, yet, @Ronni
I hope so, and how many days did the Vx effects last?
@Kaila I felt crappy day of vax, napped for 3 hours….and I NEVER take naps! My arm hurt. Next day I just felt off…sluggish, tired, didn’t nap any more but was vaguely achy and slow. That was it, day 3 I felt back to normal except for sore arm which lasted 3 or 4 more days, but better each day

I know for sure of one person who had the older vax and two who got Shingrix
Do you think that everyone gets the 2nd of the 2-shot Shingrix, too? Or do some people not go back for the 2nd, and are then possibly less protected than if they'd had both?
Just wondering, but I'm decided on getting them. Thanks, Ronni, and everyone for sharing!

Well having had shingles and been completely debilitated by it, I will do whatever I can to not have to go through that again. So if the vaccine lessens the impact should I come down with it again, I’m all for it!! 🎉
I also had shingles 40 years ago. I'd also be all for a vaccine, IF I thought it protected.
I think people want something, so they can feel protected whether they are or not, which is OK.
At least they're not advertising the Shingles vaccine as a way of "Protecting Others," like the flu & Covid vaccines. They don't need to; the fear is sufficient as it is.

Neither of us had a reaction to the shot.......unfortunately for me I had mine after already contracting shingles. 7+ years now, I guess, I've been seeing an eye physician/surgeon after it spread from my forehead to the eye, (interesting factoid, it only ever goes down one side of the face and impacts that eye).

Have had a lens replacement, but the shingles is encroaching on that now too. Take prednisolone drops three times a week.

May have to eventually have laser treatment...but that is not without risks so I'll have to weigh the odds.

Oddly enough, (or perhaps not since I believe I posted elsewhere that my grandmother used to say when I was a kid "No sense, no feeling"), I encountered no pain when I had it, other than a relatively mild itch/rash.

My supervisor, given that whatever I get differs from other people's experiences, says she believes I'm from another planet. (One day I'll bore you with what we have come to call 'The Fake Malaria'.)

I got my 2nd Shingles vaccine yesterday. I had trouble sleeping. Woke up with a bad headache and an achy body. Today I am so fatigued and I have a headache and sore muscles, achiness all over and a slight fever. I feel like I have the flu. I didn't have issues with my first vaccine.

I got my 2nd Shingles vaccine yesterday. I had trouble sleeping. Woke up with a bad headache and an achy body. Today I am so fatigued and I have a headache and sore muscles, achiness all over and a slight fever. I feel like I have the flu. I didn't have issues with my first vaccine.
Gosh, I hope you feel better, very soon!
Let us know how you are doing.

My health care provider keeps trying to push it on me and I keep refusing. If I have not gotten it in 80 years, I ain't worried about it. They are pushing a shot for tetanus too and the answer is the same. There has got to be $$ in it for them somehow.

A friend of mine had a similar reaction as you with his 2nd vaccine. It only lasted a couple of days and he's doing well now.

My health care provider keeps trying to push it on me and I keep refusing. If I have not gotten it in 80 years, I ain't worried about it. They are pushing a shot for tetanus too and the answer is the same. There has got to be $$ in it for them somehow.
Of course. If there wasn't, they wouldn't bother.

I never had chickenpox even though I've been exposed to it many times.

Back