Anyone Up For a Swim?

Ruthanne

SF VIP
Thinking of joining the Y again to go swimming. I know I have said it before and then not done it but am seriously considering it again. I used to do it until I ran into a person who was annoying. I guess we have to let them go...annoyers that is. I found my new bathing suit and now only need to get a lock for locking up my stuff. I used to love swimming and it's such a good feeling after you swim, isn't it. Haven't been in the new pool at our newly remodeled Y but it looks tantalizing! Since PT didn't work so well for me I think this would be a good step in restoring my muscle tone as it's not so good now. They also have a hot tub and sauna! I need to do something like this and soon!

Coincidentally just returned today from a swim at the local indoor pool. Did 1 km. (40 laps of a 25 metre pool) stopped a few seconds between each lap. Never mastered the tumble turn.
Had a dry sauna after that followed by a steam sauna. Gotta love getting all those toxins out of the body. I need to do this every week instead of once every 3 months. Love it!

Went swimming almost everyday last week while on vacation in Key West and Clearwater, Florida. My grandson and I also did a bit of scuba diving. I haven't done any diving since I was 50 y/o, but he wanted to try it, so I went along with him. I don't like using rented equipment, but I tolerated it. My dive was only 30 feet and my grandson had to out due grandpa, so he did 35 feet.

Due to my severe osteoarthritis I can no longer run or walk long distances so I began to swim. It has been instrumental in restoring my health and very rarely do I have pain due to my condition. I’ve also been able to shed quite a bit of weight so I strongly recommend this type of exercise! Have a great time!!

Due to my severe osteoarthritis I can no longer run or walk long distances so I began to swim. It has been instrumental in restoring my health and very rarely do I have pain due to my condition. I’ve also been able to shed quite a bit of weight so I strongly recommend this type of exercise! Have a great time!!

From most everything that I have read, swimming is one of the best exercises a person can do because a person uses every muscle in their body while swimming. I used to swim a lot, but for the past 6 years, I have had limited opportunities to continue.

Quick story. About 5 years ago, my wife and I attended a cookout at a relative’s home. This relative’s home has a pool. My niece brought her BF along. My two much younger cousins were there, along with their husbands and several other relatives and friends. Little did any of us know that my niece’s BF could not swim.

My cousin that owned the home told each guest as they arrived that if they would like, they were welcome to use the pool. The niece’s BF goes into the cabana by the pool and changes into his trunks. A few minutes later, he emerges from the cabana, walks up to the deep end (8’) and jumps in.

As he begins to flounder in the water, we watched and were laughing, thinking that he was putting on a act. Finally, someone speaks up that he thinks he’s actually drowning. My two cousins’ husband jump in and rescue him. After the dust settled, they asked him what he was thinking. His answer was that he “assumed” that the whole pool was only 3’ deep.

The pool is very well marked and even had a rope across the water in the middle of it at the 4’ foot area. Sad, but true that some people are that ignorant.

The Y I swim at is great. I do ten laps, hit the weight machines, and then head home. You should definitely go for it, if you have the time and are able to physically handle it.

Back