Anyone RV it full time?

Deesierra ... Sorry took so long to reply. Yes, New Mexico ... Albuquerque. It's great here. Lived in Santa Fe many years too. Thanks for the info!

You're welcome, and it's good to know that you are happy in NM. I am considering Ruidoso or Cloudcroft because I'm a mountain girl. The low property tax rates in NM are very appealing!

The practicing of backing up applies to trailers. With a motor home you unhitch and move each vehicle separately.
If you do the math, most people come out cheaper with a trailer.

If you are 62 or older you can get a "geezer pass" for free admission to national parks. With it you can camp for half price. We have camped for as little as $4 a night in National Forests. The lifetime pass costs $10, a super bargain.

We never went full time, but have gone to Nova Scotia, the FL Keys, Seattle, Vancouver BC, San Diego, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas plus a lot of places in between. We are now 81 & 82, so we sold our Casita 17' trailer last summer after one last trip to the Great Smokey Mountains.

The practicing of backing up applies to trailers. With a motor home you unhitch and move each vehicle separately.
If you do the math, most people come out cheaper with a trailer.

If you are 62 or older you can get a "geezer pass" for free admission to national parks. With it you can camp for half price. We have camped for as little as $4 a night in National Forests. The lifetime pass costs $10, a super bargain.

We never went full time, but have gone to Nova Scotia, the FL Keys, Seattle, Vancouver BC, San Diego, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas plus a lot of places in between. We are now 81 & 82, so we sold our Casita 17' trailer last summer after one last trip to the Great Smokey Mountains.

Unfortunately with some of the more popular national parks (like Grand Canyon and Yosemite) outsourcing their camping areas over to private concessionaires, the 50% off camping with the geezer pass is beginning to peter out. You still get in the park for free and a lot of the tours (like cave tours) can be 50% off but the concessionaires don't give you discounts. Bummer. Those passes really come in handy, though, because we've found out that a lot of other places will give you a discount if you show them your pass. I figure we have saved a load of money with those passes.

I don't know if you do Facebook or not but if you put in RVing, there are all kinds of groups. Or you can go to forums on the forest river website or Jayco website or whatever brand you were considering . Good Sam has forums. So there are tons of people who full-time and or RV alone. You would be amazed at the number of women that do this. I am not sure why you would need someone to hook you up? I do doubt that you could count on someone to do this at each park. But it's just a learning process like anything else and not all that difficult. Get something you can afford and do it recreationally before making a commitment to try to do it full-time

Check into Loners on Wheels, which is an organization for singles. I understand that if you get married they throw you out.

We have known several couples that full timed for a few years and with the knowledge gained picked out a place for a permanent home. They elected to settle in a retirement community with an active RV club and continued to travel on club trips.

My wife and I travel in a class-B motorhome, which is essentially a tall van. There are a lot of advantages such as being able to park in any legal parking spot when visiting a town, and fitting into some of the smaller campsites in national and state forests. It also means we don't need a tow vehicle or to pull around a small car to leave the campsite. We find that there is plenty of space for the two of us and our dog (golden retriever). We prefer boondocking to rv parks, since we like being out in the trees. It is very practical since it gets good fuel mileage and can easily climb the mountains we love so much. Inside, we have most of the comforts of home. Solar panels on the roof help a lot when boondocking.

If you are still interested in the RV lifestyle check out Howard & Linda's website. They sold their home and have been living in their RV for years. Their site contains everything you need to know about RV-ing including if it's right for you., what preparations to make and what to expect financially when becoming a full time RVer. http://www.rv-dreams.com/dream.html

My parents full time RV'd for 10 years. Downfall was lack of exercise & motivation to do much of anything, resulted in health decline, Dad had a stroke.

My sis and bro-in-law started spending oct-April in their giant RV in South Texas in a 55+ place. We went down to visit for a week and was appalled at the processed food everyone ate. Exercise? Take the old golf cart out with the dog on a leash for a walk. Dog walks, you ride. The people couldn't of been nicer, but man oh man, lack of exercise and terrible food choices. We were never so happy to see a real salad.

Back