Anyone enjoy reloading and shooting?

Mine is about 4000 past the last number. I was hoping they had an up date for the trench sight. It's not bad but I would prefer a normal sight. It would cost a lot to have it done.

Just bought an M1A Springfield rifle. Had to sell another gun to buy this one, but it still didn't cover the cost. Hope I don't have "retired" buyers remorse. Can't wait to try it out. Don't think I will reload for this one, but we will see.

M1A7.jpg

My husband is a competition trap-shooter. He has a 12 gauge and reloads his own (when he can get supplies, which are scarce these days). He has a shed that everything is in.

I use to reload a lot of different calibers for rifles & handguns. I got a Lee ?? loader wheel they go round in a circle & when do you have a bullet ready to fire. It has 5 stations on it. I kept buying different dies at gun shows along with bullets, brass & power. I haven't used it for a few years as it's too hard for me to get down into the basement.

Also, The gun shows have gone the way of the dinosaurs, so it's hard to get powers shipped anymore & the price is outrageous. That also makes a federal paper trail so the feds know where it's all going.

I handloaded for 44 years - mainly pistol calibers. It's the only way to afford enough practice to shoot competitively.
Absolutely! The standard course of fire takes 30 rounds: Slow, timed, and rapid fire. do that every week, that is over 1500 rounds. I gave all my reloading stuff to my younger son. We flew a private plane down to deliver it to him. The interesting part was loading it in the back of the plane:
A .50 cal ammo box, a wooden crate from mortar rounds, and all the reloading tools.
One problem I had was my.22 ammo was so old the lead bullets oxidized and would not chamber.

Just bought an M1A Springfield rifle. Had to sell another gun to buy this one, but it still didn't cover the cost. Hope I don't have "retired" buyers remorse. Can't wait to try it out. Don't think I will reload for this one, but we will see.

View attachment 189203
I bought an M1 Carbine, .30 caliber, years ago, at an estate auction. It was made by IBM in 1942, and is a nice "collectable". It came with 3 32 round clips, and I loaded it up one time, and fired a full clip...what a hoot! Now, it just sits in the safe, and about once a year, I put 5 rounds through it, clean it up, then it goes back in the safe.

View attachment 189203
Very sweet looking weapon...
I just finished building a AR-10 .308 and hope to load up some test rounds this weekend.

I needed some hard to find rifle primers and RCBS had a deal that is if you bought the dies for a rifle round you could get 1000 primers with it.
It was a deal too good to pass up and I now can reload for my new M1A 7.62x51. Have to go shoot a box first to have the brass to reload.

I needed some hard to find rifle primers and RCBS had a deal that is if you bought the dies for a rifle round you could get 1000 primers with it.
It was a deal too good to pass up and I now can reload for my new M1A 7.62x51. Have to go shoot a box first to have the brass to reload.
I have a ton of 7.62x51 Brass..... Funny story... I have several friends that shoot/reload, we swap and trade. Well a few had a bunch of 308/7.62 brass they just gave me, and I collected with the intention of giving it to another buddy.... When I told him he said thanks, but already has a couple thousand rounds already.... So I have all this Brass, a pile of bullets...since I shoot 30-06, 300BLK plus molds to make more. so I just needed a rifle and Dies.... My buddy I had saved them for to begin with up and gives me a set of dies he had extra... so I had to build my 308.

Absolutely! The standard course of fire takes 30 rounds: Slow, timed, and rapid fire. do that every week, that is over 1500 rounds. I gave all my reloading stuff to my younger son. We flew a private plane down to deliver it to him. The interesting part was loading it in the back of the plane:
A .50 cal ammo box, a wooden crate from mortar rounds, and all the reloading tools.
One problem I had was my.22 ammo was so old the lead bullets oxidized and would not chamber.
I once fired some old .22 rounds my grandfather had in his closet. They were in a leather belt on loops, and they were all green and dirty. I fired several with no problem and then one exploded in the chamber. It sent the bullet, but a trap door on the bottom of my rifle apparently made for such things opened up. I checked for damage and did not shoot any more of those green shells. Gun was fine fortunately.

I once fired some old .22 rounds my grandfather had in his closet. They were in a leather belt on loops, and they were all green and dirty. I fired several with no problem and then one exploded in the chamber. It sent the bullet, but a trap door on the bottom of my rifle apparently made for such things opened up. I checked for damage and did not shoot any more of those green shells. Gun was fine fortunately.
You probably already know it, but in case you don't, don't fire any ammo that's in bad shape again. You're fortunate that it was a .22 & not something that was higher pressure.
A gun is a bomb that you set off a few inches from your face.

I took my "collection" our of the safe, this past Fall, and put a few rounds through each, cleaned them, and put them back in the safe. Then, back in early December, we were in Columbia, MO., for a bit, and I stopped by a large Ammo supplier...Midway, USA...and was amazed at the lack of ammo, and the Huge increase in prices. That place is usually one of the best places to buy ammo, but they looked no better than the local Walmart. I did buy some extra powder, and some bullets, to reload the cases I used.

Between the BLM riots, and this Covid, it appears that gun and ammo sales, and prices, have gone through the roof in the past couple of years.

I've got a Lee press set up in the basement. I started out reloading SW 40 Cal for my S.I.L. I also loaded 223s for my you know what. Then went to 257's, SW 38 specials, 9 mm, 380 ACP & a few more I forget.

Since It's hard for me to go up & down basement steps I don't do any right now.

Back