Anyone Use An Air Purifier Just To Sleep??

fmdog44

I am looking at a top rated air purifier for $329 to put in the bedroom because I suspect sleeping with much cleaner air than we have in Houston will 1.) be good for my health and 2.) make me feel much better in the morning. Anyone doing the same or have done so in the past

We have had better health and felt much better when we wake up keeping our air as clean as possible.

We have an IQ Air HealthPro Series with HEPA Pre-filter, HEPA filter and the Carbon Filter Cartridges for wood smoke and chemicals (wood smoke is mostly toxic chemicals/gases after the lung damaging wood chips ( 2.5 and smaller particulate matter) is filtered out by the two HEPA's.

We have one attached to the heat exchanger to filter all air before it gets in the house. We have a second IQ Air HealthPro to use in any room we want (it has wheels) if we can't or don't want to run the whole house system.
The portable IQ is to loud for sleeping so I have a tiny Austin HealthPro JR. The Austin is perfect for bedrooms and nurseries because it is almost silent on the 1st setting and not obnoxiously loud on the other settings. It comes with a combo Hepa and Carbon smoke/chemical filter.

It is also a good size for our motorhome. We take him with us everywhere we go!

Last edited:
We had a filtering unit in our bedroom. We found we slept better without it, less allergic reactions, as well. I found, when I thoroughly explored the unit, that the unit did collect lots of dust on its filter surfaces. It did remove particulate matter from the air. However, even in a short forty eight hour run, the particulate matter removed, eventually coated all surfaces of the filter, pre and post-filter. What happened, then, was that a concentrated stream of air, loaded with "junk," was blown out of the unit, concentrating the very materials we were trying to steer clear of.

If you read up on air filters, online, you'll find I'm not alone in my findings. Some studies have concluded you're better off without a filter UNLESS, as with industrial units, you want to spend a few hours, everyday, carefully detailing the unit, and changing out all filter surfaces. No thanks, for me!

Keep in mind that the unit cited in the second post, above, is known to have a foul chemical smell, and is rated at one star by about ten percent of those who try it, the last time I checked.

Beware of the 5-Star reviews. Many, if not most, read like those that are paid for.

Last edited:
The only thing that bothers me is like treeguy64 stated the reviews are useless. Buying one on line may not be the ay to go for reason of returning it if not satisfied.

I've had a HEPA filter air purifier running 24/7 in my room for 10 years. I change the carbon prefilters every 3 months and the HEPA filter once a year. I can't sleep without it.
Just out of curiosity, when you change the HEPA filter, do you ever use a flashlight to look at the post filter surfaces of your unit? If you are seeing ANY dust buildup on those surfaces, including the air return fins, then you are actually breathing worse air, air concentrated with particulate matter, than you would without the filter. A few online articles mention a placebo effect involved with residential air filter use. A few mention that the sound of the filter helps some folks.

@fmdog44
I like the Aireox brand air cleaner, and usually I have it in the bedroom, where I feel it does make the air much better, and is good for me, since that is where I spend the most hours. I cough less, I breathe better, with it, and I personally don't have any of the problems mentioned in above posts, that others have had.

All of them make some sound, and I am sensitive to noises, but they need to have a motor and fan, to move the air about the room.
I selected this one, partly because the sound is not loud or rattily or uneven.

I also like this one, because the filters together in one replacement unit, are easy to slide out the old and in the new)
the filter materials clean out more different things, than the cheaper machines that are sold that are made to only clear out the largest particles.
I would look for one with a tiny size micron filter (the tinier number, the better imo) in order to get the most of vapors as possible, in addition to the larger air particulates, that most any air filters get.

This one is very portable, which i also like, because it helps me in any other room, if it's brought there, for a few hours.

I can tell that it does noticeably clean out things that are problematic, (smoke or fumes or odors, or dust)
when taken to any room.
I don't believe my effects are a placebo, because most anyone can notice the difference in the air in the one room it is in, whenever taken places.
In fact, I wouldn't go to any hotel room without it. Or visit overnight anyplace. It clears out the noticeable scents in any room, in max of a couple of hours.

Yes, when the filters are changed, it does get vacuumed out and wiped out. You can even vacuum the outside in between.
I myself, I don't find any problems with it. Other than the expense of the initial purchase, plus then you must buy replacement filter sets, for any that you buy. It wouldn't be worth buying any, if one couldn't buy the filters and replace them.

I am sharing my own experience with it, in case it helps you or anyone else, not to contradict anyone else's info or input or ideas or experiences. I thought it would be helpful for me to add mine. I live where it's dusty, plus, car exhaust fumes and other peoples cleaning chemicals and perfumes, etc, get into my apartment, so it's worth the big expense of it, to me, personally.

Last edited:
I have an air purifier in the room where I keep my pets, and have noticed a big improvement in the smell of the room. I did have one in the bedroom but can't say I noticed any difference in my sleep quality. The ones I have were the small, cheap ones which don't have filters, but it's amazing just how much dust accumulates in them.

Just out of curiosity, when you change the HEPA filter, do you ever use a flashlight to look at the post filter surfaces of your unit? If you are seeing ANY dust buildup on those surfaces, including the air return fins, then you are actually breathing worse air, air concentrated with particulate matter, than you would without the filter. A few online articles mention a placebo effect involved with residential air filter use. A few mention that the sound of the filter helps some folks.
That doesn't make much sense; if the "dust buildup" you refer to weren't trapped there, it would have in the air that I breathe.

I have several portable Honeywell air purifiers throughout the house. I keep a medium sized unit in my bedroom. I have it on all day, but turn it off at night while sleeping, because it tends to make the room too dry. All units make the air smell cleaner and have helped reduce my asthma attacks considerably. We also use a HEPA filter system with the heat pump unit. I no longer have house pets, but I think the air purifiers helped with pet hair and dander when I had a house cat.

That doesn't make much sense; if the "dust buildup" you refer to weren't trapped there, it would have in the air that I breathe.
Huh? It makes good sense. If any dust is found post-filtration, then it's a definite that some of the dust, that you are not seeing, is being blown out of the filter, for you to inhale, while some is electrostatically attracted to the plastic surface. If the filter is actually trapping all particulates that pass through it, nothing should be found in the filter, post-filtration.

Here's a low cost answer for air filtration. It is very easy to put together a box fan and a filter. I have one and it works just fine. Check out the video:

I used to have a few of them running at all times. Really cleaned the air and reduced the exterior noises by putting white noise in my living quarters. I didn't buy them online at the time, though. Bought them at Wal Mart. I slept better and was less bothered by external noise plus they cleaned the air. And yes, they helped me sleep better. Now I just use regular fans.

@fmdog44
I like the Aireox brand air cleaner, and usually I have it in the bedroom, where I feel it does make the air much better, and is good for me, since that is where I spend the most hours. I cough less, I breathe better, with it, and I personally don't have any of the problems mentioned in above posts, that others have had.

All of them make some sound, and I am sensitive to noises, but they need to have a motor and fan, to move the air about the room.
I selected this one, partly because the sound is not loud or rattily or uneven.

I also like this one, because the filters together in one replacement unit, are easy to slide out the old and in the new)
the filter materials clean out more different things, than the cheaper machines that are sold that are made to only clear out the largest particles.
I would look for one with a tiny size micron filter (the tinier number, the better imo) in order to get the most of vapors as possible, in addition to the larger air particulates, that most any air filters get.

This one is very portable, which i also like, because it helps me in any other room, if it's brought there, for a few hours.

I can tell that it does noticeably clean out things that are problematic, (smoke or fumes or odors, or dust)
when taken to any room.
I don't believe my effects are a placebo, because most anyone can notice the difference in the air in the one room it is in, whenever taken places.
In fact, I wouldn't go to any hotel room without it. Or visit overnight anyplace. It clears out the noticeable scents in any room, in max of a couple of hours.

Yes, when the filters are changed, it does get vacuumed out and wiped out. You can even vacuum the outside in between.
I myself, I don't find any problems with it. Other than the expense of the initial purchase, plus then you must buy replacement filter sets, for any that you buy. It wouldn't be worth buying any, if one couldn't buy the filters and replace them.

I am sharing my own experience with it, in case it helps you or anyone else, not to contradict anyone else's info or input or ideas or experiences. I thought it would be helpful for me to add mine. I live where it's dusty, plus, car exhaust fumes and other peoples cleaning chemicals and perfumes, etc, get into my apartment, so it's worth the big expense of it, to me, personally.
Thank you!!

I have an air purifier in the room where I keep my pets, and have noticed a big improvement in the smell of the room. I did have one in the bedroom but can't say I noticed any difference in my sleep quality. The ones I have were the small, cheap ones which don't have filters, but it's amazing just how much dust accumulates in them.
What brand & model number?

If someone wants ONLY the white noise for a gentler sound to block out other noises,
then there are sleep sound machines, that are much cheaper than air purifiers, or a fan works if it isn't chilly where you are.

The sleep sound machines are a different topic, so I will not go into those details, unless asked. ;)

Back