Anyone ever managed to get a midlevel government job?

WinAZ

I’ve applied for at least 10 jobs via the USAJOBS official website. All of the positions said “open to the public.” Every one got me a reply that said:

“There are other applicants who, by law, must be considered before your application, such as displaced federal employees, certain Veterans, and others entitled to special consideration. Therefore, your application will not be considered at this time.”

Even though I’m a veteran, have the required degree and possess tons of experience, I get bumped every time.

Has anyone managed to get a midlevel government job without working your way up from the bottom?

Am I just wasting my time applying?

My husband (also a Vet) sent a HUGE packet of papers required by the FBI for a job in the 1990s. They "LOST" them twice. They require SO much information make sure you save copies of everything you send, because you'll need it again! Our son also sent reams of paper to openings on USAJobs - neither one ever got so much as an interview.

My niece, however had an amazing figure, sweet face and a talent for sounding like she really knew what she was doing. She got hired immediately as a secretary/admin asst. She did her homework and was rehearsed and ready for her phone interview. It still comes down to WHO YOU KNOW and I'm sure she knew several people already in government. They lived just outside an army base. Niece has since, managed to finish her BS degree online and has moved up in the local Dept. of Homeland Security - because she IS smart and capable. But, a lot of other people are too.

Husband ultimately ended up working for TVA (as an ex-navy NUC ) - a government owned corporation - and we retired from there with some good benefits and support. FIND someone who already has a government job and make a connection, ask questions, get interview questions and ask them for a referral - once you have applied for a specific opening. GOOD LUCK!

Anyone ever managed to get a midlevel government job?
No, but I have known and worked with a lot of them. It seems to me that the government is not much different from private industry, most jobs are filled by people known to the folks doing the hiring. Exception is usually just when they know of no one to fill the vacancy. So networking is often the key.

You being a vet is helpful, but not as you have discovered a guarantee. What that means is all things being equal you are more likely to get the job than a non-vet.
Probably not, just be persistent and do what networking you can.

Best of luck with it!

I did manage to get a midlevel job with the Dept of Energy in 2008 after working in the private sector for about 35 years. My private sector job was ending due to a takeover so I started researching and applying to several openings. I feel your pain as I also am a veteran but the bureaucracy is unreal. Perseverance is key as it took over 8 months from application to acceptance. I retired from DOE in 2017.

Would you consider a job with your state or county government instead of federal? I would think your odds might better since there are likely fewer applicants, fewer are vets, etc. I would suggest you not apply for every posting but focus on those that have requirements that match your education and experience. I was a state program administrator and hired a lot of people. Those that were hired were people who had the correct qualifications and who made a good impression during their interviews, had bothered to learn some basics about the job, etc. You might consider so-called entry level positions which would “get your foot in the door.” and enable you to enhance your opportunity to move up. Good luck and be persistent.

I’ve applied for at least 10 jobs via the USAJOBS official website. All of the positions said “open to the public.” Every one got me a reply that said:

“There are other applicants who, by law, must be considered before your application, such as displaced federal employees, certain Veterans, and others entitled to special consideration. Therefore, your application will not be considered at this time.”

Even though I’m a veteran, have the required degree and possess tons of experience, I get bumped every time.

Has anyone managed to get a midlevel government job without working your way up from the bottom?

probably unless you have an inside track from one or more of the actual hireing officials....they then after you apply shepard your app through the myrid hosed up process....if they want you usajobs is the worst jobs site in existance.....

If you want a civil service job with states or municipalities, go to their sites or offices and see what openings they have. Then register for the civil service tests. I worked for a municipality and am now living on a government pension for 17 years.

Back